Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Audible noise for ev and hybrids

Cbatoday

In my opinion the noise is audible to pedestrians.  I've had a few people look at me as if to say "that's a weird noise".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My neighbour has a newer Rav-4 and it's not loud enough to hear through double glazing but if you're outside you can hear it quite easily. It sound a bit like a UFO - whoooooo 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What surprises me is that as a pedestrian even fully electric cars sound very little similar  to standard combustion engine cars. The road noise the sounds of suspension, music systems and wind noise all combine to produce a less than silent effect. Modern combustion engines (boy racer tuned vehicles apart) are actually very quiet

• Like 3

On 4/20/2022 at 8:56 PM, AJones said:

I'd agree with you on the earlier EVs and hybrids because these didn't have any noise generating system, so they really are almost silent at low speeds but I thought the newer models were all fitted with an acoustic warning system, has it got one and it's just too quiet, or don't they have them?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-noise-systems-to-stop-silent-electric-cars-and-improve-safety

Hi and thank you for your response.

It is fitted with a sound, but I experiencing that pedestrians and animals only see me if I turn up the music or use a horn. Other makes of hybrids are even worse, in my opinion. Just noticed that hybrids are good for the air and for pollution.

Although I do feel that the sound should be made more noticeable, at slow speeds.  It is a huge concern that these new models are so quiet and I wondered how others were finding the experience, when they were driving hybrid vehicles.

JTD, noisier?  But think on a few years.  Imagine in a busy car park, say a supermarket with several lanes.  If several cars are all moving with electronic sounds you will know they are moving but can you locate the nearest sound behind you? 

As it happens my hearing aids work best in the front arc and are much less efficient with noise behind me. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links