Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota avensis hard start

James_Delahunt

hey everyone theres a few videos on youtube that show exactly my issue 

now i read the comments on this video i already changed my glow plugs w Bosch new plugs and genuine toyota fuel filter another thing some were saying it was the egr valve but i doubt it another few people say its scv suction control valve on the pump can anyone pinpoint or shed light on this i had a feeling it might be fuel leaking back to the tank overnight my lines though i checked them theyre secure just to rule that out i bought non return valves and i will fit them when they arrive if that does not fix the starting issue im going to look at SCV i have 180000 miles on my avensis and no trouble codes and injectors appear ok too on live sata as does everything else also like to mention i hear one click when i turn the ig to on to let the glow plugs heat before i turn further to start cranking after and the engine will start revs will go to between 700 and 900 and then it will knock off SCV controls or meters the fuel supply to the rail and injectors so maybe it us the scv my engine is 1ADFTV

Try manually priming the fuel pump before starting where you would normally expect a hard start. This should provide an indication to help you decide if the fuel is leaking back. I'm assuming you know how to do that,  but for anyone not apprenticing to a Toyota service department,  there is a small black plastic button on the high pressure fuel pump. Press this button a few times, until it considerably stiffens up. If it starts off pretty stiff already,  then I wouldn't immediately suspect that the fuel is leaking back. If it consistently starts easier when primed,  then your check valves might help some. The SCV update requires an ECU software update. If you already have the upgraded valve fitted and are just replacing a tired valve,  the software update is probably not needed, but it may be worthwhile checking your current version.

1 hour ago, paul9 said:

Try manually priming the fuel pump before starting where you would normally expect a hard start. This should provide an indication to help you decide if the fuel is leaking back. I'm assuming you know how to do that,  but for anyone not apprenticing to a Toyota service department,  there is a small black plastic button on the high pressure fuel pump. Press this button a few times, until it considerably stiffens up. If it starts off pretty stiff already,  then I wouldn't immediately suspect that the fuel is leaking back. If it consistently starts easier when primed,  then your check valves might help some. The SCV update requires an ECU software update. If you already have the upgraded valve fitted and are just replacing a tired valve,  the software update is probably not needed, but it may be worthwhile checking your current version.

hi thank you so much for getting back to me i am handy myself w cars so i can do what you guys say or tell me to do my scv makes a small bit of noise when i listened to it so it cpuld be tired out i will check out that black cap on top of the fuel pump however on the fuel filter hpusing i primed that a cpuple of times to try help it start and still to no avail so i will try that one on top of the pump see if it helps or if its gard as you said if its not hard i presume that means changing the scv ?

I was thinking of removing the SCV and possibly cleaning it see if any dirt comes out if not then ill replace tge SCV with a new one like its as if tge glow plugs and circuitry are not to blame but theres an issue with fuel supply SCV controls or meters the fuel going to commonrail from the high pressure pump i also think maybe my primer unit or fuel filter housing unit w primer could be weak allowing fuel to loose pressure and possibly go backwards towards the tank thats why i purchased 2 non return valves some guys said its the egr as i mentioned but honestly i cant see how an egr can effect starting performance btw forgot to mention specs if my car uts a 1ADFTV 2.0 d4d 2008 126hp avensis saloon 

also attached are images of the SCV in mine i was told too that it was mainly the older 1CDFTV engine that gave issues with its SCV valves mine is the newer type 

Screenshot_20191215-231100.jpg

Screenshot_20191215-231040.jpg

Sorry,  I meant the button on the fuel filter housing, not the fuel pump.  The SCV is fitted to the pump.

I had what seems to be exactly the same problem with my 2008 Avensis 1AD FTV, my problem only occured on coldish mornings.

I found a website that suggested that it was probably the SCV,  I tested the internet theory by heating the SCV with boiling water on mornings when I was confident that the car would not start. The car started immediately when the SCV was warmed.

I got Mr T to fit the new upgraded SCV and upgrade the software - it was an immediate fix.

P

On 12/22/2019 at 12:31 PM, fy08avensis said:

I had what seems to be exactly the same problem with my 2008 Avensis 1AD FTV, my problem only occured on coldish mornings.

I found a website that suggested that it was probably the SCV,  I tested the internet theory by heating the SCV with boiling water on mornings when I was confident that the car would not start. The car started immediately when the SCV was warmed.

I got Mr T to fit the new upgraded SCV and upgrade the software - it was an immediate fix.

P

That being said replacing the scv is easy its 2 bolts and an ohring onto the high pressure pump but the thing is the coding is something only toyota could do and also if you replace the scv with the same code version of the old one then tjis doesnt really fix the issue as far as i can see folks i remember the old 1cdftv the old 2 litre d4d suffered with scv and clearly so does the newer 1adftv 2 litre 126 well i dont mind replacing the scv

Just  poured hot water on my SCV and my recently hard starting D4D 2 litre started great. It saves disconnecting the glow plug rail to test them, I suppose. Although I will probably try it again on a colder morning, as it was about 6 degrees C when I tried. I'm not sure about getting the software update, I will have to check at the local dealer,  they seemed pretty good there when I was in for a recall.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links