Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High pitched squeak at start up

ClairS

Hi folks,

I wonder if you help me please? When the weather started getting colder a couple months back I noticed a high pitched long squeak when I started up and moved off my drive for 15 seconds or so.

Bern into Toyota once. Replaced front pads. They sometimes stuck on when wet and left out at work for a few hours so I assumed this was also causing a squeak.  

A few days later noticed again. Take it back in. Replace front pads again and think it mat be a loose clip. I tell them you just did this 2 weeks ago and it hasn't fixed the issue? Are you saying the clip was not fixed properly initally and then again after you replaced front pads?  They say no that's not what they are saying. 

I'm convinced it's from the middle to rear of car. I asked them to check the rear and elsewhere when I took it in both times. Still waiting to hear back at the min.

Does anyone have any ideas or have had similar issues please?

Thanks

Clair 

Has the dealer actually heard the squeak? Does it only occur when the car is left standing for hours or does it occur every time the vehicle starts?

• 4 weeks later...

I dont have the C-HR but i do have the new corolla. I posted something similar to this in the corolla forum but no one seemed to have experienced something similar. For me when i move my steering wheel a few degrees to the right it will start squeaking, it's as if plastic is rubbing on plastic, a really annoying sound. This has happend however 2-3 times and hasn't done it again for over a week now. I think it makes that sound whenever it gets really cold. I live in athens, greece where it doesnt get that cold during the winter but those days that the temperature dropped signficantly (4-5 degrees celcius during the day and 0 to -1 degrees during the night) my steering wheel started squeaking.  

I don't have a C-HR or a Corolla, but last year I did take the upper half of our Auris's steering column off the car.  I think it is realistic to think that the Corolla is basically very similar.  The upper half of the column runs in very substantial roller bearings that are well-greased.  But there is also a circular plastic enclosure that contains the 'clock spring' cable.  This is the device that allows all the steering wheel mounted switches and airbag to connect to the wiring loom via an enclosed ribbon cable.

One part of this moves with the steering wheel, the other piece of the enclosure stays static.  I would think that your squeak comes from here.  Your car is obviously under warranty, but I would guess a price of about £300 for this part.  If it was this, then I would not think there is any easy fix, for a dealer I think this would just be a replacement.  There is a chance that the rubbing parts will eventually wear and the noise will stop, but I'm guessing.  If it was my car and out of warranty, then i might try the careful application of a tiny amount of grease to the close fitting plastic parts. But that is quite a lot of effort for an intermittent squeak.

The steering wheel needs a puller to remove it from its tapered shaft, by the way, and the airbag needs to come off too.

An Auris one looks like this, on the far left of the picture, with the grey tape across the bottom of it.

P1120078.thumb.JPG.8c708e199d3f351712bbf371dda6b9bf.JPG

Other forum posters might have some other ideas.

The bare steering column without controls etc. is below.

P1120072.thumb.JPG.b40d6cea1f3451f42744264b71791455.JPG

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links