Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise in engine

Gizmot

Hello, new to here but wanted to enquire about a noise that I think it’s coming from the engine. I have a 2014 Toyota Aygo. The noise starts when I move off either when I just start or on a junction but doesn’t last long. It doesn’t always happen though. It sounds like the timing belt is going but I researched it seems that this car doesn’t have that anymore. Is this correct? If so does anyone know what it could be. I’ve been checking the oil and I did top it up about 3 weeks ago. I do high mileage but have been noticing it not go down that quickly which is why I haven’t been checking weekly. It is due for a service so maybe an oil change just needed? If anyone has any advice about this it would much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gina

Since you do not describe the noise character, we can only guess widely. Have you checked your fan belt? It IS an old car.

41 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

Since you do not describe the noise character, we can only guess widely. Have you checked your fan belt? It IS an old car.

As I said it sounds like when a belt is going like a screeching sound. That’s all I can describe it as. I’m sorry I can’t be more specific as I’m not sure how to describe it. It’s only 5 years old. It’s not that old. I haven’t checked the fan belt as I wasn’t sure what it was, but it’s not a squeaking noise like that. I just wanted to know, if this series of Aygo had a belt or chain? As I don’t want to fork out in changing the timing belt if I don’t have to. 

Aygo engines have a timing chain, not a belt.

Alternator/ water pump drive belts ( used to be called fan belts but the fan on an Aygo is electrically driven) can make noise if tired or not as tight as they should be, especially when moving off or just after starting when the Battery demands extra electrical charge.

Should be checked when serviced but ask for it to be checked specifically or they may not bother to check the tension if the belt looks OK.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, johnan said:

Aygo engines have a timing chain, not a belt.

Alternator/ water pump drive belts ( used to be called fan belts but the fan on an Aygo is electrically driven) can make noise if tired or not as tight as they should be, especially when moving off or just after starting when the battery demands extra electrical charge.

Should be checked when serviced but ask for it to be checked specifically or they may not bother to check the tension if the belt looks OK.

Thank you! Will definitely get them to check that then. 

On 12/19/2019 at 8:30 AM, Gizmot said:

Thank you! Will definitely get them to check that then. 

hi gina

have you tried a belt dressing spray here is a video for you to listen to and see if its the same noise you can hear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links