Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VSC, 4Wheel drive, check engine

DouglasHowes

Good evening,

My 2006 Rav4 T180 when in the garage for the following: VSC, 4Wheel drive, check engine followed by accelerator dying. Turning off restart the car and lights remain but accelerator can be used. 

Now been in the garage for 8 weeks and have finally said all 4 injectors are faulty and the cost to renew is £2500. 

Prior to this the following items have been changed as recommended by the garage:

Battery

Filter Helmet  

air filter 

pump sensor 

please advise if anyone has had similar issues, I’d be better off scrapping the car really.

Thanks 

Find another garage asap, one that's got half a clue, what are the error codes ?

What engine ?

Honestly i would do a smoke test as it could simple as a bad vacuum hose, common culprit is the small vac hose that goes to the intake manifold, those lights put the car into limp home mode so it doesn't kill the engine

The car doesn’t go into limp mode it drives normally just with the lights on on the dash. As advised earlier is a T180 Rav 4 (2.2d).

Any advice welcome 

Anyone got any input, before I scrap the thing lol?

Moved to the Rav4 club.

Get the brake light switch checked out,faulty switch can cause curious problems,not uncommon on Rav4. If thats ok. get a competant mechanic to read any fault codes stored in the ecu and take it from there,hope this helps.

As above, take it somewhere else doesn’t sound right to me .

Mine had it a few times, the easiest thing is to clean the EGR, or more expensive is to replace the EGR; my next problem was the DPF clogged and they couldn’t clean it by forced regeneration, luckily I found a third party DPF for about £250 rather than 10x that as Toyota wanted. Finally it drove but smoked badly, T couldn’t locate or fix, the same guy that fitted the DPF eventually tracked it to a stuffed fifth injector squirting but not igniting, coded that out and (touch wood) seems good since then.  My mate had serviced the four main injectors before trying the fifth, said they were clean anyway (wonder if T had cleaned them while trying to sort the smoking. 

As above, get a trusted second or even third opinion. Shame to scrap it.  I’m in Portugal where mine is still worth maybe 15k so it was worth me persevering. He had warned me a replacement fifth injector might cost £600.

I put the link for the bargain DPF in one of my earlier threads on this forum if you need it. 

Good luck. 

It’s now at another mechanic. Surely if all 4 injectors were knackered the car would not drive at all? It runs fine. 

Ok so fault code was major fuel leak, yet no apparent leak, any experience with this? 

What is the actual code ? As I said above get a smoke test done on it, a simple leak down test will show if it's a bad injector and what one(s) it is, rather than throwing parts at it

Dippy. It's a 2006 so no DPF (dpf's didn't come in until late 2008 and some car's didn't get them until late 2009/10)

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

Dippy. It's a 2006 so no DPF (dpf's didn't come in until late 2008 and some car's didn't get them until late 2009/10)

The car in question is described as a T180 - so that means a D-CAT engine from introduction in 2006. The D-CAT comes with Toyota's DPNR which does NOX reduction in addition to the normal particulate filtering but it is a DPF by any other name ...

I can't help in the slightest with the fault analysis or resolution but we may as well be clear what engine we are working with ... 😉

I was thinking of the bog standard 2.2, the chances are if it has been dumping raw fuel via a bad 5th injector its likely of screwed the cat and DPF

When do you call it a day, trade value is £1200-1400 (£2.6k-£3.4k)

I would say it is extremely unlikely that all 4 injectors are faulty at these same time. The fault lights can be caused by something as simple as brake light switch (as previously mentioned). It happened on our previous Rav4, I didn't even change the switch, I just jiggled it. But a new switch is only about £20, so worth a try. Engine losing acceleration could be just going into "limp home" mode as the car thinks it has a problem, doesn't necessarily mean there is a real problem.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:11 PM, flash22 said:

I was thinking of the bog standard 2.2, the chances are if it has been dumping raw fuel via a bad 5th injector its likely of screwed the cat and DPF

When do you call it a day, trade value is £1200-1400 (£2.6k-£3.4k)

Value in spain is about 2 x the value in the Uk. But I need to get it fixed to change the plates over. Driving now but back into the mechanics after Xmas