Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has anyone replaced the headlamp units on a Mk1 T-Sport?

Silver Yaris

Hi all,

A headlight bulb blew yesterday and when I removed the bulb this morning the clamp that holds the bulb in place completely broke off the back of the headlamp unit. I have fitted the bulb in and tried to get the rubber seal around it as best as I can (which to be fair is doing a good job) but the beam seems to be sitting a bit on the high side which will be due to the bulb probably not sitting 100% right. I am going to remove it again over the weekend and see if I can get it to sit any better but failing this, do I have any options other than to replace the unit itself to ensure that the bulb sits as it should?

I have been scanning eBay and can see that you can buy 2 x brand new headlamp units from various suppliers for under £100 has anyone done this and are they any good as when I look at Toyota prices they are £200 each? Also, some places are suggesting that the T-Sport headlamp units are different from the standard 2003 - 2005 Mk1 Yaris - is this correct?

My Yaris is due an MOT at the end of next month and I am conscious that it will more than likely fail at the moment unless I either come up with a fix to my problem using my current headlamp unit or replace it so that the beam is correct. The only things that concerns me with replacing them both is ensuring that beam is set to the right level (which I am sure any decent garage could do) and ensuring that the motors work for adjusting the height of the beam.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Martin 

Hi Martin

Any chance of a picture of the broken part as there might be a easy fix before you go down the road of replacing them.

5 hours ago, stantheman1 said:

Hi Martin

Any chance of a picture of the broken part as there might be a easy fix before you go down the road of replacing them.

This is the clamp in question. Unless I'm mistaken, it's supposed to be attached to the headlamp unit? I'm going to fit it anyway & see if that sorts things out. 

20191221_145707.jpg

20191221_145720.jpg

20191221_145725.jpg

Yes I have replaced my lights, the T-Sport lights indeed are different compared to the other lights which are for the french built models.

You can fit the cheaper french built lights but you need to get the plugs too as they are different

You can recognize them being T-sport lights if they have the motors built in, they also are non removable.

These are sold under a range of different brands but the main manufacturer is Depo, they are sold under the following names:

* Van Wezel
* Abakus
* Johns.
* Depo

Best bet to find them will be on Autodoc, I could supply you the p/n's but they would be no good for you as my car is LHD.

• Thanks 1

Quick update on this, whilst trying to fit the retaining spring / clamp (bearing in mind that it's no longer attached to the headlamp) it's shot off in to the engine bay somewhere & I can not find it. Been to Halfords to see if any of their universal clamps will fit & they won't, they reckon it needs to be the original which I've no longer got & doubt that Toyota will sell them given that they are supposed to be attached / part of the headlamp unit itself. 

The guy at Halfords suggested trying to put some heat tape around the bulb to almost wedge it in place but I'm not convinced that will work. 

Any other suggestions before I end up going down the route of a new unit? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 10:46 PM, lani100 said:

Yes I have replaced my lights, the T-Sport lights indeed are different compared to the other lights which are for the french built models.

You can fit the cheaper french built lights but you need to get the plugs too as they are different

You can recognize them being T-sport lights if they have the motors built in, they also are non removable.

These are sold under a range of different brands but the main manufacturer is Depo, they are sold under the following names:

* Van Wezel
* Abakus
* Johns.
* Depo

Best bet to find them will be on Autodoc, I could supply you the p/n's but they would be no good for you as my car is LHD.

Ian, after hunting high and low for a solution to my problem (I didn't want to pay £30+ for a 2nd hand unit that may break like mine has) I've ordered 2 new headlamp units. 

How easy is it to swap the units? I know there are bolts at the top of the lights themselves but do I have to drop the bumper or anything else to gain access to swap them? 

Saw this post a bit late. I'm surprised no one can tell u this earlier, with so many experts in here. I previously owned a 2002 1.3 Yaris and I have changed bulb and clip the metal holder back in position to hold.

That metal clip pictures I don't think it's broken. It's a clip to hold the light bulb in the holder. But u have lost it 😞

U might not have to change the whole new unit (unless u want to) just get the clip from a unit and put into the current one. Check to see how they fit. Damn, it was just a metal light bulb holder clip, and u had to fork out for new headlight unit. 

I haven't changed the units before so cannot help. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe buy that metal clip from Toyota and return the new units for a return.

Unclipping and moving the front bumper is easy and shouldn't be a problem. There are two bolts that hold the headlight unit, one can't be accessed until the bumper is moved. With the headlight unit removed replacing the bulbs is a doddle. You will need to get a new clip from Toyota if you want to do the job properly.

On 1/2/2020 at 10:32 PM, snowBALLs said:

Maybe buy that metal clip from Toyota and return the new units for a return.

Hi snowballs, 

Toyota don't sell the clip separately & universal ones won't fit. That's the main reason I've had to go down the route of new headlamp units. 

I see. U may can try to fashion out and make a near similar shape clip out of a metal hanger? Then sell the units u have just bought. Just a suggestion. 

• Like 1

Have you got the headlight units yet ? The 1.5 is a jpp built car and parts do vary

Iirc you have to drop the bumper to slide it out of its mounts

Edit.

Yes, new headlight units have arrived (imported from Toyota Japan) so I know for certain they are the right ones as they matched them to my VIN. 

Just haven't had a chance to take a look as yet as full of flu 🤮

They were a few quid i know, you must love this car, The aftermarket has real problems with supplying parts for the Jap made cars

7 minutes ago, flash22 said:

They were a few quid i know, you must love this car, The aftermarket has real problems with supplying parts for the Jap made cars

I do love my little Yaris & I love a bargain too as I imported the lights way cheaper than Toyota UK which made them only fractionally more expensive than non oem ones from the likes of eurocar parts 👍

New lights fitted - yeah! 

Even with dropping the bumper & being very careful as I wanted to try and sell the drivers side light (as it wasn't broken), a part broke off it as I removed it which had clearly gone brittle over time. Never mind, nightmare now over 👍

20200115_151128.jpg

20200115_151107.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Been a while but any chance of a link to where/from who you purchased/imported your jap tsport headlights from. Motor failed on mine and  was over 200quid for one headlamp ouch!!. I'd like to replace the other so they match if I can get one at reasonable price. Thanks

On 9/29/2020 at 11:57 PM, colinello said:

Been a while but any chance of a link to where/from who you purchased/imported your jap tsport headlights from. Motor failed on mine and  was over 200quid for one headlamp ouch!!. I'd like to replace the other so they match if I can get one at reasonable price. Thanks

I got mine from a place called Yam6 who are very good & I have bought a few bits & pieces from them at massively discounted prices compared to Toyota UK .

It was £330 for both including delivery (not a massive saving on these & I could not find them cheaper anywhere else for OEM parts). The part numbers you need are 81110-52370 (drivers side) & 81150-52370 (passenger side) & the new units come complete with bulbs already fitted.

I am glad that I went for the pair as there would have been a significant difference in how one brand new unit would have looked against an old one even when polished up.

• 11 months later...

Are the tsport ones with the black bezels still available? Everything I've seen has the silver bezel like the standard yaris

I suppose the alternative would be to dismantle them and spray them

The part numbers as above are the correct part numbers for the T sport £175 each imported or £195 each from a main stealers

On 10/2/2020 at 3:34 PM, Silver Yaris said:

The part numbers you need are 81110-52370 (drivers side) & 81150-52370 (passenger side) & the new units come complete with bulbs already fitted.

too expensive for me unfortunately - i'll just order the Depo ones and maybe separate and spray them next summer