Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Battery.

Agent Orange

Hi Guys and may I wish you all a very merry Christmas. :newyear:

Well, I think that I finally need a new Battery for the little orange fella......7 years of faultless service is very impressive from a Battery that is about the size of 2 bags of sugar but the time has come and all that.  I'm not thinking of selling as we still love the bones of it, so I don't want to skimp on a replacement and after bookmarking a recommendation from @fordulike (Many Thanks, David) have been looking at this:

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/bosch-002l/

Whilst I'm happy to go with this one. I just wondered if anybody had any other recommendations and also might give me a bit of advice.

When I disconnect and remove the Battery, it might be a good time to give the empty space a good clean and possibly a coat of "Hammerite" and I wondered if anybody had done this.  I figure that I will have to retune the radio and set the clock but do any more things crop up when you have the battery disconnected for an hour or more?....I'm thinking air bags, idle speed or power steering etc.

I don't foresee any problems, but any advice is good advice and it gives me the chance to send you all the best for a Toyotally brilliant Christmas.

All the best, Folks! 😊

I get my batteries from Tayna - always good value.  This Varta Battery is the same as the Bosch one you are considering; it's made in the same factory, just branded differently.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/b36/

If you have a Battery charger with a "supply" output you can maintain voltage to your car whilst changing batteries, or you could run jumper leads from another car's Battery.  To avoid getting in the way of your work in the battery compartment the negative lead can be connected to any convenient earthed point on the bodywork whilst the positive lead can be connected to the positive terminal of the alternator.

• Like 2

Many thanks for that, Garth.....Good advice! 😊

I didn't know that about Varta and Bosch so it opens up my options.  Being "Old School", I have changed loads of batteries in my time but have never changed one on a car with air bags etc.  and was a bit concerned over the time issue if I was to start tidying things up.  Your idea of a Battery charger is something that I hadn't thought of and, seeing as I haven't got one, could be worth purchasing anyway.

Many thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.

All the best!:thumbsup:

In the old model Aygo, there is no problem with airbag on just changing the Battery. The radio presets will be lost though. I would choose a Battery with similar outer size but with maximum CCA cold cranking amps. The original one had a rather low CCA but was of good quality. You can actually even chose a slightly bigger Battery. There is place for it on the battery tray. Watch out for the battery height though. We dont want it touching the bonnet and short circuiting. There is a video on the you tube showing you how to do it. Really easy. I have done it twice in our aygo in the last few years.

• Like 1

I got one those Bosch jobbies in our 107, it done 6+ years service so far and still doing ok. Had a few Bosch batteries over the years and they all lasted over 5 years so been more than happy.

• Like 1

We've got a yuasa 3000 in ours. Bosch in my saab, and a crappy one in wife's hyundai (was desperate).

• Like 1

Many thanks everyone.

I went for the Bosch one in the end and got it from my local "Euro Car Parts".....£56.99 after the Christmas promo code, so I'm a very happy bunny. :yahoo:

All the best to one and all for a great Christmas and a happy and peaceful 2020. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all and happy new year,

I have a 2016 MMT Aygo and its 35Ah Battery gave up on me today (radio and power locks work fine, just clicks when trying to switch on the engine), after just 3,5 years and minimum usage - which sounds pretty strange to me - so I guess it's time to replace it. The small Battery window is completely dark.

My car is still under the extended 6-year warranty (that we have in Greece) and all three services so far have been at the same authorized dealer (some 40 km from home). I was wondering about the Battery replacement, if it makes sense to ask for an original Toyota Optifit battery (if there is one for Aygo). If not, should I go to an authorized dealer for such an issue or can I contact a local battery workshop to do the job?

Is there anything that I should point out (e.g. maximum output, resetting any switches) that the local generic workshop may not be aware of when having the battery replaced? 

**EDIT** I just got a quote from 2 different official dealers for 95 EUR (one added a 17 EUR installation fee, too) for non-Toyota-branded batteries - I didn't know it was so expensive!

A Battery is a wear and tear item, if the car isn't used that often the Battery will have a low charge over a prolonged period it will kill it, it may come back to life just by charging it

A good quality Battery like a Varta or Bosch s4 or s5 will be fine, no need to go to a main dealer unless you like to spend money

I owe this topic many thanks. It caused me to look into replacing the Battery [of unknown age] in my daughters 'new' Aygo.

And I stumbled from one result to another. First off Eurocarparts site came up with a Duracell- at £23.72. It then accepted a 50% off voucher code 5ALXRW5

That brought the cost to a grand total of £11.86.

I went to collect, expecting to be shown the door, but was given a Varta B18 Blue Dynamic 44AH 420 A with a 4 year warranty

824231432_batt.billjpeg.thumb.jpg.4b723aca6061a697d33e0ef800914672.jpg

Again many thanks to the OP!