Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Oil Change

BlueMax

Is there a service interval  to change gearbox oil in a Corolla D-4D turbo diesel engine?

What is the best gearbox oil to use and quantity?
Thanks!

2 hours ago, BlueMax said:

Is there a service interval  to change gearbox oil in a Corolla D-4D turbo diesel engine?

What is the best gearbox oil to use and quantity?
Thanks!

Hi there, if it's an automatic then you definitely want to change it, ideally at 50k and then at 50k intervals thereafter (or sooner if you tow or put the car under a lot of stress for some other reason). Ignore manufacturers telling you it's "sealed for life" - all that means is "it'll probably make it out of the warranty period" which is all they really care about. Those units are technically "sealed for life", because when the fluid's all burned up and the transmission goes out that's the end of it's life.

For a manual I don't know if you *need* to change it but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Always use the manufacturer specified transmission fluid, never anything else, no additives, and if the place you take it to uses the word "flush", walk away. Make sure it's serviced correctly and that the filter assembly is replaced if it has a replaceable filter. If it doesn't have a replaceable filter then the next best option is a double drain and fill.

HTH
Mark

• Like 1

hi m4rkw

My Corolla is a 5-speed manual. 2004 D-4D, genuine 53,200 miles.
Toyota do not specify gearbox oil change.
In May, I had engine oil change and lot of other work done by Toyota main dealer.
When I asked about gearbox oil change, the mechanic simply shook his head!
But couple of days ago, I noticed that the Haynes Owners Workshop Manual.suggest changing gearbox oil every 40,000 miles.
Confusing..

If you care about the car and plan on keeping it I’d change it. Manufacturers have a vested interest in lower on-paper servicing costs because that helps them sell vehicles. They also have a vested interest in cars making it out of the warranty period but not much further, because then they can sell you a new one. This is why we see them saying transmissions are “sealed for life” and quoting silly engine oil change intervals of 12-15000 miles. Its probably not as necessary on a manual as it would be on an auto but it’s definitely not going to hurt it and is way way way cheaper than having to replace the gearbox at some point.

• Like 2

It is curious that “sealed for life” gearboxes have a  drain plug and a filler plug.

Technically “sealed for life” isn’t a lie, because when the fluid’s all burned up it’s done. It’s just a question of how long you want that life to be.

My Service and Warranty book, which covers a number of models including the Corolla, states 4 years/40,000 miles for a manual gearbox/front differential oil change.

So Toyota don't say 'sealed for life' for their manual gearboxes. 

As Frosty says, every 40k miles, using  75w/90 GL4 gear oil,  2 Lts needed, 1.9ltr actual for a manual box, use Comma oil myself, if you check their web site they list all the fluids for your car.

Be careful undoing the fill /level plug as it can be very tight / to crack open and little space if your hands slip ! so use some tough gloves ..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links