Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starter overcompensate?

Shavestick

My T27 1.8 petrol tourer developed some odd starting noise.

Since last month when first starting up in the morning there is like a spike noise immediately as the car started.

This noise doesn't happen if starting at any other time, only early or first thing in the day.

The sound is like if you tried to start the engine while it was already started, like holding the ignition too long with the key.

The car starts fine it just that noise.

Can it be some sort of serpentine belt noise?

More than likely a sticking starter solenoid and its not disengaging correctly

• Like 1

Starting with the key, or button?

Could be the start up rattle, it fits the description perfectly.

You had the car serviced recently and the noise started soon after that?

Starting with the key, or button?
Could be the start up rattle, it fits the description perfectly.
You had the car serviced recently and the noise started soon after that?
Key operated, serviced in June and noise started last month.

If it's a rotational whirring kind of sound that slows and disappears a second or two after starting then yeah I'd say the first response is correct - starter not disengaging correctly.

Is the sound something like this?

Hi,

No nothing like that, it's very brief and not every time, it sounds like this one:

This sounds to me like the noise of an under-lubricated spinning shaft that has some free movement in it.  As it slows down, no longer under load, it is chattering.

I would imagine that, as the engine warms up, what's left of the lubricant turns to something more oily, (and the clearances may change slightly?), so the motor won't do it again until cold.

I should add that this suggestion comes from someone who, if I have ever stripped down a pre-engaged starter motor, has no recollection of doing it!

I haven't heard a car make this noise while starting for a long while.  I think there is too much mass in the armature for the starter rear spindle bearing surface to be running dry and making this noise, and if the motor is decently made then it will have a roller bearing at the rear, which wouldn't make the noise I think I can hear.  But it could be this area.  Some motors have a screwed-down detachable cap on the end of the motor shaft, so there is an opportunity to take that off without a strip down.  That off might give you a chance to check how that end of the motor is for bearing wear etc.

Or it could be a dry bush in the 'spinning area' of the engagement mechanism.

So, I think the noise might be stopped by some skillful application of grease, but what a pain to get it to where it needs to be! 

Happy to be corrected, of course.....