Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 2020 hybrid 2.0 - comma.ai openpilot, anyone using?

superclarkey

Anyone using comma.ai openpilot with a UK Corolla Touring? 

looking to order one from the states yet can’t find anyone using one in the uk that I can find.

its $1000 basically, turns your car into a much cleaver driving system.  A friend of my recommended it (from states) and there are plenty of videos of why its far better than the basic system the factory gives use etc.

interested to hear peoples thoughts.

will check with the insurance if its going to cause an issue, but lets presume for now its fine.

thanks

I had seen that a couple of months a go and whilst it looked intriguing i don't really fancy modifying the car in that way!

You will need to declare it as far as insurance is concerned...

Spoke with my Insurance as they wasn't that bothered as it still uses the factory system. 

I hear what your saying but its a plug and play unit, it can be removed very easily if required...  They just updated it also so that you can actually refit your trim afterwards. 

It would be great add on for the car imho but just wanted to see if anyone in the uk was actually using it first.

• Like 1

Keep in mind the model compatibility list is for US market models which are in most cases different from European models.

There are cheaper ways to commit suicide that don't risk taking other people with you.

And I say that as a 53 year old that has been programming computers for over 30 years.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AndrueC said:

There are cheaper ways to commit suicide that don't risk taking other people with you.

And I say that as a 53 year old that has been programming computers for over 30 years.

As a fairly recently retired industrial control systems engineer, I just had so many issues with this - but I think you have summed it up very succinctly!

• Like 3

On 12/23/2019 at 10:44 AM, superclarkey said:

Spoke with my Insurance as they wasn't that bothered as it still uses the factory system. 

I hear what your saying but its a plug and play unit, it can be removed very easily if required...  They just updated it also so that you can actually refit your trim afterwards. 

It would be great add on for the car imho but just wanted to see if anyone in the uk was actually using it first.

Is it worth checking with your dealer things like impact on warranty etc? It would be  a shame if something needed repairing within the 5 yr warranty, and Toyota walk away due to tampering with the safety systems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timmon said:

Is it worth checking with your dealer things like impact on warranty etc? It would be  a shame if something needed repairing within the 5 yr warranty, and Toyota walk away due to tampering with the safety systems.

I think I might be more concerned what the views of the police might be if I happened to be involved in an accident, especially a serious one!  And always remember, big brother Toyota is recording your data.

19 hours ago, Clockwork said:

I think I might be more concerned what the views of the police might be if I happened to be involved in an accident, especially a serious one!  And always remember, big brother Toyota is recording your data.

Indeed. But insurance seem comfortable for some reason. It all seems a bad idea to me, regardless. Since there are concerns about the system being able to dip the headlights automatically at the right moment, however good this software might be, it can only be as good as the hardware feeding it the information it needs to make decisions. I'm not sure I trust the Toyota hardware, however happy I am overall with the Corolla.

Its really only an add on to the factory system, but its still extremely basic, you need to be ready to take control at a moments notice.  

If your climbing into the back seat that is something different, however the unit has a backwards facing camera that monitors you paying attention, moment you stop paying attention it slows down by releasing the throttle.

my only reserve on getting one is that It will be in the way of my view, I would prefer it was 100% hidden.

8 hours ago, superclarkey said:

Its really only an add on to the factory system, but its still extremely basic, you need to be ready to take control at a moments notice.  

If your climbing into the back seat that is something different, however the unit has a backwards facing camera that monitors you paying attention, moment you stop paying attention it slows down by releasing the throttle.

my only reserve on getting one is that It will be in the way of my view, I would prefer it was 100% hidden.

There was a bad crash reported recently involving this kind of technology, not in this country, where the driver did not take control, I think they were using mobile or something. Reported last year. Anything that requires you to take control, means that while you are not, your attention will lapse. I think on British roads, probably a bad idea. Maybe try around Silverstone circuit with no other cars on the circuit, until developments have moved on a lot further.

• 10 months later...

They actually came out on top in a recent Consumer Reports study, beating Cadillac Super Cruise, Tesla Autopilot, and all the other major players in the market (inc. Toyota TSS 2.0).

So I am quite intrigued to try it out later this year, well after I get used to my Corolla TS TREK first, which hopefully will arrive next week!

You can find the report here and the overall ratings below.

image.thumb.png.d02ed46836bbb012d1e7d4ad92b7b352.png

Btw, they tested Openpilot with "2020 Toyota Corolla LE equipped with the Comma Two device" (as listed on the final page of the report), and Corolla, alongside Honda and Hyundai, is considered the best supported cars.

I’m a software developer at an autonomous vehicle company. Having watched some YouTube videos of this system I think it’s impressive and will only get better. However, it’s not safe or legal to take your hands off the wheel so these systems should only be used to finesse your normal steering inputs. I think the Toyota system is excellent at doing this already on the motorway when camera visibility is good and so I would stick with that system and consider it to be nothing more than an extra layer of safety that is never relied on as the primary decision maker for steering inputs.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

On 11/19/2020 at 10:25 PM, truantotter said:

So I am quite intrigued to try it out later this year, well after I get used to my Corolla TS TREK first, which hopefully will arrive next week!

So I made the jump and here's my experience 😃

On 1/5/2020 at 9:53 PM, Clockwork said:

And always remember, big brother Toyota is recording your data.

Genuinely curious what this means?! Please could you elaborate?

6 hours ago, AKLZ said:

I wouldn't pay much heed, the poster probably posted it on a smartphone 🤣

Telematics feedback to suppliers,  can provide important data in improving the safety and efficiency of their product.

Those who worry about it, will generally utilise tinfoil insulation to negate it  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AKLZ said:

All the information about your car's state of health and your driving style, route, speed etc are sent to a Toyota server when you switch off. You can then access that data via the MyT app.

Edited by RabButler
Spelling

13 hours ago, RabButler said:

All the information about your car's state of health and your driving style, route, speed etc are sent to a Toyota server when you switch off. You can then access that data via the MyT app.

Oh, I had no idea! That’s interesting and in some ways slightly disconcerting. Can that be turned off? I assume Toyota will ask me to sign a privacy agreement when I collect the car in order to allow this?

6 hours ago, AKLZ said:

Oh, I had no idea! That’s interesting and in some ways slightly disconcerting. Can that be turned off? I assume Toyota will ask me to sign a privacy agreement when I collect the car in order to allow this?

It's common to a lot (most?) modern cars. It's probably reached the point of 'if you want a new car, let them have their data'. given the level of ANPR tracking in this country I don't personally consider it a problem. I'd like to be able to send it to my insurer so that they can customise my premiums though. Pretty sure I'd get a bit of a discount.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AKLZ said:

There wouldn't be any identifiable data, remember we have extremely tough GDPR laws at the moment. 

All it does is relay vehicle data back to the manufacturer. 

In the event if a serious incident,  the car black box data, plus images, would be obtained by the police anyway, as part of the investigation. 

Toyota are in no way tracking,  or reporting you.

If you have a smart phone, of any description,  then the personalised data from that in one day outweighs the data sent to Toyota over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Equally,  every contactless transaction you make, will outweigh anything Toyota would ever hope to obtain during your total ownership. 

(I work in IT,with data)

• Like 2

Thanks for the info and explanation gentleman; I understand it better now. Thank you.

Yes I have this system in my Corolla 2020 (in contrast to most of local “experts” here giving you advice). Its fabulous. The stock system is joke compared to Comma 2. Also it is plug and play. I can rip it off anytime I want or in case of car crash so noone can ever know I was using it. However this system will increase your safety 10times if you use it correctly (eyes on road and hands ready next to wheel). Owning corola without this system make no sense to me. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Flekoun said:

(in contrast to most of local “experts” here giving you advice).

Members are just expressing their opinions rather than professing to be local experts, so show some respect for others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flekoun said:

Owning corola without this system make no sense to me.

I won't go this far as people have different preferences and ways of life 🙂

My main point would be - if you are intrigued by the idea yet are hesitant simply because you don't know whether it's good enough, I reckon it's time you give it a try.

You can probably tell from my videos how well it performs on highways, and I'm happy to share more of my experiences and answer your questions.