Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio code

Dan Dare

Hi All. I'm going to need to disconnect the Battery on my Camry soon. As I bought the car secondhand and didn't get an owners manual with it, I have no radio code (which I understand you need to re-activate the radio). Is there any way, apart form asking Toyota (who will likely charge) of finding it out? Not possible to ask the previous owner (who had it since new) as he has departed this mortal coil. A couple of online forums suggest trying the last numbers of the VIN. Is anything else worth a go if that doesn't work? Many thanks for any suggestions.

Are you disconnecting the Battery so it can be replaced? If yes, you can use starter cables to connect the wires to the Battery while you maneuver the old one out and new one in, or to a 3rd Battery on the side.  I also saw garages doing this (in case you dont want to do it yourself).

Have you tried taking the radio out? Usually if the radio has codes, people would write them to the casing once they found it out.

I would not experiment with the radio code as usually if you enter it wrong 3 times, they would usually go into some lock mode.

Have you been through all the documentation that came with it? Sensible people would write the code in the back of the manual or the service book.

5 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Have you been through all the documentation that came with it? Sensible people would write the code in the back of the manual or the service book.

I received no documentation, save the service log and V5. Service log does not have a code, so I assume the previous owner would not have changed it.

8 hours ago, furtula said:

Are you disconnecting the battery so it can be replaced? 

I'm having a stainless exhaust built/fitted. The Battery will need to be disconnected as it will involve some welding with it in situ once it has been fabricated.

Thanks for the suggestions.