Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic High Beam

Tripper1

Owner of new Corolla TS 2.0l Excel

I am finding about a one second delay to dip on the LED headlight with an Adaptive High-beam System

This is causing me to have to check the high beam light on the dash. On dual carriage ways it does not pick up traffic on the opposite carriageway

Previously owned Auris with similar system so used to driving with this system .

Understand that it is  not adjustable ???

Anyone else having this problem on such great car. 

Moved to the Corolla club.

Yup... it gets confused easily. It seems to take a while initially to dip the lights, though it does get better after 10-15 minutes.  It does auto dip when it detects street lights in my experience, and  sometimes dips when it encounters large reflective motorway signs. When in doubt, just dip the lights manually yourself.

Just wondering if anyone is having problems with the "Automatic High Beam". Mine only works 50% of the time so I've just about given up using it. 

• Like 1

I had it in my last 2016 Prius and now have the same version (2) as you in my 2019 RAV4.

It stayed permanently off in the Prius - the current version is slightly better, but still too inconsiderate to others for my liking, plus it won't always come on when I want it to, so it's still staying off.

I just wish I could disable the auto headlights feature - they can come on unexpectedly when entering shade from overhanging trees or when close to tall buildings, fooling others into thinking I'm flashing them.  It's caused 3 very near misses so far.  I've set the sensitivity to minimum (-2) but it doesn't help.

Mine works better than 50% but it definitely seems to be a weak area. Several times I've felt the need to intervene and manually drop the lights. It seems to be very pessimistic about how far the beams reach (though it might correct there) but seems to have a specific problem with cars approaching from above. My previous car was a Honda Jazz and I was happy to drive everywhere with it set to auto.

To be fair to these systems it's possible to map out the specific 'dazzle area' and most humans do overestimate what it is. There's often no need to dip your lights if the vehicle is approaching from your right on a tight bend and just because a vehicle is being illuminated by your lights doesn't mean the driver is being dazzled. It might be that Toyota have worked out that if a car is approaching from above the driver will only be dazzled if they look upward but I have my doubts.

But still - I trusted the Jazz and I struggle to trust the Corolla.

IMHO It's just about ok on nearly straight single carriageways, except that it will stay on high beam with cars some way ahead going the same way (not far enough ahead not be be annoyed by them), not something I'm prepared to allow.

On bendy roads or dual carriageways with the central barrier, it's just a recipe for getting flashed by almost every oncoming vehicle.

Near where I live there are some single track, very twisty lanes with some high embankments and lots of trees on the edge of the lanes, where it's pitch black at night. It won't switch on the high beams until above 27 mph, although when slowing it will let them stay on down to about 22.  Even though this doesn't sound very fast, dip beams just aren't good enough in such tight and spiteful surroundings.

See also 

It does seem to be a bit poorly implemented. As I said in that thread it's possible that 'the car knows best' but compared to other vehicles with this feature it seems harder to accept that with some of the things it does. For all that though the only time I've been flashed was a driver I wouldn't have dipped the lights any faster for anyway.

There's an interesting article here. Note the difference between beam shapes for LED bulbs, especially 'country lane' mode which seems to curtail forward illumination in favour of verges and signs. How/if that relates to the difference in how auto-dip works I don't know.

Also here which if true is even more disturbing if our cars are tardy in dipping :(

Ive stopped using the auto-dip. Too unreliable around dawn and dusk. And it’s not hard to do it myself 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 7:50 PM, rafletcher said:

Ive stopped using the auto-dip. Too unreliable around dawn and dusk. And it’s not hard to do it myself 

Me to, although I leave the automatic function on. I dip normally, but in case I forget on the very odd occasion, the auto dip is there as a back up. 

3 hours ago, Timmon said:

Me to, although I leave the automatic function on. I dip normally, but in case I forget on the very odd occasion, the auto dip is there as a back up. 

Yeah, me too. It's a shame because it worked so well on my Jazz but the Toyota implementation is just not trustworthy. I'll mention it when the car goes in for its service. Maybe if enough people do that Toyota might do something about it.

Guys, are there different versions of the automatic High beam? I am bit confused by the discussions here.

Mine is not just switching on its own high-low beam. It has several leds for the high and depending on the traffic it constantly switches on and off individual leds to leave dark spots where the car in front is. It is quite impressive to watch how the dark spot moves along the car in the other lane to leave it in dark, or how it makes a dark sport in the middle where a car in mine direction is and still lights around it up front. It switches to low beam only when the road is illuminated or I enter a city and the speed drops.

Are we talking about the same automatic high beam? Seems like you guys expect it to totally switch to low instead of for example complaining that these dark spots are not positioned properly/not reacting fast enough, etc? 

@OXYGEN it sounds like you have a more advanced form - I was unaware that Toyota had even developed that technology. In the UK all we have is the standard high/low functionality. At least that's all I think we have. I'm aware of the type of high beam you're talking about but thought that only Audi and Jaguar(?) had actually brought it to market.

Which seems to suggest that shuttering exists and might be available on some Toyotas sold in the UK.

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

@OXYGEN it sounds like you have a more advanced form - I was unaware that Toyota had even developed that technology. In the UK all we have is the standard high/low I'm aware of the type of high beam you're talking about but thought that only Audi and Jaguar(?) had actually brought it to market.

I'm pretty sure the latest Mazdas have it too, called adaptive lighting.  Their older system (pre 2017 or so) used to turn when you cornered, but the latest system turns on/off certain leds depending on what's ahead.

Taken from the toyota blog. Seems like the adaptive high beam never made it to the uk. 

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/explore-the-new-2019-toyota-corolla-comfort-and-technology

LED headlamps

Three LED headlight systems are featured in the Corolla line-up, according to model grade – a triple LED parabola unit headlamp; a bi-beam LED headlight with Automatic High Beam System; and an LED headlight with an Adaptive High-beam System.

I cannot understand the logic in this markets variations...

In USA they have different infotainment systems with something called Entune and several mobile apps to interact with it. CarPlay and Android Auto is standard for any trim and they have since the beginning of this version of Corolla.

In UK you have BSM and electric tailgate but miss 18 wheels and adaptive lights. In my country, BSM is not available for the touring sport even in the highest possible trim level. We also miss electric tailgate. But we have adaptive lights and 18 wheels.

Mobile app MyT is available in UK Apple/Google app store and you can use it to check trips, stats, etc. Recently they added even % of trip in EV and some Battery stats. In our stores MyT is unavailable. If you install it "unofficially", it still works, but some of the data like EV % and battery  (which is most important for me), is missing.

Ok, for some of these I understand it could be something related to local regulations, but for the rest I don't get their logic.

And in general why do they waste time and resources to make two completely different versions of the software and side apps for US and the rest/Europe that work on what looks like identical (at least visually and UI) infotainment system.

My T is a load of rubbish anyway. I finally got around to modifying my Android so that the car always has an internet connection over bluetooth. Yet I checked today and My T still thinks my car is parked outside my house and has no other information to offer.

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

My T is a load of rubbish anyway. I finally got around to modifying my Android so that the car always has an internet connection over Bluetooth. Yet I checked today and My T still thinks my car is parked outside my house and has no other information to offer.

My T works fine for me (on Android).  I have data for every trip that I've done since I signed up in October.  I also have trips for before I signed up but not complete data for these.  When the car is parked in my driveway it gets a wi fi connection although I am not sure if that is significant.

3 hours ago, OXYGEN said:

I cannot understand the logic in this markets variations...

In USA they have different infotainment systems with something called Entune and several mobile apps to interact with it. CarPlay and Android Auto is standard for any trim and they have since the beginning of this version of Corolla.

In UK you have BSM and electric tailgate but miss 18 wheels and adaptive lights. In my country, BSM is not available for the touring sport even in the highest possible trim level. We also miss electric tailgate. But we have adaptive lights and 18 wheels.

Mobile app MyT is available in UK Apple/Google app store and you can use it to check trips, stats, etc. Recently they added even % of trip in EV and some battery stats. In our stores MyT is unavailable. If you install it "unofficially", it still works, but some of the data like EV % and battery  (which is most important for me), is missing.

Ok, for some of these I understand it could be something related to local regulations, but for the rest I don't get their logic.

And in general why do they waste time and resources to make two completely different versions of the software and side apps for US and the rest/Europe that work on what looks like identical (at least visually and UI) infotainment system.

Agreed, it is very confusing, and the dealer does not supply a list of what we actually have. The owner manual is vague, referring to all features in case it is installed in your car. I was confused about the fixed first gear in the CVT, but after I received the car, I found that the fixed gear is in the USA Toyota, not the UK one! In the UK, the car starts moving in EV mode, then the ICE kicks in if you are pulling away quickly. 18" wheels, are available on the Excel model, I have 18".

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

My T is a load of rubbish anyway. I finally got around to modifying my Android so that the car always has an internet connection over Bluetooth. Yet I checked today and My T still thinks my car is parked outside my house and has no other information to offer.

I used to have the problem you mention re car parked outside house, and not able to use the map facility to find the car when in a strange town. Since the app upgrade, it works fine for me, and gives a lot of data about each journey. Did you update the app a few months back?

On 12/24/2019 at 2:14 PM, PeteB said:

I just wish I could disable the auto headlights feature - they can come on unexpectedly when entering shade from overhanging trees or when close to tall buildings, fooling others into thinking I'm flashing them.  It's caused 3 very near misses so far.  I've set the sensitivity to minimum (-2) but it doesn't help.

Yes, in the dark December days and now January days, my headlights are flashing on and off constantly, when moving from shade to sun. I've set mine to -2 as well. But in the rain, they often don't come on, and the minus 2 is not making much difference. In car parks it is quite dangerous, several cars have just pulled out in front of me. I think I will ask the dealer for a solution when the car goes in for it's first service. I would prefer an off switch, as the little light indicator on the dash board is not noticeable, so I have no warning that the lights came on.

Sometimes I get “your car is still moving and location will be saved once you park”, while I have parked in reality. But most of the time it shows the correct location. Only in underground parkings it shows the last gps fix at the entrance.

1 hour ago, Timmon said:

I used to have the problem you mention re car parked outside house, and not able to use the map facility to find the car when in a strange town. Since the app upgrade, it works fine for me, and gives a lot of data about each journey. Did you update the app a few months back?

Probably. Everything should be on auto update.

I've just had another look and actually it says to complete the process I need to 'contact your Toyota dealer'. It doesn't tell me anything more than that. Checking out the My Toyota site it seems like I actually have to go to them. There's a video though that says I can just send that email address to the dealer so I'll give that a try.

If not it'll have to wait until the service in March.