Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic High Beam

Tripper1

The whole logic around auto-dip is fundamentally wrong.  If it works as (incorrectly) designed your lights will dip when someone's lights are shining at you, whereas the correct solution should be that they dip when your lights are shining at them.

13 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Probably. Everything should be on auto update.

I've just had another look and actually it says to complete the process I need to 'contact your Toyota dealer'. It doesn't tell me anything more than that. Checking out the My Toyota site it seems like I actually have to go to them. There's a video though that says I can just send that email address to the dealer so I'll give that a try.

If not it'll have to wait until the service in March.

Yes, it sounds like your car is not fully connected to the system. I had this and in the end I had a conversation with Toyota on the phone. Aylesbury dealership were unable to help, I had to do it myself, and the call centre completed the connection. It got resolved in September. Very good when completed. Maybe the dealership will know what to do now, but in August, they were still trying to find out for me how to connect the car. 

I actually quite like the auto high beam and sometimes have a couple of issues but nothing too major.

I'm usually pretty good at reacting to the beam not dipping but i use it most of the time on my commute.

In fact i'm still using a lot of the TSS and have left all the beeps on, loving the tech, maybe i'm in the minority!

Finally got My T working. The dealer needed to register it then I needed to connect the car. First journey it claimed to have a problem - it knew where the car was but thought it was still moving. Tonight though it seems to have done everything it should. It knows the car is at home and is showing information about the last journey home. Interestingly it reckons 44% on EV (for an 11 mile journey - Banbury to Brackley). It also doesn't like the way I accelerate - well, sorreeee but I'm not pulling away from the traffic lights at the penultimate roundabout before the M40 during rush hour on electric only.

I also don't understand why the third category 'constant cruise speed' is shown as 'not applicable for this journey'.

Oh well, I'll see how it goes.

You have to brake and accelerate like a granny to satisfy MyT. No good in the real world IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rafletcher said:

You have to brake and accelerate like a granny to satisfy MyT. No good in the real world IMO. 

The braking I'm fine with. In fact I hardly ever use the brakes at all and when I do I can do most of it on recharge.

But it has some odd notions about acceleration that I've mentioned before and that sometimes seem to fly in the face of what I understand about ICE efficiency. Accelerating like a granny is only the most efficient way to drive in stop/start traffic. With the open road in front of you brisk acceleration is the most efficient. With HSD it's just before where the Battery steps in (the PWR part of the gauge) and on conventional ICE it's usually around 3k to 4k rpm.

7 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Finally got My T working. The dealer needed to register it then I needed to connect the car. First journey it claimed to have a problem - it knew where the car was but thought it was still moving. Tonight though it seems to have done everything it should. It knows the car is at home and is showing information about the last journey home. Interestingly it reckons 44% on EV (for an 11 mile journey - Banbury to Brackley). It also doesn't like the way I accelerate - well, sorreeee but I'm not pulling away from the traffic lights at the penultimate roundabout before the M40 during rush hour on electric only.

I also don't understand why the third category 'constant cruise speed' is shown as 'not applicable for this journey'.

Strange, my app doesn't say anything about EV mode. I only have average speed, max speed, hard accelerations and braking, trip distance. Have I done something wrong? 

4 hours ago, nielshm said:

Strange, my app doesn't say anything about EV mode. I only have average speed, max speed, hard accelerations and braking, trip distance. Have I done something wrong? 

I also don’t have it.

I couldn’t find the reason why so far.

Where are you located? I am not in UK and was thinking if somehow, for some reason, this info is available only for cars communicating with UK Toyota servers...

6 hours ago, nielshm said:

I just click on the Hybrid Driving Score. That takes you to a map which shows the EV bits in blue along with 'score comments'. If you zoom in and click on the comments it tells you what it thinks you did right or wrong. If I scroll the page up you can see statistics about the journey.

It dinged me braking at one roundabout this morning so I think I know what's triggering that. The roundabout is at the top of a rise and I always approach it on EV and lift off well before. It's perfectly placed to roll up to in order to maximise the limited availability on approach. However sometimes because of the limited availability and the tight layout you have to brake at the last minute. I was only doing about 15mph and it wasn't a sudden stop but I probably went straight to disc brake and I reckon that's what annoyed it.

For me the app just shows different type of data...

C7B83760-BE27-425F-A906-6F6F40B92AB3.png

8EB31CB0-BCF8-4AB8-ACC6-EDB6CA415FAC.png

8821D888-9D34-408C-B073-81AD70D98BBD.png

Looks like the information is missing from your app then. Odd. Perhaps only available in the UK.

38 minutes ago, OXYGEN said:

For me the app just shows different type of data...

C7B83760-BE27-425F-A906-6F6F40B92AB3.png

8EB31CB0-BCF8-4AB8-ACC6-EDB6CA415FAC.png

8821D888-9D34-408C-B073-81AD70D98BBD.png

Mine looks just like yours. 

One thing is strange with the automatic high beam....

It works really poor, and doesn't detect oncoming traffic. I have to override most of the time, and I stopped using this feature.

But high beam is always dipped, if rear taillights are visible at 200-300 m. distance. Tiny red dots in the dark, beam is dipped!! White brigt headlights heading straight towards me, nothing happens. 

So it actually works, if the lights are red. I wonder if Toyota can create a update, since basic function are in order??

2 hours ago, nielshm said:

So it actually works, if the lights are red. I wonder if Toyota can create a update, since basic function are in order??

I will be querying this when I get my car serviced for sure. I've tried again to use it recently bearing in mind with lighter evenings and mornings (yay!) there's going to be less need for lights and I've given up again. The system is really is quite poor.

Honda's is much better. I was in a friend's Honda the other day (part of the reason for trying out the Corolla's again) and one thing I noticed is that whilst Honda's system will delay dropping the lights until a vehicle is actually in front of you (ie; not to the side) it will not raise the lights until there are no vehicles anywhere ahead. This avoids flashing the lights on bendy roads with sporadic traffic. Also Honda's system will dip the lights immediately a car appears in front of you - Toyota's waits until an approaching vehicle is close which seems highly questionable.

I also find that it will keep high beam on when vehicles in front are a little further away but still close enough for it to potentially bother them (it would bother me!).  So mine stays permanently off.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:44 PM, AndrueC said:

It doesn't seem to work for local trips as you can't be expected to keep a constant speed. Once you get out on the motorway it will record, or even a trip up the A43 beyond Towcester, it will probably work. Last time I had an applicable journey I was on the M5.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Timmon said:

It doesn't seem to work for local trips as you can't be expected to keep a constant speed. Once you get out on the motorway it will record, or even a trip up the A43 beyond Towcester, it will probably work. Last time I had an applicable journey I was on the M5.

Ah, thanks. This cold snap has wrecked my fuel consumption again. I almost got the dash to show 60 mpg the week before but now it's down to 55. If it gets much colder I might turn in my first ever sub-50 pump to pump figure :(

6 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Ah, thanks. This cold snap has wrecked my fuel consumption again. I almost got the dash to show 60 mpg the week before but now it's down to 55. If it gets much colder I might turn in my first ever sub-50 pump to pump figure 😞

Yes, I was back to 54 for a while, just over 48 now((

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2020 at 6:15 PM, Timmon said:

Yes, in the dark December days and now January days, my headlights are flashing on and off constantly, when moving from shade to sun. I've set mine to -2 as well. But in the rain, they often don't come on, and the minus 2 is not making much difference. In car parks it is quite dangerous, several cars have just pulled out in front of me. I think I will ask the dealer for a solution when the car goes in for it's first service. I would prefer an off switch, as the little light indicator on the dash board is not noticeable, so I have no warning that the lights came on.

Has anyone figured a way to switch the headlights off? 'Auto' is just too sensitive, I notice that I'm continually flashing my lights as I pass under trees. Anyone tried taking a fuse out? Or rigging up a torch to illuminate the sensor? Any other ideas - other than a fairly serious rewiring?

1 hour ago, gregorypete said:

Has anyone figured a way to switch the headlights off? 

I see you have a Corolla, on my Prius there is, on the steering wheel light stalk, a revolving switch that takes out Auto, leaves you with manual. Does you Corolla not have that?

I see that was your first post so……. Welcome to the Toyota Owners Club. Enjoy

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

I see you have a Corolla, on my Prius there is, on the steering wheel light stalk, a revolving switch that takes out Auto, leaves you with manual. Does you Corolla not have that?

I see that was your first post so……. Welcome to the Toyota Owners Club. Enjoy

One thing I find questionable, why are you constantly sticking your 2p worth on the Corolla forum when you are constantly on about how much better your prius is  ?

I have had two prius in the past followed by an auris and I am on my second Corolla now. 

Horses for courses, stick to your prius if it's what floats your boat but please stop trying to "help" when you obviously don't know the model and have to backtrack after giving erroneous advice and information 

5 minutes ago, KandS said:

One thing I find questionable, why are you constantly sticking your 2p worth on the Corolla forum when you are constantly on about how much better your prius is  ?

From a moderating viewpoint, members may visit and comment in any of the forums within the Club, whether or not they own or have owned that model. If there is a breach of the Club's rules, then that is the prerogative of one of the moderators to intervene.

Please move on. 

The only issue I have with my Corolla's automatic headlights is that they stay on a little bit too long. I haven't noticed them flashing particularly. But still, it's one aspect of my old Jazz that I miss.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

From a moderating viewpoint, members may visit and comment in any of the forums within the Club, whether or not they own or have owned that model. If there is a breach of the Club's rules, then that is the prerogative of one of the moderators to intervene.

Please move on. 

Certainly, I have found the ignore member option and will put it to use