Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 2 rear washer not working

spog1

The rear washer motor sounds like it's working when it is switched on but no water comes out.  the front washer works just fine.  any ideas?  Fuse / motor / blocked tubes?

Thanks

Is it still below zero up in Cumbria at the mo? 😁  (But seriously, if it's near freezing the front washers may work but the rear may not!)

Check that there's enough water in the washer tank and that the rear washer jet is not blocked, also have a look if there's any water around the hinges when the tail gate is lifted. Are any of the mats in the car wet underneath indicating a leak? 

There is only one tank and one pump/motor in your car. If the front work then the pump/motor or water level is not the problem.

Weather related? 

Check the water jet for any blockages

Check the flexible hose for any blockages

Unlikely to be a blocked hose, most likely to be a weather related issue or a blocked jet

On my Yaris the reservoir connection for the rear washer is above the connection for the front washer.  If the water level is low the rear washer stops working but the front washer works for a bit longer. If yours is the same you might just need to top up the washer fluid.  I think there will probably be 2 pumps though.

Blocked rear jet tbh (the jet is a pain to get at on the mk3 with a spoiler)

open the tailgate and disconnect the hose it just pushes into the rubber on the car - test to see if the wash comes out when squirted if it does see if you can suck/blow on the short pipe that goes to the nozzle

15 hours ago, mecheng46 said:

There is only one tank and one pump/motor in your car. If the front work then the pump/motor or water level is not the problem.

Weather related? 

Check the water jet for any blockages

Check the flexible hose for any blockages

Unlikely to be a blocked hose, most likely to be a weather related issue or a blocked jet

Incorrect! there are two motors in the washer tank, one for the front and one for the rear.

• 3 weeks later...

Had similar problems with my Mk1, 

Neither washers were working

Front need the pump, which had failed,replacing but the rear just needed the jet unblocking.

Got my local garage to blow it clear with their compressed air line