Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D-Cat weak start - maybe pressure loss?

jocogr

Hi guys,

so I have a 2.2 D-Cat Avensis here from 2006 with 630 000 km's (tha's right) and we have a hard time starting it up in the mornings - or after 5-10 hours staying out in the cold. Imagine weak start like you turn the key in and it cranks 4-6 times reeeeeeeally slow, compared to a healthy engine.

SCV valve is brand new - bought it 'cause I tought it fixes my problem
Injectors checked as well, these should be fine.

We have no idea where to step next and everything costs a fortune, so it'd be great if someone had a good idea - we've heard a hint, that maybe the low pressure diesel system loses pressure somewhere/air gets into the system, can it be? If yes, what should we check and how? It's a secondary car, so wouldn't mind cheap DIY workarounds. :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

2 hours ago, jocogr said:

Hi guys,

so I have a 2.2 D-Cat Avensis here from 2006 with 630 000 km's (tha's right) and we have a hard time starting it up in the mornings - or after 5-10 hours staying out in the cold. Imagine weak start like you turn the key in and it cranks 4-6 times reeeeeeeally slow, compared to a healthy engine.

SCV valve is brand new - bought it 'cause I tought it fixes my problem
Injectors checked as well, these should be fine.

We have no idea where to step next and everything costs a fortune, so it'd be great if someone had a good idea - we've heard a hint, that maybe the low pressure diesel system loses pressure somewhere/air gets into the system, can it be? If yes, what should we check and how? It's a secondary car, so wouldn't mind cheap DIY workarounds. 🙂

Thanks a lot in advance!

Deffo Battery or starter motor solenoid try Battery first also be sure to check positive connection on starter for corrosion and all the earths make sure those connections are clean if that isnt the case itll either be Battery or starter motor

45 minutes ago, James_Delahunt said:

Deffo battery or starter motor solenoid try battery first also be sure to check positive connection on starter for corrosion and all the earths make sure those connections are clean if that isnt the case itll either be battery or starter motor

When I start the engine for the first time, it's bad, but if I restart right after - like in 10 seconds, whatever - , all fine... It shouldn't do so with a poor Battery, so nothing to do with it unfortunately - it'd be an "easy and cheap" solution though.

Connections also checked, just forgot to list it in the main post - any other ideas? I think it has something to do with pressure loss in the fuel system, feels like it..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kirk47 said:

Could be hoses are perished, if so could be drawing air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which hoses you mean exactly? Like, any of the hoses between the tank and the engine? haha

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links