Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adjuster bolt for drive belt query

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi guys

Planned to change my drive belt this morning, without removing the front bumper or drivers wheel and arch liner, instead I removed the under tray once jacked up and took that route, after which I followed the Haynes manual, 

I loosened the alternator upper pivot Bolt on top of the alternator, however I couldn’t get to loosen one of the two securing bolts for the adjuster at the bottom of the alternator, however I still managed to slightly push the alternator down to get the old belt off.

I then noticed that the alternator adjusting bolt, where it passes through like a bracket, that the top of the bracket with a hole in it that bolt passes through, is completely bent, I.e so the head of the bolt cannot sit on it any longer.

I should have taken a pic but it was so cold.

Do I need to buy another adjuster mechanism now? Are they expensive? Can this part even be removed to replace?

I walked away from the job so my car is unusable at the moment without a belt as I couldn’t get the new belt to tension up. Where have I gone wrong?

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys!

Sammy

Not sure if this video is similar to what you tried to do. 

image.thumb.png.332bc458ffa3b6c0edb79b6452b6cfc9.png  image.thumb.png.d91134a9a88e0e955b60df21d37c3e11.png

The design seems to allow for movement and angle change. From the video you only needed to loosen enough to slacken belt, but the bolt has to be screwed in (tighten), which is counter intuitive. If turned the wrong way, something will give! 
Since the Aygo shares many parts with the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107, the part price could be cheaper from many sources.

Hope you had a merry Christmas otherwise.    

Edited by Konrad C
additional information

9 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Not sure if this video is similar to what you tried to do. 

image.thumb.png.332bc458ffa3b6c0edb79b6452b6cfc9.png  image.thumb.png.d91134a9a88e0e955b60df21d37c3e11.png

The design seems to allow for movement and angle change. From the video you only needed to loosen enough to slacken belt, but the bolt has to be screwed in (tighten), which is counter intuitive. If turned the wrong way, something will give! 
Since the Aygo shares many parts with the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107, the part price could be cheaper from many sources.

Hope you had a merry Christmas otherwise.    

Hi. Thank you for taking time out to help me.

Yes that's the part I refer to.

Where you see the bolt resting on that top flat piece, mine us bent at an angle.

If I remove the part do you think I could straighten it...fit back on...and continue with the process?

Or should I replace the part? Cant see any on eBay for my 2008 under citroen either

If you want to try to straighten it, wrap it first with some cloth, or some fake leather if you have it, then try hammering it.

If you have thread cutting tool, would be nice to do one pass on the bolt just to clear  the threads if they get a bit mangled.

Anyway, it's just a bolt, you can go to your local hardware shop and get another, or get a bigger one and cut down to size. 

Found 1 local scrappy open today...rang him...he said yes madam I have a 2007 aygo I can remove tensioner for you...£20.00...I thought yay...walked the 3 mile trip there...only to find the whole damn part was bent...he mustv sledge hammered it to get it off...I said sir its bent...he said ok take it for £5.00 and straighten it yourself...

Yes I turned around and walked away! 

Waiting for my dealer to open tomorrow to get a price on a new one.

I think I should replace it because I remember a previous thread I had re belt squeal and somebody commented on my video I uploaded stating my belt was running a bit wobbly...so I recon it's this tensioner that's off balance because of abuse

Gosh who needs this headache 

Managed to take a pic tonight

20191226_175355.jpg

That is a bit mangled, what country are you in ?

i will have a quick look at part numbers

From the amount of abuse it took, it's not that bent at all, i would just straighten in out and reuse. The bent is not that big that it would tire the metal.

I like the discount he gave you tho, 75% off..

looks like you have A/C ? the long bolt is £3 and the main bracket is £7-12, and £4 for the L bracket, Be aware there are 3 types (if they are available)

there are a few on eBay just search aygo alternator bracket the part number starts with 16381-

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

That is a bit mangled, what country are you in ?

i will have a quick look at part numbers

Hi I am in the U.K,

part numbers would be helpful I guess

51 minutes ago, flash22 said:

looks like you have A/C ? the long bolt is £3 and the main bracket is £7-12, and £4 for the L bracket, Be aware there are 3 types (if they are available)

there are a few on ebay just search aygo alternator bracket the part number starts with 16381-

Ahh cheers, thank you, my search begins..now

I can only confirm parts with a VIN, you will have to speak to a dealer anyway regarding availability

Good news my fellow members...

Rang my dealers this morning...ordered the main bracket...long tension bolt...and the lower L bracket...£10.00 including vat...I can’t wait to get it fitted tomorrow and put my baby back on the road! Been driving my other half’s T27 for 2 days now...way to large for my liking!
Wish me luck tomorrow please guys

Hi all

What a day. Working in such tight spaces makes a 5 min job 50 hrs !!!

Successfully completed the tensioner change from old to new...wasnt easy at all getting done with the wheel arch liner removed but less time consuming removing the front bumper.

Carried out a full service too while I had it jacked up.

And swapped out my temp sensor for a new one...using an offset 19mm spanner...hardest job in the world! Had to torque it from underneath the car in the end.

Test drive her tomorrow since I ran out of time! Upon starting her up she was smoking alot...hmmm...has been standing for 4 days...hope it's not the temp sensor...these arent anything to do with the ECU are they?

20191228_112925.jpg

During the service noticed 1 spark plug was a bit discolour...it was the 1st one from the left...is this normal guys?

Noticed some thick mayo under the oil filler cap too!!!

20191228_201319.jpg

I see a bit of corona stain on one plug - its just oil particles attracted onto the porcelain by the HT. No problem.

Mayo probably from short runs. Don't worry if not using water..

18 hours ago, mrfixer said:

I see a bit of corona stain on one plug - its just oil particles attracted onto the porcelain by the HT. No problem.

Mayo probably from short runs. Don't worry if not using water..

Cheers mrfixer, puts my mind at rest!

Changed my rear shock absorbers today..

Such a simple job..atleast toyota made that job easy! 

Car feels totally different now...much firmer at the rear!

So far so good on the belt issue, with the new tensioner, new rear shocks, full service, and finally a dry boot, I'm feeling a bit happier about my Likkle Aygo.

My next plan is to fit some genuine Toyota aygo fog lamps, bought them off eBay used, getting them sprayed, and have just picked up the wiring kit from my Toyota dealers with templates to fix, fingers crossed it’s an easy diy.

do you need to replace the light stalk to one that has the fog light position on it

here is a link for a light switch for both front & rear fig lights

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Aygo-2005-2014-Left-Indicator-Stalk-side-light-headlight-Front-Rear-Fog/362560700824?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3AAygo&hash=item546a4d4198:g:a68AAOSwjKtcapJX

11 hours ago, eygo said:

do you need to replace the light stalk to one that has the fog light position on it

here is a link for a light switch for both front & rear fig lights

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Aygo-2005-2014-Left-Indicator-Stalk-side-light-headlight-Front-Rear-Fog/362560700824?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3AAygo&hash=item546a4d4198:g:a68AAOSwjKtcapJX

Hi

According to the instructions with the fitting kit...it comes with a switch that is installed under dash...I think next to the red button that looks like you put a key in it? Cant recall it because I am in the avensis at this moment in time...but sadly no there are no stalks involved on this installation.

Wonder if the 2005 sport models had the stalk to switch them on or a manual switch again...hmmm

just thought i would mention it in case you had forgotten about possibly needing one

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links