Do Not Sell My Personal Information

06 D-CAT using up coolant

MARKABCD

Hello fellow RAV4 fans.

I just wanted to run a quick issue past you all for advice. 

I’ve got an 06 2.2 D-CAT T-180. After a long hard drive (a few hours on the German autobahn) it seems to always loose about 6 inches of coolant from the header tank, out of the overflow spout (I can see the residue).

Mr T replaced a sensor 6 months ago and it’s not fixed it, but it was overdue a fuel filter change (I just did this). I’m pretty sure it’s not the head gasket thing...

Any advice?

Merry Christmas and thank you!

During normal day to day driving it does not lose any fluid?

Could be a hairline crack in the hose that expands due to pressure and heat, but works fine in day to day driving.

Thanks for the reply... there was nothing substantial that I noticed, after a couple of weeks commuting. I tend to check/top up before and after long trips and that’s where is clearly noticeable.

I had a DPF/EGR issue a year ago and I wondered if it was related to bad/failed regeneration of the filter and soot backing up in the system somewhere, but I couldn’t think how liquid cooling and exhaust/air intake could be connected.

It’s coming out of the overspill, if there was a cracked pipe, wouldn’t it just drop out the bottom somewhere?

You may want to check how tightly the coolant lid is screwed on. I had an issue (different engine) where it was too tight and as a result got slightly out of shape on the screw thread and when hot the coolant pressure built up and escaped. The solution was just too loosen it off a little bit.

How can you be sure it's not a head gasket issue, unless you have done a sniff test?

I had a similar problem with my 2004 D4D engine. Turned out to be caused by the coolant tank top pressure release spring being aged and letting the coolant escape. Solved by just replacing the lid. So its very easy and cheap to eliminate this as a cause by just replacing the lid with a new one..

Hello,

That sounds like a good solution! Cheap enough to try even if it doesn’t work!

Thanks

Mark