Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota verso - which engine?

ashyk36

Hi all. I was hoping to get some advice as I am looking at buying a Toyota Verso. My question really boils down to which engine is the best. I am looking at a model 2014 or above. Here are some of my points so far

- I have never owned a diesel due to my low miles, poor diesel reliability ( in my opinion) and just live petrol.

- My mileage is approx 6k per year

- I would like an automatic but I have heard the CVT is not great so unless I am wrong manual is fine.

- Whist none of the engines provide good performance (performance is not something I am looking for) I have read the diesel engine is more suited to this bigger type of car.

- Primary use is going to be in the city picking and dropping kids so fuel economy is vital.

My current thoughts are to go with a diesel but feeling a little uneasy - I have read the diesel is an older model BMW model.

What are everyones thoughts on here? Has the diesel got good reviews or should I get one of the petrols?

Thank you

The dIesel engine used in the Verso from 2014 is the BMW N47.  Regardless of fuel economy, if you're doing mainly short runs, petrol would be best to go for to avoid issues with the diesel particulate filter, etc. A few owners (certainly a couple on these forums) have also reported timing chain issues with the BMW diesel engines.

Hi, I'm just about to buy my third Verso. The Verso I'm replacing was the 2LT diesel, the new (secondhand) car will be the 1.6LT diesel. I have had no problems with reliability of any of my Verso's and I have no problem buying another diesel. I do about 10K miles a year. The runs I do are mainly long (100mile +) in frequently, so you probably won't get the economy on short school runs. However the 1.6 is £30 road tax per year rather than £230 that was on my old one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links