Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2015 Yaris plastic film bubble

Kieranm9090

Hi,

My 2015 Yaris has a bubble in some plastic film on the paint work the front bumper. I’m not savvy with cars so unsure how to get this sorted or what it means for the paintwork of the car, is this rust protection coming off?

from shat I understand the 5 year warranty only covers paintwork for 3 of them years so looks like I’m out of look for that. (Car first bought by previous owner November 2015)

Image of bubble attached

4F33A1D2-59C6-4A2F-83A0-0668FBD8E8D2.jpeg

The 3 year paintwork warranty is a separate warranty, but obviously is now not applicable for your vehicle.

Has the previous owner had paint protection film (a self adhesive film) applied to the front panels/bumper?

Paint-protection-film-for-car-200-micron.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The 3 year paintwork warranty is a separate warranty, but obviously is now not applicable for your vehicle.

Has the previous owner had paint protection film (a self adhesive film) applied to the front panels/bumper?

Paint-protection-film-for-car-200-micron.jpg

Very possible, is this film not standard with cars or would they have had the extra work done?

If I am seeing the 'problem' area correctly, then this looks suspiciously like the laquer top coat has started to lift off the paint.  It is quite possible that the bumper has been resprayed after an accident, and the area was not sprayed as effectively as the factory would have done it, although it might be defective from Toyota, possibly.

The part the paint is on is plastic, so there is no rust/corrosion problem at all leading on from this - this is purely a cosmetic problem.

But, if that bothers you then,  if the lifted laquer was carefully removed, the area could be thoroughly cleaned and some 'touch-up' (brush on) laquer put over it.  It won't be perfect, but it is likely to be good enough.  This would take just a few minutes.  Touch-up paint for your car from the Toyota dealer will come with two small pots, one paint, one laquer.  Don't expect much change from £13 though.

• Thanks 1

What Gerg says.

It looks like the lacquer is lifting. If that is the case, then it can only become worse as water penetrates and creeps underneath.

• Thanks 1

That’s brilliant, thank you both!

I think as you said it’s only going to get worse as time goes on and for a 4 year old car it’s not fantastic, so might give them a ring and pop in to peruse getting it sorted. At least it’s not a rusting component which was the biggest worry! I’m not sure whether it’s been repaired, well it’s not on Toyota’s system so it’s either a factory issue or external job, will have to see.

Thank you both!

I had the same thing happen on my old car. It was a respray, and after 2 years the same thing happened, color peeling off the corners.

Just a cheap respray.

• Like 1

Probably slightly poor paintwork from the factory. We've just sold a GT86 that had some lacquer coming off near a rear light - and pretty sure its original paint. Modern paint is not a patch on the old stuff.

Get a can of acrylic car lacquer off eBay. Flat the area with some very fine wet and dry (to lose the edge). Then dust over with your lacquer. Wait for a warmish day.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links