Do Not Sell My Personal Information

petrol smell

ProfGlenn

Hi - I have a ten year old 1.8 Hybrid.  About a year ago it started developing petrol smells.  Turned out to be squirrels eating the breather pipe.  Toyota wanted £600 for a new petrol tank.  I refused.  So I bought a second hand pipe and Toyota replaced it.  The squirrels ate the next section pipe along instead.  So Toyota realised that a new tank was not the answer and made some suitable pipe that fitted from a scrap exhaust.  It was then fine.  This was done back in the summer.  Recently I have been getting petrol smells - but these are different.  Previously I had got the (more persistent) smells outside (as well as inside) around the wheel arch.  This time, what happens is, with the heater on and the recirculation off, after about 10/15 mins driving I get a short burst of strong petrol smell and then it just disappears.  Notihing outside under the wheel arch or under the bonnet and nothing was picked up in the service last month.  Any ideas?  Toyota want £136 per hour to try to find a fault which may not exist....I'd appreciate any advice please.

Also, while I am here, my extended warranty expires in 3 weeks.  The car is 10 years old.  Is it worth taking out another extended warranty?  In the last 2 years I have only had a new horn covered by the warranty (it would have been about £300 without the warranty.  I am not convinced it is worth it.

Best

Glenn

As regards the extended warranty, only you can decide whether you think it is worth it for you.

Currently Toyota are providing two years extended warranty for the cost of one. Also includes two years breakdown assistance, two free MOTs and MOT failure warranty (£10 excess applies for this).

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty#

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards the extended warranty, only you can decide whether you think it is worth it for you.

Currently Toyota are providing two years extended warranty for the cost of one. Also includes two years breakdown assistance, two free MOTs and MOT failure warranty (£10 excess applies for this).

Thanks.  i get AA cover with the bank anyway.  It's a tough one.

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

what would the MOT failure warranty cover?  Would it cover ANYTHING (not normally covered by the extended warranty) that has caused the car to fail??

36 minutes ago, ProfGlenn said:

what would the MOT failure warranty cover?  Would it cover ANYTHING (not normally covered by the extended warranty) that has caused the car to fail??

Have a look at the t&c's

I guess the extended warranty will only cover what it will cover - so not sure what the fuss is about failing the MOT....that doesn’t seem like a great selling point to me....surely most things that cause the car to fail an MOT are not covered by the warranty.  So not much point in having the warranty to get through an MOT most of the time.

As stated the choice is yours - only you can decide whether or not to have an extended warranty.

Anyone got any idea what to do about the brief petrol smells that last 5-10 seconds?  Doesn’t happen on every journey.

9 hours ago, ProfGlenn said:

Anyone got any idea what to do about the brief petrol smells that last 5-10 seconds?  Doesn’t happen on every journey.

check for any perished or chaffed rubber hoses on the fuel system or the engine breathers

I took the car to an independent garage who inspected it for an hour and charged £60 for that - they said that could see no problem pipes.  They said the pollen filter stank of petrol and charged an additional £54 to replace it.  They also asked me to pay for an aircon bomb but I refused as Toyota put one in December 2018.  So today cost me £114 to change a pollen filter all because Toyota didn't check it properly in the service last month and because they wanted £136 per hour to even have a look at the problem. So I've made a complaint to Toyota Customer Relations.

Depends which service the last one was as to whether the pollen filter is checked/replaced. Intermediate service doesn't include the pollen filter being checked/replaced, whereas the Full service should include the check/replacement.

I would want to know why the pollen filter smelt of petrol ........

Hmm.  Thanks.  But I'd like to see if the pollen filter was the problem first - an aircon bomb will mask any unfound petrol problems ?

my way of thinking is to get rid of any smells in the car so you can make a better evaluation

to see if its fixed, if you dont use an aircon bomb anything you smell maybe residual and

could make you think the problem hasnt been fixed when infact it has.

1 hour ago, eygo said:

my way of thinking is to get rid of any smells in the car so you can make a better evaluation

to see if its fixed, if you dont use an aircon bomb anything you smell maybe residual and

could make you think the problem hasnt been fixed when infact it has.

Thanks.  You might be right.  I could try and get Toyota to do it for free when the MOT is being done in three weeks.  Well I have just been out in the car and there is now a burning smell.  But I don't know if that's normal with a new pollen filter.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Depends which service the last one was as to whether the pollen filter is checked/replaced. Intermediate service doesn't include the pollen filter being checked/replaced, whereas the Full service should include the check/replacement.

I would want to know why the pollen filter smelt of petrol ........

I had thought that with the petrol smells circulating before the breather pipe was replaced, the pollen filter may have trapped smells and occasionally a blast might come through.....?