Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VSC, TRC OFF & EML on 2005 Avensis 1.8 VVTI

CorollaMan1

I have had this fault appear on my car this evening and was looking for some advice. 

I am going to pick up an ODBII reader tomorrow but I'm just wondering if all engine management faults cause the VSC and traction control lights to come on with this car or if this is something specific to certain problems. 

Also if the lights are on is my VCS and traction control currently not functioning?

I've not noticed anything wrong with the car, still running as it has been. I checked the fuel cap was on ok and left the car off for an hour and checked and the lights are still there. Car has never skipped a beat in the 3 months I've had it and been driving between 5 and 600 miles a week. Oil level is fine, no leaks anywhere, the engine isn't misfiring. I'm praying its something of nothing as I am very financially challenged at this moment in time. 

Your help and advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

Not all faults trip the VSC and TRC. I believe it might be a limp mode indication.

Most obvious check will be the rear brake light bulbs, including the high level brake light. Also make sure the bulbs are correct and inserted the correct way, if double filament!
Other possible causes -  yaw sensor, brake light switch (if bulbs are okay).
Hopefully the OBD2 scanner will tell you what is wrong, but you will only get an idea and not always the cause! 
I hope you find the cause.

• Thanks 1

Hi thanks for the advice above. 

The obd2 says the only fault code was P0133 which the little book thingy says 02 sensor slow response. 

I don't know if this is indicative of anything else or if this is what caused it. I have cleared the code for now. 

What do you think is this a red herring or could that actually be what caused it?

Weird that toyota would choose to switch the traction control and vcs off for such an error. 

52 minutes ago, CorollaMan1 said:

Hi thanks for the advice above. 

The obd2 says the only fault code was P0133 which the little book thingy says 02 sensor slow response. 

I don't know if this is indicative of anything else or if this is what caused it. I have cleared the code for now. 

What do you think is this a red herring or could that actually be what caused it?

Weird that toyota would choose to switch the traction control and vcs off for such an error. 

The traction control/VSC links the brakes to the engine reducing power, whilst slowing the slipping wheel. The engine control includes the emission system, so that emissions meet targets, whatever the engine is doing - accelerating, cruising, idling, slowing. 
I Googled this - 

How do I fix code p0133?
What repairs can fix the P0133 code?
  1. Usually a replacement of the oxygen sensor will fix the P0133 code.
  2. At times the sensor itself will not be causing the code P0133, so a technician must check for other faults such as vacuum leaks, a dirty mass air flow sensor, or leaks in the exhaust system.

Your engine is at the point that Toyota updated the block and pistons due to the high oil consumption of the ZZ engine. How is your engine oil consumption? The reason I ask, is because oil could be affecting the O2 sensor ability to function properly. Hopefully yours is a healthy engine.  

Oil has been fine it had a full service back in October and have been checking it every week since due to the amount of mileage im putting on it, I had read on the forum there can be an oil drinking issue. 

I have done over a hundred miles today and no warning light recurrence as of yet. I know there is a pinhole blow in the exhaust so maybe it was a combination of that and it being freezing last night. I'll live in hope untill it recurs. 

• Like 1

Strongly advise looking at live data so you can see what is going on. If you a laptop then get hold of Toyota Techstream and a clone lead.

13 hours ago, CorollaMan1 said:

Oil has been fine it had a full service back in October and have been checking it every week since due to the amount of mileage im putting on it, I had read on the forum there can be an oil drinking issue. 

I have done over a hundred miles today and no warning light recurrence as of yet. I know there is a pinhole blow in the exhaust so maybe it was a combination of that and it being freezing last night. I'll live in hope until it recurs. 

You may have the later modified engine. As I said, Toyota fixed the oil burning issue during 2005, plus those with the symptom and under warranty at the time, were fixed. Also glad you are aware, because I have had friends who didn't know until it was too late! 
Back to your original issue, it could have been a blip, where things were out of spec'. As Jim (mrfixer) stated, keep an eye on the situation.