Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight cleaning

Just been out to the local shops - in the dark, about 5 miles fairly slow (max 30) and was wondering why I was be flashed by cars coming the other way when normally this doesn't happen.

Got to B&Q car park and checked the headlight - covered in mist which was spreading the light.  I have LED headlights (Dipped only) and, of course they do not get hot, so any mist or snow on the lenses will not disappear as would happed with hot lenses.  Something to remember - wipe the headlight glass before you start off on misty or snowy days, or use your windscreen washer as that will also turn on the headlight washer.

Saves being flashed at

Geoff.

Well that is ok but you need to clean them with good amount of water not just wiped with damp clothes. I try to avoid wiping mine very often because if not cleaned with plenty of water they get scratched very easily and after few times like that they will become permanently damaged and will need a restoration sooner than usual. The mist will disappear even with led’s but slightly slower than if with normal halogen bulbs

There's a button specifically for the headlight washers. Using the windscreen washers will only activate the headlight washers the first time after turning on the lights.

IIRC only the Gen 3 Prius T-Spirit (or possibly with Tech Pack option) and Plug-In had headlamp washers.  The Gen 4 didn't even on the Excel model (in the UK at least).

My RAV4 has them, but there's no button to wash manually, although according to the manual it washes first time screen washer is used and lights are on and every fifth wash after that.

The OP appears to have a Gen 3 with LED dipped beams, they have headlamp washers as required in the EU due to high output (as with many HID lights).

3 minutes ago, QuantumFireball said:

The OP appears to have a Gen 3 with LED dipped beams, they have headlamp washers as required in the EU due to high output (as with many HID lights).

I thought that about LEDs and washers, but was surprised that my previous Gen 4 2016 Prius Excel, which had LED headlights (and BTW they were the best headlights I've yet experienced, slightly better even than the LEDs on my Gen 5 2019 RAV4 Excel) didn't have headlight washers.

I believe it's something to do with the light intensity that makes the washers a requirement, but there seems to be something different enough about LED lights on a lot of newer models that they don't require them.

My Corolla doesn't have them. It's a pity because the lights seem to be more affected by dirt that previous cars so washers would be useful.

If the misting is inside the glass no matter how much you wash the headlight it will still be the same. I had misting on inside the glass on Avensis headlights it was then a common fault and I had several headlight changes under warranty. A gen 3 I owned had misting inside the rear light glasses. I had to live with that when it was damp conditions.

If it is misting inside the lights the only cure I know is change the headlight.