Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 CVT transmission

irahim

Hi, I like the look of the Rav4 petrol cvt but not too sure about reliability of the CVT gearbox. I thought CVT is not suited to a high powered engine.

Anyone comment?

Mine has been brilliant no issues and I had a Lexus RX400H which was a 3.3 litre petrol for many years which was CVT also no issues sliky smooth can’t beat em.

• Like 1

It's quite simple. CVT's cant handle high torque and drive with low revs. 

You will experience, that the car goes up to 3-3500'ish rpm's during normal accelerations.

When you set the cruise control, rpm's will drop to lowest possible to minimize fuel consumption and reduce engine noise, but as soon you want to accelerate, rpm's will go up.

The CVT is pretty strong, it's hard to to google any breakdowns with Toyotas CVT's - but remember to change transmission fluid, just to be safe. It's only a steelbelt that moves the car, and factoryspec oil in good condition is essential for a long life without trouble.

The technology is completely different in the latest Hybrid. There is no steel belt drive its all fairly conventional helical gear sets but they include planetary gears electronically controlled to provide the necessary range of ratios that allow the internal combustion engine output to be combined with electric motor power at all road speeds. My understanding of previous generations of Toyota is that some have supplementary direct low gear sets to overcome potential issues mentioned above. Perhaps a better informed person can confirm that does apply to RAV4s.

As I understand the question, it's the about a normal petrol powered RAV without hybrid. I don't know if the car is new or used.

Thanks for your input guys...I just keep reading horror stories about CVT transmissions. I've always rated Toyota and Honda autos ... my previa is an auto and I ensure i change the oil every few years so its always silky smooth but the reliance on a steel band in such an expensive component which can't be repaired if it snaps, worries me. I am erring towards either a hybrid with the e-cvt or a car that has a conventional auto. I've been told to avoid the DCT autos as those clutches wear often. 

Have a read of this thread about cvt boxes...

For those interested in how the Toyota eCVT in modern Hybrids works, here's an excellent video from Professor John Kelly of Weber State University. In the video the Prius version of the Transaxle is explained but versions for the RAV4 have only minor details.  No more torque converters and drive belts.

How complexity evolved into simplicity, producing more power and reducing weight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHc-_E8xWnM

Edited by Thermal
For some reason the link insertion failed.

For clarity, will the OP please confirm whether they are asking about the CVT (non-hybrid) or the eCVT (hybrid).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links