Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Considering a Gen 4 Hiace Super Custom

uncle silvia

Hi all 👋

Ive been floating around this group for a number of years owning an 81 KE70 Corolla and previously owned a very cool gen 3 Hiace in 2010 which I lived in when I travelled NZ for a year. Unfortunately I had to leave it there and sell it on when I left (biggest regret ever 😢).

I now have a huge want for a van again as I miss my old one lots, but as the gen 3s are non existent in the uk I’m looking at gen 4s, particularly the Super Custom so as to have a few comforts for daily use. I’m also looking to use it as a basic weekend camper for the family and as a tow vehicle for my Retros if needed.

My biggest concerns while doing my research is the MPG and some reliability issues?!

As far as I can see, the 3.0td is the one to have as the 2.4 is renowned for cooling issues and the 2.8 can have these too. I’ve read the 3.0 is much more robust. Is that correct?

I've also spoken to owners of 4th gen Hiaces (mostly campers with 4x4 so lots of extra weight) and they have said that 30mpg is about right. However I have read they can be regularly as bad as 22mpg but I’m not sure if they just have issues?!

Im looking at the 2wd models hoping to get the best mpg I can. 

Is there anything else I should look for on these? Any hidden places they rust for instance?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks 😎👍 

Pic to brighten up my post 😉

37A743C6-E850-43AF-824A-5CC4A7DC411E.jpeg

Good luck..they are big old engines pulling a lot of metal around...mpg is never gonna be great is it.?

I remember some years ago when I had a 2.8 Shogun...25mpg was common...at 30mpg you'd be doing very well IMO.

Very robust/tough vehicle though...and rust really shouldn't be too much of an issue if it's a JDM vehicle that's had it's previous life in Japan.

I've only ever had the Estima so my experience of the Hiace family is scant.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Yea I know 30mpg is pushing it but I’d hope to get close to that if I drive it gently, plus several owners say they do?! 
Obviously your Shogun was 4x4 but I guess switchable? Still lots of extra weight and a big transmission to go through?!

I currently drive a 3.2 diesel Mercedes E Class which isn’t a lightweight itself but that gets 30mpg round town and a bit more on a run. I know it may be slightly more refined but not a lot lol. I was just hoping to get close with a replacement.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links