Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can accessories drain the battery if left in the cigarette lighter socket?

bgst

Hello, I got at 2010 Avensis with a Battery problem. In September 2019 the Battery was dead and I got a new Battery. Now the battery is dead again. I haven't used the car much this holiday so I think it might be caused by something slowly draining the battery when I don't use the car. I have a wireless phone charger connected to the cigarette lighter socket all the time. Can it drain the battery when the car is parked?

I have checked that all lights switches off when er leave the car. I always leave the lights in the "auto" position I guess that is ok?

I'm gonna order a jump starter now😑

Thanks
Benjamin

No, when the engine is off there is no power for the cig lighter to use so no power drain from there. There is a power drain from somewhere leaving the Battery dead. I'm not knowledgeable enough to help, someone more knowledgeable hopefully can help with finding the cause. 

• Like 2

We have the exact same issue! Began after installing a hard wired dash cam kit. Issue began...we removed it all...but the issue continues sadly

Yesterday my wife told me that she went to get the car and the lights were on. We always leave the lights at the "auto"-setting. Is it possible that the lights can be on when they are on the auto setting and the car is parked?

1 hour ago, furtula said:

Normal lights, or parking lights?

She's not sure. She kinda panicked and turned off the lights.

You have a fault somewhere which is draining the Battery, obviously, but finding it could either simple or more likely hard. You can eliminate anything that works when the key is accessories position, and in ignition on position, unless something has shorted!.
The obvious thing will be the interior lights - I think you would have spotted that a long time ago. Next is a fault on the light switch and auto lights system. 
I would get an auto electrician to find the current drain, and a booster/starter will be handy. 

I recently flatten the Battery listening to music, whilst changing the wiring of my dash cam, and having the doors opened. I then ran the dash cam to check front and rear coverage. Then the dash cam switch off! I checked other things, then turned the key to IGN, and the 'Parking brake inoperable' or something similar along with a warning bong. Battery was too low to work the EPB. Quick jump start from my neighbour had the car start instantly. I may have to invest on a small portable battery booster/starter for future use, especially if doing diagnostics or anything with the engine off. I had used the car earlier during the day, and also listened to music whilst waiting for somebody for about 45 minutes. The battery is okay showing 12.45v and 14.5 with engine running. My car is petrol so has the smaller battery compared to the diesel version.     

38 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

The battery is okay showing 12.45v

Well, the Battery volts aren't bad Konrad, but sounds from what you say as if the battery's not got the same ooooomph ((CCA or amp. hr. capacity) that it had when new.  Batteries last a lot longer than they did in previous decades, but slowly loose their capacity, and also become less efficient when being recharged.  I try to eke as much life out of batteries as possible, but there comes a time ........ ☹️

• Like 1

VW came up with an interesting idea some years ago for pinpointing unwanted current drains - they produced a look-up table for voltage drop readings across each size of fuse fitted, and thence figuring out the current through a fuse.  Obviously you need a digital volt meter, and fuses with the exposed contact pads on their tops, for this to work.

Given the time in takes for the computers to go into 'shut down', then it might be useful to disable the ultrasonic alarm function (button), and fool the car into thinking the front doors are closed (but actually leaving them open) with, say, a no.2 philips screwdriver pushed against the lock to simulate the door striker plate (but don't try closing the door until you have 'opened' it with the door handle to reset the latch, or it'll make a sickening bang when you try to close it and fail!).  

That way you should be able to rummage around the internal fuse boxes as well as the underbonnet ones to locate the problem circuit.

May be useful sometime in the future?

VW_-_Flat_Battery_-_Current_Draw_Table_-_VW.pdf

I think our problem has something to do with the lights and the auto-setting. Because when my wife found the car the other day with the lights on, it was making that alarm sound telling you to turn of the lights. I don't think she would have left the car like that. So somehow the light must have turned on by themselves, but is that even possible?

17 minutes ago, bgst said:

I think our problem has something to do with the lights and the auto-setting. Because when my wife found the car the other day with the lights on, it was making that alarm sound telling you to turn of the lights. I don't think she would have left the car like that. So somehow the light must have turned on by themselves, but is that even possible?

Auto should disable lights completely. Check your owners manual, it's explained there. Could be possible she turned the lights on herself and forgot about it.

In the end, it's a mechanical switch, probably human error. I would not worry about it, one time thing.

7 minutes ago, furtula said:

Auto should disable lights completely. Check your owners manual, it's explained there. Could be possible she turned the lights on herself and forgot about it.

In the end, it's a mechanical switch, probably human error. I would not worry about it, one time thing.

It is not a one time thing. Besides this, we have had a flat Battery two times in 6 months. We don't know it those to cases were caused by the lights though, so it could be a human error this time. I just dont think that she would have left the car while the "turn of the lights"-alarm was on, so I suspect some kind of error with the electrical system:(

I have bought a jumpstart Battery now.

• 4 years later...

Hi I have a 1998 Toyota avensis and I got an fm transmitter for my cigarette lighter to let me play music via bluetooth. Can I leave thisnplugged in when the car is not in use or will this drain my Battery?