Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hard starting Verso 2009 -

nazif.ferizi

Hi! When the could reaches about minus 4-5 degrees and above, it takes many attempts to start the car. The more could outside, the more attempts it takes. Last year we were skiing, and it was about -10 could. It took about 30-40 attempts to start the car every morning.

What could it be?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Is it petrol or Diesel engine, you did not say.     If it’s a Diesel engine, they have heater plugs to assist with cold starting. One or more could have failed or they are all inoperative. Probably around £60 a set of 4, relatively easy to fit.

It is a diesel engine, I forgot to write that 🙂

Thank you! I will check that.

So, it’s a diesel. I not familiar with a Verso dashboard,  but usually a diesel car dash will have a light that, when cold, when you switch ignition on a light will glow for a period of seconds to indicate the glow plugs are working. The length of time that light shines will be longer when it is colder. Your handbook should show where this light is on the dash.
Diesel engines do not have a spark plug that cause an explosion.  Diesel works by high compression causing heat, thus in cold weather the glow plugs create additional heat to help the system work.

• Like 1

There is a light for that purpose, and it turns off after few seconds.

But... how do I see the the difference between the broken and the not broken heater plug? The link below shows how to replace them on Avensis (it gives me the idea how to replace them on Verso), but he still doesn't show how see the ones that are broken.

You have to check them with a multimeter for resistance, when was the fuel filter last changed ?

The glow plug relay is another common issue if the heater light goes of quickly

The filter has been changed for about a year ago.

I'll see how I can check them then.

What is "normal time" for the heater light?

Nazif, go to YouTube and search for “how to check if diesel glow plug works”, loads of videos, some using meters, some looking at the glow when out of engine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again guys! I've checked the glow plugs and they are glowing as they should.
What else could it be that causes the problem?