Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scraping metalic noise from front of car.

Ogg

Hello again, another problem with my wife’s Prius. It’s started making a clanky scrapey noise when going along. Bit like a rattley exhaust, (which I have thoroughly shaken, don’t think it’s that) but rotational. 
I don’t seem to be able to get the car into neutral so I can rotate a wheel by hand to check it that way.  
any thoughts would help, can that be done with a Prius? 
thanks in advance! 😊

Ok, update time. I worked out how to get it in neutral an have rotated both front wheels in an attempt to duplicate the sound but no joy. 
I thought it might be the plates on the back of the discs (it’s that kind of noise) but they seem well attached and are not making contact with the discs when the wheels spin. All the cv boots are clean and tidy no clonks or grinding I can find. 
So still open to suggestions. 

Hi, have you checked the Exhaust heat shells all along the pipes, they start from the front where catalytic converter and on top of the middle silencer and around the rear, it is a common fault with age on Prius and many more cars, they get rusted and loose . You can fix that with larger washers or anything that can hold them back securely. 
Regards 

Hi TonyHSD, have checked ones at the front, I will be under the back tomorrow so will update then. Thanks for the input. 👍🏻

I had the same noise...car had about 75000 miles on it at the time and still had its original brake pads I think. The front brake backing plates were just catching on the discs. I simply pushed the plate inward by a few mil and all was well again. It could be that, as the pads wear down, the plate moves with the calliper.

Ok, so the rear heat shield IS loose and rattling. The rear disc shields lol ok but I will need to jack and spin the wheels to be certain. Run out of time today but thanks for all the help guys! 😎

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links