Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 wont start

Spiker64

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone out there  can help.

My wife has a new rav4, it's a 2007 model, so she is selling her 2001 model. The key fob case is broken so before selling I decided to get a new case. My problem is that with the new case the car locks and unlocks but the car wont start. On the first attempt it started for a few seconds, after that it turns over but wont start. I thought maybe it was something to do with the programming even though it was just a new case not a new fob. I followed instructions online, putting the key in and out and opening and shutting the doors etc. But nothing, the car wont start. Before I call a mobile mechanic is there something I have missed or still need to do? As it was just a case I thought it would be straight forward.

Thanking you all in advance for your help and advice.

Spiker

Moved to the Rav4 club.

What does the immobiliser light do when you put the key in and try to start the car? Does it stop flashing?

Hi, just got in from work and had a look at the wife's Rav. The immobiliser flashes until you put the key in, then it stops flashing until you take the key out. Does this mean that the problem is not with the key fob?

Thanks again for the help

I believe so, yes. I've never programmed a key but if the immobiliser is happy then I would say you've done everything you need to on that front.

What exactly does the car do when you turn the key eg

• Does the dash light up?
  • Can you hear the engine making it's priming noises before you actually try to start the engine?
  • Do the dials do anything eg do you see the revs go up due to the start motor?
  • Does the engine try to turn over?

Anything you can share would help.

I know it seems coincidental but it's possible the issue is unrelated to the key.

Went to have look at the wife's car again after work, car turned over but wouldn't start first three attempts. I decided to give it one last try, pumped the accelerator and kept it turning over and it finally caught. It doesn't run smooth but at least it has started.

Thanks for all the help and advice  👍👍

If I was you I'd do a quick clean of the two earthing cables (a couple of my previous posts on the hot start issue outline where the cables are).

It takes 30-45mins and is fairly simple (and free!) so worth doing; mine showed similar problems starting from both and and cold and cleaning the cables 6months ago has made it faultless.

That said not running smooth is a not a problem I encountered but I'd still clean the contacts as electrical faults can cause odd behaviour;.