Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2017 2.0 D4d acceleration rattle

cea

When I accelerate my Avensis sounds like a 10 year old taxi (engine noise), when cruising it is as quiet as can be. It only has 27k on the clock and I'm pretty sure my previous 2008 2.0 D4d wasn't as bad. Is this normal? 

Thanks 

One difference is that the 2017 has the BMW N47 engine.

Profile updated.

Thanks for the reply, I am aware of this but according to write ups etc the BMW engine is supposed to be more refined than the original Toyota unit. My car is noisier when accelerating than my old Avensis, our works Transit Connect van, my old Kia Ceed, my mates 2.0d BMW, you get the idea here. It's off to the garage next week, same main dealer but different branch as the garage I purchased the car from have been far from perfect. 

If anything else is fine with the car maybe is just how it is, I Have seen  recently bmw’s very noisy Diesel engines even in 4 series cars, shame they look so slick and work like tractors. 

• Like 2

Does it get particularly noisy at a certain rev range? I remember the early Peugoet HDi engine for example was very refined at low revs but started to sound like an old van at the exact point you hit 3000 rpm. The reason was apparently that it used mult-stage injection for maximum refinement below 3000 rpm, but above that the ECU switched to traditional single stage injection for maximum power, hence the clatter. 

Hi

Thanks for the reply,  not really a particular rev range, it is a soon as the accelerator is pressed and the engine is under load. Even when in cruise control at 70 going up a hill  it is noticeable as the car requires more diesel to maintain speed , I really can't believe that it is normal, even my Mrs. noticed the rattling. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links