Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vent roller switch stuck

MikeEH

Recently bought a petrol T27 and still finding my way around everything. Just noticed that the top-most vent roller switch is stuck (luckily) in the open position. No ammount of pressure will turn the switch to closed. Has anyone else had the same problem, and if so, is it a simple job to fix? If not that simple, I don't mind it being left in open position.

Vent switch Avensis.jpg

If the vent control is just jammed, then it will be just a simple fix. 
Look at the photo in one of my posts when I first installed a Bluetooth/USB adapter - 

Thanks, didn't think it would be so simple to access the switch. Many thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

Just realized that the vent switch is stuck in the closed position, not open as it indicated.  Tried to remove the vent housing as per instructions from Konrad C above, but not trying to sound like a wimp, I spent 20 minutes trying to remove the vent housing with not much luck. I managed to unclip in the locations shown by the orange arrows in the photo, but try as I might, I could not unclip in the locations indicated by green arrows. In fact, at the very top towards the windscreen, the plastic lever just sank into the surrounding dash material, and couldn't get any purchase on it, and the edge of the housing now has flats pressed into the edges from the plastic lever.

Tried to get the top panel off (with the switch in the front centre) thinking that's all I need remove to sort out the switch, but after unclipping the front, I could not lift it more than half an inch.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Avensis Vents.jpg

Using your trim tools, lever the radio trim and the vent housing towards you as one. The reason is that there is one clip that is very difficult to separate the two parts. 

While I was tending to a few other item on the car, I decide to remove the vents. It was fiddly, because the tab hold the vent to the stereo bezel trim, was tricky to separate. 
20200206_134028.thumb.jpg.8a62616e2896212b67ab89d7e6e314f6.jpg 1743879665_GOPR0206_Moment1.thumb.jpg.4e24b759360265efa801efca923f40cb.jpg 20200206_134044.thumb.jpg.f143f4a957bfb6c0ad709c394ed436ff.jpg
A flat bladed screwdriver or trim tool needs to insert between the vent and bezel, then lever to force the little protrusion to release the vent tab. 
Once separated check that the cog is in place and aligned. There is little tag on the spindle to release the cog, if adjustment is needed.

20200206_133815.thumb.jpg.599b17341f17cc973332e60d6928b310.jpg  20200206_133838.thumb.jpg.52c454d0beeab37016b6e0c1ebf547fb.jpg

Don't be afraid to use force!

Good luck. 👍 

Thanks for advice. I'll try on weekend. Your last sentence plays on my mind..... Don't be afraid to use force! ......psychologically, it's plastic, and plastic breaks, what if I snap off a clip, what if I snap off another clip, what if.....what's wrong with good old self-tappers????

Quick tip, remove it while it is warm, if possible. The colder it is, the more likely plastic is to snap or crack.

I'll attempt it after a drive with the heater on. Thanks.

Couldn't wait till the weekend so did it today.

Had heck of a job un-clipping the back but remembered your phrase Konrad, Don't be afraid to use force! Got my fingers under and pulled like heck towards me, and pop, off it came. Re-aligned the cog wheels....looked quite a flimsy layout to me....then clicked it back into place.

Alas, I find there's always something when I do a job.....and one part of the top vent had somehow popped up prior to my re-fitting the vent unit, (arrowed in photo), and I only noticed it afterwards. No amount of pressing will get that part of the top vent panel to stay down. I aim to ignore it, but I keep looking at it. Just like when you need a filling in a tooth, your tongue always goes there to feel it!

Don't want to remove the vent housing again so I'm hoping my age will come into play here and I'll forget it.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

Avensis vents 2.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links