Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thoughts on Matrix headlights

JonhyB

Hello, does anyone know anything about the matrix headlights? I was on youtube and i found a recommended video titled "Kalibrierung Abblendlicht und Matrix LED Licht im Corolla TS Lounge" it's propably from germany where they can get their corolla's with these headlights. They seem to even do a little "dance" once they are turned on. I think they have tiny led's that turn on and off automatically when used in conjuction with auto beam. I say that because that "dance" reminds me some audi headlight's that black out a smart portion of their beam so that it doesnt blind the car in front of you while still having high beam on. I wonder if it would be possible to retrofit them, i think they look better from the bi-led's and make better use of the auto high beam function. Not sure if the more sophisticated high beam function will work though, i dont think corolla's with the matrix headlights have anymore sensors or camera's compared to the normal corolla, but maybe they run a more sophisticated program?

Mine has them. I actually wrote about them in the other thread about auto high.

About the dance - I guess you mean the cool trick when the car is turned on. It always flashes them one by one from inside out. When it is dark, it is very cool and impressing passengers and everyone around.

How they work - for me really good. I made 8000 km across Europe during the holidays. When it was dark this was always turned on on auto. I've seen flashing from upcoming cars/trucks only 2-3 times. Otherwise it seems the car manages to move intelligently the dark spots where the cars are not to blind them. 

I second that. Our Corolla TS Luxury Plus have them as standard and I love them. They are actually called AHS in the brochure in Estonia. To be honest for me they seem even too safe by blinding the required area sometimes too quickly. I have gotten 1 flash during our ownership and that was because of roadworks and the oncoming vehicle headlights were hidden behind a barrier. I don’t think it’s easy to retrofit them as they should use vehicle speed sensor (they come on from 60km/h +) and the sensor behind the windshield plus the headlights itself are a bit different inside (LED stripes run a bit differently than on the standard Luxury version with standard Bi-LED).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links