Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Techstream- where do I start?

discv

I've got the laptop with a fresh, clean install of Win 7 sorted. I'm now trying to pick my way through the mine field of which hardware/software to go for.

Some USB cables seem to be supplied with 2 types of OBD plugs. What's that about?

it looks as if some versions of the software are easier to install than others. Patches and downloads appear to crop up.

Any pointers, links or guidance would be appreciated.

Mini-VCI is what your looking for V14, you can also get VX Diag for Toyota (VCX Nano) but that's 3-4 times the price

• Like 1

The 16 pin plugs into the car the other is an usb that plugs into a PC

Yes that's it, there are plenty of sellers just have a look at their feedback

• Like 1

It seem as if there is an alternative OBD 22 pin plug/

Thats the VX Diag

The standard obd2 plug is 16 pin, but manufacturers have used many types over the years, iirc the 22 pin connector is original obd (obd1) what was used from the late 80's till 1997

• Like 1

A quick update for anyone that may stumble on this topic- the advice above that I should check out feedback was crucial. The sellers support is needed to get hold of the activation key once the software was installed.

I bought this item- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16pin-Mini-VCI-Toyota-Lexus-TIS-TechStream-OBD2-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner/123990901957?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Without the sellers patience I would never have got the thing running. As it turned out all is well- once I have found out how to use it! 

That's useful to know,  Good of you to report back!.  Have you installed it on Windows 10?  Was that all straightforward?

Did you still have to use the X-Horse software that used to be part of the installation procedure?

There was no need for any activation code when I installed mine about 3 years ago.  Something's changed!

• Like 1

i could tell you but its against forum rules !! yes it works on 10 64 bit - but it takes a bit of work - PM me

• Like 1

I installed it on windows 7 32 bit. No big problem- but I had trouble locating the USB drivers, but luckily Windows update found them.

So far as I can make out the software is not X-horse, I'm guessing it is some form of looky-likey copy. And the X-horse activation crack does not work on it!

x-horse is the driver for techstream/bridge for the ftdi chipset in the lead

techstream needs is own hardware driver the default one being autel

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, flash22 said:

x-horse is the driver for techstream/bridge for the ftdi chipset in the lead

techstream needs is own hardware driver the default one being autel

What he say?!

The laptop that I have installed this Techstream on is an elderly slow variety with limited Battery life. But I have proved to myself that I can do it!

So my next stage is to reinstall on a newer machine with an SSD and decent ram etc.

The software, it is claimed, will run on either 32 or 64 bit Windows 10. Which should I chose?

I have no doubt that a new activation key will be called for. I doubt that the seller will provide this unless I buy the USB lead and software all over again.

Could I climb round this problem, albeit with a little 'private tuition'?:msn-wink:

oh! yes (nodding Churchill dog) 64 bit supports more memory and will make the most of a ssd (32 bit is limited to 4gb)

SSD on a budget - Crucial BX500 120gb £22.50, SanDisk 240gb is £30, Crucial MX500 500gb is £62 (250gb is £42)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, discv said:

I have no doubt that a new activation key will be called for. I doubt that the seller will provide this unless I buy the USB lead and software all over again.

Could I climb round this problem, albeit with a little 'private tuition'?:msn-wink:

Thanks. Those SSDs have come down a lot! Your view as to my other question as above?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links