Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real World Economy

Pedal Head

Looking to replace my Avensis & considering a Rav 4. The vehicle is used for work so covers quite a few miles on the motorway at cruising speeds. I often see 60 mpg returned from the Avensis on a run without trying too hard but am wondering what sort of mpg I'd see from a hybrid over say 150 miles at motorway speeds. Also like the look of the Corolla but loadspace is a factor

New or used? If used, age?

About 40mpg from the 2017 (or maybe it's an 18?) a guy at work has, and honest john real mpg seems to approx agree.

47 minutes ago, Pedal Head said:

Sorry the Hybrid, new or nearly new

Hi, this thread may be worth a look

Ive 8500 miles in mine since October, its averaged 42.79mpg, mostly motorway.

At 75mph it averages around 44mpg but it has dropped with the cold weather, my old diesel Tuiguan did the same, and it averaged around the same MPG.

I’m just under 10k mikes in a AWD Excel and average 46.4 mpg over that time. 

Here a RAV4.5 AWD on factory Bridgestone Alenza's, doing town/motorway ~35/65%.
During August/September it did 4.7 L/100Km (61 Mpg).
When it became colder and darker, consumption went up gradually, to now 6.4 L/100Km (44.1 Mpg).

Overall from new: 5.4 L/100Km which is 52,4 Mpg, which matches the onboard computer exactly!  Temperature indeed makes a big difference.
Not bad for a >1700 Kg car.

During the winter period, I found that on short trips the engine starts frequently to warm up, even when the Battery is almost full, while in August I could do a shopping trip around town almost entirely in EV mode.

Ah well... spring is on the horizon 😉

My RAV4.5 AWD Excel Hybrid (also on factory Bridgestone Alenzas until mid October, Vredestein Quatrac 5 All-Seasons since) averaged 52 mpg until the end of September, and while the overall average remains about 48 now, recent tank to tank mpg has been around 40-42.  The car has done 7,500 miles since June.

My usual use patterns are not conducive to great mpg figures, being made up of lots of short journeys, with one, maybe two longer journeys each month,

It's worth noting the 5th Generation RAV4 is Hybrid only in the UK, and 4th Gen Hybrid models were reported to get poorer mpg than the 5th Gen.  Previous generations were available, I believe, with petrol and diesel engines as well as petrol Hybrid, the diesel probably being able to match the mpg of the Hybrids.

12 hours ago, PeteB said:

My RAV4.5 AWD Excel Hybrid (also on factory Bridgestone Alenzas until mid October, Vredestein Quatrac 5 All-Seasons since) averaged 52 mpg until the end of September, and while the overall average remains about 48 now, recent tank to tank mpg has been around 40-42.  The car has done 7,500 miles since June.

My usual use patterns are not conducive to great mpg figures, being made up of lots of short journeys, with one, maybe two longer journeys each month,

It's worth noting the 5th Generation RAV4 is Hybrid only in the UK, and 4th Gen Hybrid models were reported to get poorer mpg than the 5th Gen.  Previous generations were available, I believe, with petrol and diesel engines as well as petrol Hybrid, the diesel probably being able to match the mpg of the Hybrids.

Hi Pete

Without wishing to derail the thread, I wondered how you are finding your new tyres? I was wondering where you got them from and what you did with the nearly new Bridgestones)

Maybe I can keep the thread on track by also asking if you noticed a difference in MPG immediately after having them fitted 😉

Thanks

2 minutes ago, MrBee said:

Without wishing to derail the thread, I wondered how you are finding your new tyres? I was wondering where you got them from and what you did with the nearly new Bridgestones)...

Hi Stephen

I bought my tyres from my dealer, they are storing the old ones and will swap them back in March.  They will continue to do this each October and March until the summer tyres wear out, after which I will probably stay with all-seasons permanently.  (I also have a full size spare - which fits nicely under the boot floor - so it's five tyres affected, not just four).

I haven't been able to notice any difference in mpg because of the big drop with the colder weather - it's hard to say if some or any of it is due to the tyres.  I don't have that much faith in the performance codes, but for what it's worth both the factory tyres and the Vredesteins are rated C for economy.  One thing I was pleased about that there was no increase in noise (rated 70/71 dB for old/new), unlike the Nokian winter tyres I used on my last 2 cars - I also had the impression they did worsen the mpg very slightly, but I have no hard evidence).

see also: 

• Thanks 1

Hi Pete

That's great information, thanks.  I am considering all season tyres on mine for next winter.

On 1/8/2020 at 8:48 PM, MrBee said:

Hi, this thread may be worth a look

Very useful

Thanks for the replies all.....