Do Not Sell My Personal Information

finally I've found a fault with my Corolla

GDJTAM

I purchased my corolla when it was 5 years old and after 13 years of trouble free motoring I have found a puzzling fault. I had a Dashcam for Christmas and for the first time I had a reason to use the 12v cigarette lighter. I fitted the Dashcam and plugged it into the socket, an easy installation and it worked first time. However, the Dashcam Battery low warning light would frequently come on and then stop working whenever I was driving in the dark? I checked the fuse which was fine but during the day the dashcam would work? I now know that when I turn my parking or headlights on the power to the socket stops, consequent;y the dashcam would use it's own Battery but soon drain itself.

Has anyone else had the same issue when turning their lights on and the cigarette lighter stops working?

Hello and welcome Graham to the T.O.C.

You've posted that you checked the fuse, as that would be my first look. Maybe get a voltage checker and see what's happening when you turn the car off and on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Graham - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Corolla club.

Not a high enough voltage from the system when running lights etc.  New Battery time and/or alternator - check the voltage at idle, should be (IIRC) around 14V.