Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Internal Modifications/Upgrades?

Raykhanx

Hi guys,

Anyone done any type of internal mods?

Ive thought about upgrading the stereo, adding a glovebox, and optic fibre lights running throughout the car but has anyone done any sort of thing? 

would appreciate any guidance

Hi Ray and welcome!  😁

I have done a couple of things that you have mentioned, the first thing I did was to fit a glove box cover (Very easy job) and an "Armster" armrest (Also very easy to do).  Don't go for a cheap armrest, if you fancy one, pay that bit extra for the Armster as it fits really well and folds up between the seats, when you don't need it, such as around town when you need your handbrake more.

I changed the stereo for a single din JVC model with no cd drive, so I just leave a micro usb stick/stub with all my music loaded in and that looks much better than the original stereo.....Being a JVC it also came with the correct iso lead/adaptor but I just had to swap the red and yellow lead over (The lead had bullet connectors already fitted to allow this) to get the right positives going to the right places.

Whilst I was doing that, I got some mid grey headlight wrap and covered the heater control "bubble", underneath the stereo.  Now instead of a white area, I have a nice gloss grey area that I can see all the controls through and still lights up orange at night.  That job wasn't just as easy as it's a bit awkward but a rough paper template, a sharp knife, a hairdryer and a bit of patience gets you there.

This might sound like a daft one but I also found that my elbow on the doorcard arm"shelf" got a bit sore on a run, so I fitted a bumper protector in black rubber:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/exterior-protection/halfords-bodywork-protectors-black

to each shelf/rest and it's now much comfier and also looks like it was always that way.

Apart from that, a front and rear Dashcam, an "Autool X60" fitted into the ODB socket to give me a "Heads up" speedo and coolant temperature gauge:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTOOL-Digital-X50-Computer-Vehicles/dp/B071KC1NN1/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3NPHYT934FVYI&keywords=autool+x60&qid=1578569882&sprefix=autool%2Caps%2C594&sr=8-8

and a Garmin satnav fitted to the shelf above the stereo, with the lead run through the back of the shelf to make the job nice and neat and that's about it.  I haven't done anythig with interior lighting, so I can't help you there but I'm pretty sure that others on here have done something similar.

To be honest, our little Aygos become part of the family and, being easy enough to work on, lend themselves to a bit of individuality, so have some fun, do what you like and enjoy your Aygo.

All the best and good luck! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Lots of interior trim is changeable in the Aygo, don't for get the Aygo is the same as the c1 and 107

the biggest improvement you can make to any car is sound deadening - Doors, boot and rear arches are good places to start

https://www.silentcoat.co.uk/

I have used silentcoat for years on many cars, its very effective but use the correct product for the area

Hi,

I added a glove box cover too, and an armster...best thing ever this is, as well as a rev counter, and a leather gear knob, a new rear view mirror as the old one was past it, and a new hazard button as they seem to crack god knows why, added new Speakers...front, tweets on the a pillars, and rears on the parcel shelf, and a new head unit...and I think that’s about it!

The best thing though is that it was so much fun doing it all in my own time.

Oh just to add I’ll be adding some scuff plates soon once I source them at a reasonable price.

Sorry just remembered, I added a genuine boot liner too! 

9 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Hi Ray and welcome!  😁

I have done a couple of things that you have mentioned, the first thing I did was to fit a glove box cover (Very easy job) and an "Armster" armrest (Also very easy to do).  Don't go for a cheap armrest, if you fancy one, pay that bit extra for the Armster as it fits really well and folds up between the seats, when you don't need it, such as around town when you need your handbrake more.

I changed the stereo for a single din JVC model with no cd drive, so I just leave a micro usb stick/stub with all my music loaded in and that looks much better than the original stereo.....Being a JVC it also came with the correct iso lead/adaptor but I just had to swap the red and yellow lead over (The lead had bullet connectors already fitted to allow this) to get the right positives going to the right places.

Whilst I was doing that, I got some mid grey headlight wrap and covered the heater control "bubble", underneath the stereo.  Now instead of a white area, I have a nice gloss grey area that I can see all the controls through and still lights up orange at night.  That job wasn't just as easy as it's a bit awkward but a rough paper template, a sharp knife, a hairdryer and a bit of patience gets you there.

This might sound like a daft one but I also found that my elbow on the doorcard arm"shelf" got a bit sore on a run, so I fitted a bumper protector in black rubber:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/exterior-protection/halfords-bodywork-protectors-black

to each shelf/rest and it's now much comfier and also looks like it was always that way.

Apart from that, a front and rear dashcam, an "Autool X60" fitted into the ODB socket to give me a "Heads up" speedo and coolant temperature gauge:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTOOL-Digital-X50-Computer-Vehicles/dp/B071KC1NN1/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3NPHYT934FVYI&keywords=autool+x60&qid=1578569882&sprefix=autool%2Caps%2C594&sr=8-8

and a Garmin satnav fitted to the shelf above the stereo, with the lead run through the back of the shelf to make the job nice and neat and that's about it.  I haven't done anythig with interior lighting, so I can't help you there but I'm pretty sure that others on here have done something similar.

To be honest, our little Aygos become part of the family and, being easy enough to work on, lend themselves to a bit of individuality, so have some fun, do what you like and enjoy your Aygo.

All the best and good luck! :thumbsup:

Hi there,

I don’t suppose you have a pic of these bumper protectors on your door card Rest do you? Sounds really cool actually.

And finally, I’ve never heard of Autool? Your link applies to a diesel I think. Do they do a petrol version? And how did you hide the leads etc?

On 1/10/2020 at 12:05 PM, Agent Orange said:

Here you go:

IMG_20200110_114119.jpg

IMG_20200110_114001.jpg

IMG_20200110_113906.jpg

Ahh cheers Agent orange, your Aygo must look sweet in red, id love to have a red Aygo, love red cars!

ok, so notice you have a 5 door version, I have a 3 door...I might need 2 bumper protectors per door as they are a bit long! I might consider it.

otherwise re.your Autool, are you sure that’s the x60? I ordered mine this morning only my model is round n cute to match the dials etc, but it’s an x60. They look pretty cheaply manufactured but at 25.00 smackers I thought I’d try it out!

Do you have a link the the armrest ?

Hi Bobby,

Here you go:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tailor-Made-Armster-Standard-Armrest-to-Fit-Toyota-Aygo-2005-2014/163986821391?fits=Model%3AAygo&epid=17017011667&hash=item262e60510f:g:F2oAAOSw30Jd8uxj

The smaller pictures enlarge if you hover over them so that you can see the fitment details.  It's really easy as it fits in and around the rear cup holder, you just have to drill a couple of hole for the supplied screws.

The seller is "Mick's Garage" and is the eBay seller I bought mine from....Crikey....Eight years ago now!!! :shock:

Anyway, It's worn well as it still looks like new.

All the best! :thumbsup:

P.S. If you mean the door "Armrest", then it's a bumper protector from Halfords and the link is in my original post.

Since every one is adding their internal (and why not external too?) modifications, I might as well add mine.

1. Glove box cover, easy.

2. Sound insulation on the floor pan, door sides, wheel well, engine bay and engine cover, xtra plastic wheel arches cover over the rear wheels (good effect). The car is really quiet! It is a difficult procedure, takes time.

3. cold air intake engine. I don't know if it makes a difference, more like snake oil!

4. Sony stereo 1-din with blue tooth and sony Speakers 2 of them on the front doors and Hertz Speakers 2 of them on the dash.

5. reverse parking sensors with distance monitor in meters (not just few beeps)

6. Extra driving lights, in phase with high beam.

7. Rear door opening internal coupe light activation switch.

8. Baggage room light, Philips LED light with movement and night sensor. Easier than the glove box cover fitment and very useful too. Runs on Battery. Lasts more than a year.

9. Extensive rust proofing in all hollow rooms (door, frame, door sill, frame etc) and under body coating. Just had MOT inspection yesterday, the rust proof coat still looks good after 8 years. That was a difficult procedure.

10. New brake discs and pads on the front wheels a few years ago.

I do my own service once a year, oil and filter, air filter change, AC filter change, inspection etc.

This is one hell of a cheap car to maintain and gives you the economy and driving pleasure that no other car matches.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

Since every one is adding their internal (and why not external too?) modifications, I might as well add mine.

1. Glove box cover, easy.

2. Sound insulation on the floor pan, door sides, wheel well, engine bay and engine cover, xtra plastic wheel arches cover over the rear wheels (good effect). The car is really quiet! It is a difficult procedure, takes time.

3. cold air intake engine. I don't know if it makes a difference, more like snake oil!

4. Sony stereo 1-din with blue tooth and sony speakers 2 of them on the front doors and Hertz speakers 2 of them on the dash.

5. reverse parking sensors with distance monitor in meters (not just few beeps)

6. Extra driving lights, in phase with high beam.

7. Rear door opening internal coupe light activation switch.

8. Baggage room light, Philips LED light with movement and night sensor. Easier than the glove box cover fitment and very useful too. Runs on battery. Lasts more than a year.

9. Extensive rust proofing in all hollow rooms (door, frame, door sill, frame etc) and under body coating. Just had MOT inspection yesterday, the rust proof coat still looks good after 8 years. That was a difficult procedure.

10. New brake discs and pads on the front wheels a few years ago.

I do my own service once a year, oil and filter, air filter change, AC filter change, inspection etc.

This is one hell of a cheap car to maintain and gives you the economy and driving pleasure that no other car matches.

Ahh super cool list,

No.8...any chance of a link? I find it a nightmare rummaging around inside my boot in the dark taking out my shopping!!!

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Ahh super cool list,

No.8...any chance of a link? I find it a nightmare rummaging around inside my boot in the dark taking out my shopping!!!

I bought motion sensor LED strip from eBay . Yet to fit them but in theory should do the trick.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Battery-PIR-Motion-Acivated-Strip-Lights-Sensor-Wardrobe-Closet-Waterproof-A/184086416947?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=691784467142&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

Hi again, Bobby,

I noticed from another post from you that you're probably looking for an armrest for a Mark 2 Aygo, as that seems to be your daughter's car.

If that's the case then ignore my previous link as you will need one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Armster-Standard-car-armrest-for-Toyota-Aygo-2014/302240033866?fits=Model%3AAygo&hash=item465ee8ec4a:g:PYkAAOSwGIRXaAXQ

It's more expensive than the armrest for the Mark 1 but will be of a similar quality.

I hope that helps. :biggrin:

Here you go. The light. There are many other companies making some thing similar. It must have a motion sensor and Battery powered. Stick it to the wall of the boot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SpotOn-Light-Gold-One-Pack/dp/B001AGX6PO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Toilet-Bathroom-Night-Light-PIR-Motion-Activated-Sensor-6-Led-Cool-White/223496645658?hash=item3409702c1a:g:wDwAAOSwVX1cxNTc

1 hour ago, rajivrattna said:

Here you go. The light. There are many other companies making some thing similar. It must have a motion sensor and battery powered. Stick it to the wall of the boot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SpotOn-Light-Gold-One-Pack/dp/B001AGX6PO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Toilet-Bathroom-Night-Light-PIR-Motion-Activated-Sensor-6-Led-Cool-White/223496645658?hash=item3409702c1a:g:wDwAAOSwVX1cxNTc

Ahh cheers guys.

when we had our aygo i always wanted to use a tilt switch on the tailgate glass

and have this turn on & off the interior light.

11 hours ago, eygo said:

when we had our aygo i always wanted to use a tilt switch on the tailgate glass

and have this turn on & off the interior light.

You know I went through lot of planning to fit a boot light that would be connected to the car Battery and have a tailgate tilt switch (reed valve switch for example) but gave up since the motion sensor led light was very simple and long lasting and effective too. But there are people in this forum who have just done the more complicated wiring for the boot light.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:22 PM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Ahh cheers Agent orange, your Aygo must look sweet in red, id love to have a red Aygo, love red cars!

ok, so notice you have a 5 door version, I have a 3 door...I might need 2 bumper protectors per door as they are a bit long! I might consider it.

otherwise re.your Autool, are you sure that’s the x60? I ordered mine this morning only my model is round n cute to match the dials etc, but it’s an x60. They look pretty cheaply manufactured but at 25.00 smackers I thought I’d try it out!

Morning All

Re.that Autool x60 I ordered, im having to return it to the seller today, tried connecting it several times yesterday only to receive a Connection Failed error. Cute device though but looks cheap. 

20200119_144133.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links