Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help: Locked Out, Battery Dead & Mechanical Key Won't Operate Dead Lock

RoanneO

Help, please!

My Toyota Auris Hybrid T Spirit 2011 has a dead Battery. The electronic key can't open the vehicle when the Battery is dead. The mechanical key should. But it is not working. The car was deadlocked. The manual only shows arrows suggesting to turn the key in both directions/either direction to unlock.

Does anyone know the motion needed to unlock the deadlocked vehicle with the mechanical key?

I can turn the key a full 360 degrees clockwise but a max of 5 degrees anticlockwise even after WD40 and using pliers.

Hi,

Our Auris is now out and about, but on an old 2001 Corolla the key is turned anti-clockwise to unlock the car, as I think you've discovered.

It makes no difference if that car is deadlocked, it is still the same small twist anti-clockwise (I've just checked this).

I would think that regular applications of WD40 and judicious jiggling of the key is your best bet.  The WD40 will 'creep' away from where it is applied to other areas (which is good), but it will take time.   No harm in putting plenty in and around the lock and handle.   I wouldn't use the pliers, except as a last, last resort!

• Like 1

RoanneO Hi, Is the door lock frozen?? Try warming the key with a cigarette lighter, and put key into door lock. Heat transfer action takes place and an ANTI-clockwise twist should unlock things. Good Luck

• Like 1

The mechanism gets stuck due to not being used, there were other members in same situation who ended up using pliers with the key, to unlock the car.

Just be patient and take it slowly, it should take around 20 degrees to unlock the car.

Have you tried your spare key ? If you're replacing the Battery make sure you get the correct one (AGM)

have you tried the boot lock ???

on a Ct i had and on my is300h there is a key slot but it is hidden,

have a look under the lip where the number plate lights are hopefully

there will be a lock for you to try , generally they can be covered in dirt

so you may have to give it a clean.

2011 auris.jpg

I got locked out of my van after going on holiday for 2 weeks and the key going flat..the key blade was worn so I was unable to unlock the door. So I called the AA through works policy and he got me in, in a couple of mins. He pushed very firmly closing the door as he turned the key in the lock. It must have taken the weight off the mechanism in the lock. Worth a try....push n turn.  good luck

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links