Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris loud on motorway - anyone sound proofed theres?

JKBristol

Hello all,

I recently bought a 2016 Auris 1.2 Auto and find the noise in the cabin above 60mph really loud. My old Golf Mark 4 was so quiet and am finding it difficult to adjust. 

Ive seen a few posts about putting sound deadening material in the doors. Has anyone done this and noticed an improvement? 

If you do a search on the Auris club, that should uncover a couple of topics.

I would say it's the tires, my winter ones are much louder than summer ones, and all that goes back to the cabin.

It would be cheaper to get quieter tires, than to soundproof the car.

Also, older cars had different gear ratios, you would get maybe 2500 rpm at 60 miles, in newer cars it's higher to get better mpg, but the downside is louder engine.

The Chinese like to fudge their figures (Chinese tyres are known as ditch finders) a 1.2 auto at motorway speeds will be up in the rev range so will be noisy anyway, it has got a far bit of weight to shift - I bet it likes to wheelspin in the wet and the braking isn't very good

Dealers love to put cheap tyres on car to flog them, very little outlay and maximize the profits

do you think downgrading to 16" tyres will help? 

Tyres are the weak link, if you think they are the only thing in contact with the road, the difference in tyres is between you having an accident or not !! Cheaper tyres are usually make more road noise

Tyres are rated A to E (A is Best) and the noise is rated in Db (lower is better)

Have a look at

https://www.blackcircles.com/

42 minutes ago, JKBristol said:

do you think downgrading to 16" tyres will help? 

How are you going to put 16" tyres on 17" rims?

Cheaper tyres don't necessarily mean more noise. 

• Haha 1

Just now, JKBristol said:

change to 16" rims too

Crazy

14 minutes ago, JKBristol said:

why?

Think about it. 

Who said anything about cheaper tyres? 16" tyres have more tyre than 17" tyres. 

5 minutes ago, JKBristol said:

Who said anything about cheaper tyres? 16" tyres have more tyre than 17" tyres. 

Flash22 mentioned cheaper tyres.

Have you even read the thread?

Yes i know he did. I can read. I also asked if downgrading to 16" inch would help. Have you read the thread? 

31 minutes ago, JKBristol said:

why?

Because u have to spend money getting a set of wheels and tyres that's why. As suggested the cheapest way to try first is to get better quality front tyres with low noise and see how that goes. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, snowBALLs said:

Because u have to spend money getting a set of wheels and tyres that's why. As suggested the cheapest way to try first is to get better quality front tyres with low noise and see how that goes. 

Not forgetting the tpms senders what can add another £2-400, the 17" tyres seem more common = cheaper - mid range one's being £70-80 fitted

• Like 2

in this instance when choosing tyres look at the road noise level (Db)

since this is your issue and then make your choice of the brand you prefer

on a side note i would also look at the braking distance in the wet aswell

as you will have the tyres for a long time

As regards tyres/wheels

1. The Euro tyre label ratings for noise are for external noise generated as the vehicle pass a given point, so doesn't necessarily equate well to noise heard inside the vehicle

2. The effect of a change in tyre size/wheel size on the speedometer would need to be checked to ensure the speedometer doesn't under-read (show less than the true speed), which would be illegal. There are websites where one can calculate the effect on a speedometer for such a change.

3. Insurance companies will want to be informed of any change to the standard spec of the car, and this includes changes to tyre sizes and wheel sizes, whether or not this changes the premium. The fact that an owners manual may include different tyre sizes is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

if you find a tyre that generates less noise outside then the transfer of road noise will be less in the cabin.

i've had yokohamas on my jap cars the best part of yoko's is changing them for a good quality tyre

that provides a quiet ride, in the past i have used dunlop sport maxx rt 17" and cross climates 17"

both great tyres that are quiet and transform the ride.

The boot floor and rear arches, i still have to do the doors when it warms up, the Foam is ideal for dampening panels, but i have done quite a few cars over the years, there are other products known as sludge or paste for the harder to reach areas

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/deadening

Doing the boot in the Auris may be a bit tricky as you have the 12v and HV battery's

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links