Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Hybrid 2019 - Wheel Alignment?

Scottydog007

My Rav4 Hybrid 2019 has about 7000 miles now, but from day one of having it, the steering felt like it was tracking to the left just slightly. But I lived with it. Now at the weekend I took my wife's tyre to have a puncture fixed to my tyre centre. Now I have been dealing with this place for years and years and they have been great with all the 4x4's I have had. They were one of the only places in the area having a fully sophisticated alignment machine.

So I asked them to look at my tracking, they said they could not as the car has the auto lane steering control. If and when the steering is adjusted many sensors have to be re-calibrated and they did not have the ability to do this and they said very few places can. And those that can charge in excess of £500.

My question is, is this correct, have others had their wheels aligned? I can wait until I do the 10,000 miles and get the car serviced and ask my dealer this question.

When driving I notice my hands get a twist load anti-clockwise which starts giving a stain to the wrist. Somehow I find a driving position that reduces this load and I forget about the issue. Now over Christmas I did not use the car much, but once back at work I instantly noticed the strain, I adjusted my hold on the steering wheel and I am fine.

Have you tried switching off the lane keep assist to see if that makes any difference?

This is simple with the button by the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, although if required you can go into the menus and switch off just the lane trace bit (the bit that tries to steer the car for you), while still leaving the lane departure warning and correction operational.

I find overall I'm happy to keep mine all switched on, but at times it seems to want to run the car very close to the road edges (and all the drain covers) or the right lane lines, so it can require a bit of effort to overcome it.

The safety sense calibration needs to be done if the windscreen is replaced (which I had done on my last car, a 2016 Prius), although happily Autoglass (my insurer's chosen supplier) replaced the screen and did the calibration all in one visit to one of their centres.  Much to my relief, it was all fine.  From this, I can believe what you've been told about re-calibration after tracking adjustments might be correct, although the price seems very steep.  My dealer told me their price for replacing the Prius screen and doing the calibration would be well over £600 all in, which also makes me suspicious of the quoted cost for wheel alignment and calibration.

Are you sure that the anti-clockwise twist load is present on a completely flat road with no camber? Try to find a very quiet straight road and when there is no traffic move across to the centre line then to the right hand side. Does the effect change? You could also try using sports mode which reduces the amount of assistance.

On Mondays I drive from London to South Wales along the M4 and I am on the road for 4am so the traffic is very light and drive for 2.5 hours. I put the car in cruise control but not radar controlled to other vehicles, and I have 'lane keep assist' defaulted to switched off all the time, I am driving faster than the average person.

In a straight road with no camber if I let go of the steering wheel it does always slightly go to the left, but not massively hence I can live with it. I definitely feel slight stain to wrist but have found a way of changing positions to hold the steering wheel.

One thing I have not done is to look at the tyres to see if there is tracking wear. Possibly on 7000 miles not much will be shown. Saying all this I love the car. If I get it solved I'll give feedback here.

Hi Scottydog007, are your tyres pumped up to the correct psi?, Just a thought as we get the same with our Galaxy, when we pump the tyres to correct psi then it goes away. Anyone know the correct psi ?

33 psi all round, both 17" & 18" wheels (3 psi extra if towing).

Given that this is only a slight pull I would try swopping the front wheels left to right. This can sometimes show up a bias in the tyre behaviour.

I would check all four tyres for signs of uneven tyre wear, if nothing found, have your wheel alignment checked and report any settings outside of manufacturers specifications to your Toyota dealer, and let them sort it out.

• 7 months later...

Good day All

I have just bought a 2019 RAV4 and also found the steering is pulling slightly to the left, wheel alignment doesn`t help.

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

Regards

11 hours ago, Wayne Fulton said:

Good day All

I have just bought a 2019 RAV4 and also found the steering is pulling slightly to the left, wheel alignment doesn`t help.

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

Regards

Is this just the camber of the road?, as said above try driving over on the opposite side of the road and see if it pulls the opposite way. 

I have just come back to this post, I originally posted it. My RAV4 still pulls to the left. Nothing to do with road camber, and I have not hit anything. I do loads of driving and had many cars so have loads of experience. I can live with this, as Toyota will not acknowledge there is an issue. It is there all the time but I adapt and forget about it. Every now and again I am reminded of it. 
My car has only done 20,000 miles so yet to change the tyres. The car has Dunlop and I absolutely hate Dunlop so will be interesting if there is any change if I go to another tyre make.

38 minutes ago, Scottydog007 said:

I have just come back to this post, I originally posted it. My RAV4 still pulls to the left. Nothing to do with road camber, and I have not hit anything. I do loads of driving and had many cars so have loads of experience. I can live with this, as Toyota will not acknowledge there is an issue. It is there all the time but I adapt and forget about it. Every now and again I am reminded of it. 
My car has only done 20,000 miles so yet to change the tyres. The car has Dunlop and I absolutely hate Dunlop so will be interesting if there is any change if I go to another tyre make.

Out of interest can you see any uneven wear on the tyres ?, my wife's does this a little but then as I said I tried the opposite side of the road and it pulled slightly the opposite way, my wife doesn't notice it and she does 2500 miles a month.

My previous Mazda CX5 would do this and the geometry was checked and it was smack on Manufacturer specifications.
By default i believe a small degree of drift to the inside is expected as the Manufacturer set the cars up like this so should somehting happen, eg fall asleep the car drifts to the edge rather than the middle of the road.

However, in the CX5 I found that tyre pressure was the main culprit, and depending on the tyres it was either better or worse.Toyo's where the least affected by Michelin and Dunlop where sensitive to pressure variations which cuased the symptons you are explaining. I found running th tyres on the heavy load/towing setting was better than standard setting.

So that might be worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

No tyre wear is evident, mine on continentals soft wall tyres and I've done 37000klm so far.

Would you perhaps know which tyre is best to reduce the pull?

Tyre place down the road advises to change to hard wall tyres.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 2:36 PM, 182_blue said:

Out of interest can you see any uneven wear on the tyres ?, my wife's does this a little but then as I said I tried the opposite side of the road and it pulled slightly the opposite way, my wife doesn't notice it and she does 2500 miles a month.

2 hours ago, Wayne Fulton said:

Hi

No tyre wear is evident, mine on continentals soft wall tyres and I've done 37000klm so far.

Would you perhaps know which tyre is best to reduce the pull?

Tyre place down the road advises to change to hard wall tyres.

I have Bridgestone Alenza on mine and they don't pull and seem to be a very good tyre.