Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to dry the roof?

Noah'sArk

Hey guys and gals, my first post 🙂

I recently purchased a new (to me) 2012 Aygo. Unfortunately I have (what seems to be a very common) problem of water getting into the boot. I have sealed the rear light (not looking forward to changing a bulb in the future! what a pants design). After the rain we have had the past days the problem persists, I now believe it's also the high rear brake light. My next job!

The problem is the cloth roof lining has got rather sodden underneath the brake light and looks unsightly (and still damp) what would be the best thing to use to a- dry it out and b- get rid of the water stain? I also have little black dot marks on the roof lining :s

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20200109_104615_resized_20200109_105356798[1604].jpg

IMG_20200109_104622_resized_20200109_105355769[1601].jpg

you would probably be best to replace the roof lining

removing the water stains will be nearly impossible

and the black spots will be mold spores

47 minutes ago, eygo said:

you would probably be best to replace the roof lining

removing the water stains will be nearly impossible

and the black spots will be mold spores

The spores are coming off easily with carpet cleaner, seems a bit extreme to replace the whole lining (and not something I would like to attempt) for that small area at the back :s

the water stains will be very hard to try and get rid of

if there is a line you can use i.e. if there is a change in angle

of the roof lining then i would get a cloth / sponge and dampen the whole area

this way when the lining dry's there will be just one line instead of the circles

that you have at the moment and hopefully this is on an angled part of the lining

the change in angle would diguise any staining.

i have attached your photo with a line on it to try and show what i mean.

1199762738_IMG_20200109_104615_resized_20200109_1053567981604.thumb.jpg.24ada4ccc4b538ab9f79ce0d31ab7583.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

I am so sorry to read about your issue.

I replaced my high level brake light on advice from these very helpful forumsters only last weekend, however my issue was water pooling in either corner of the inside of my boot pan, and I’ve been checking my boot area all week and it’s dry to the bone, no more sodden boot carpet, fingers crossed it stays that way, cost me 30.00 for the light at my dealers but I would have paid double that to fix the issue and steer clear of using sealants etc.

In your case I’d say the cause is 85% your high level break light, although people have mentioned the boot hinges among a few other items.

If it were my Aygo roof lining in that condition, I’d be on to a scrappy or eBay for a clean fresh roof liner and go about replacing it. These linings are made so cheaply I doubt you could remove that stain completely, definitely not while it’s on the roof, that would be hard work trying to mop it in an upward position.

I do hope you sort it.

Sammy

Is replacing the roof liner a job I can do myself you think? (I'm pretty hands on but no car pro!)

I've been on to the dealer and they are going to pat for replacement rear lights, including the high level brake light so hopefully all should be well soon!

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Emma and welcome to the board. 😁

Just to give you another option, try a hairdryer for about 15 minutes on the damp area and then spray the area with sone "Astonish Mould and Mildew spray"..... You can usually get it in Home Bargains, Wilkinsons, The Range or even "Pound Shops".  It smells faintly of bleach and really works to kill those black, spore spots but it isn't strong enough to fade the material.

https://www.therange.co.uk/household/cleaning/cleaning-products/multi-purpose-cleaners/astonish-mould-and-mildew-cleaner/?gclid=CjwKCAiA3uDwBRBFEiwA1VsajB0-xg8qZngIQhKMHDklUIgEhznWLlN35jXQVoZnzxsDTYMJE-ZP7BoCfV8QAvD_BwE#247400

It really is good stuff and for the cost of a quid, plus your time, it has to be worth a go before you try for a new headliner.....Just make sure that you've fixed the leak first!!!

All the best and good luck. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

replacing a head liner is not hard it just takes time

remove the sunvisors

any coat hooks & handles

interior roof lights

2 panel clips by the tailgate

and all trim panels that are in contact with the headliner

the head liner i think is held in using foam pads with velcro on them

just give the liner a gentle pull down and it will come out

look on the replacement one to see exactly where the fixings are.

• Like 1

the liner is glued to the roof - the official method for removing it is to cut it out. Not really an easy job to replace.

Personally, I would use a good quality fabric cleaner - this worked a treat in mine and removed a similar stain.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/carplan-demon-fabric-super-upholstery-shampoo-and-stain-remover-1l-347321

You'd be surprised how clean it will come up.

• Like 3

Diolch Gareth ( @garethpaul) ....Good shout, matey! :thumbsup:

Emma, if you dry the area, use the mould and mildew spray, let it dry and then use the shampoo that Gareth has suggested then my guess is that you will have the problem sorted....No spores and no stain....err, I hope. :fear:

Anyway, for less than a fiver all in, it has to be worth a shot!

Good luck and tell us how you get on. :driving:

• Like 1

There are a number of people battling damp issues on the C1OC. Worth a look on their forum. On my HL brake light which was leaking, the gasket is quite thin. I resorted to the sealant as was not convinced a new part would totally fix it as the metal hole appears to not be dead flat. Others have fitted new and still had issues. I will resort to a razor blade if I need to cut the sealant to fit new bulbs.

Build quality on these cars is clearly a bit iffy and lots of possible leak points.

21 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Hi Emma and welcome to the board. 😁

Just to give you another option, try a hairdryer for about 15 minutes on the damp area and then spray the area with sone "Astonish Mould and Mildew spray"..... You can usually get it in Home Bargains, Wilkinsons, The Range or even "Pound Shops".  It smells faintly of bleach and really works to kill those black, spore spots but it isn't strong enough to fade the material.

https://www.therange.co.uk/household/cleaning/cleaning-products/multi-purpose-cleaners/astonish-mould-and-mildew-cleaner/?gclid=CjwKCAiA3uDwBRBFEiwA1VsajB0-xg8qZngIQhKMHDklUIgEhznWLlN35jXQVoZnzxsDTYMJE-ZP7BoCfV8QAvD_BwE#247400

It really is good stuff and for the cost of a quid, plus your time, it has to be worth a go before you try for a new headliner.....Just make sure that you've fixed the leak first!!!

All the best and good luck. :thumbsup:

I have some in my cupboard already, bonus! I shall try it tomorrow, the weather has been too dire today. The roof lining has completely dried out now, replacing the high level brake light did the trick.

Hopefully i can report back with positive results!

20 hours ago, garethpaul said:

the liner is glued to the roof - the official method for removing it is to cut it out. Not really an easy job to replace.

Personally, I would use a good quality fabric cleaner - this worked a treat in mine and removed a similar stain.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/carplan-demon-fabric-super-upholstery-shampoo-and-stain-remover-1l-347321

You'd be surprised how clean it will come up.

Cheers, will rty doing it myself first, I have been quoted £50 for a professional steam cleaning company to do it if I fail. Sounds far easier than replacing the liner 🙂

35 minutes ago, Noah'sArk said:

Cheers, will rty doing it myself first, I have been quoted £50 for a professional steam cleaning company to do it if I fail. Sounds far easier than replacing the liner 🙂

Be careful with the steam cleaning - this may soften the glue and cause the headliner to sag - you'll be replacing it anyway then 🤣

I used sealant on the high level light and it seems to have cured the problem. The light itself looks a poor design as after !Removed! it into place there's still movement in the middle.....a third screw would have helped.

• 4 weeks later...

hi emma

just wondered what the outcome of cleaning the headlining is

do you have any after photos.

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2020 at 5:23 PM, Noah'sArk said:

Hey guys and gals, my first post 🙂

I recently purchased a new (to me) 2012 Aygo. Unfortunately I have (what seems to be a very common) problem of water getting into the boot. I have sealed the rear light (not looking forward to changing a bulb in the future! what a pants design). After the rain we have had the past days the problem persists, I now believe it's also the high rear brake light. My next job!

The problem is the cloth roof lining has got rather sodden underneath the brake light and looks unsightly (and still damp) what would be the best thing to use to a- dry it out and b- get rid of the water stain? I also have little black dot marks on the roof lining :s

Thanks in advance!

Had the same problem. Here’s what i did:
After i sealed with silicone(Tec7) everything that i could think off specially the 3rd brake light i used some Vanish for Carpets solution/granules with water and a drop of Vinegar and i brushed it with a soft brush. After this i left the heat on for good few hrs on max position and directed with the air vents through the back. 
now looks way better and dry. 
have a look:

EC8ABFB2-8C31-4578-A242-4D4AC73B0913.jpeg