Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Infotainment system

da2tha3

Hi everyone,

I purchased an Auris Hybrid in December of last year. I'm generally happy with the car, but I'd go as far as to say the infotainment system (Touch 2 with go?) is awful. It's slow, unresponsive, and the (very slowly released) map updates are always incorrect. I've had numerous instances of the system becoming completely locked up and crashing on me.

Is there a viable replacement with Android Auto built in? I'd like to retain the reversing camera and vehicle overview features from the stock infotainment system. I've tried using an old Sony phone with MirrorLink, but that's also extremely unreliable and inconsistent, so isn't a suitable workaround.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

please read the link i have provided i know its for the lexus forum

but they probably do something similar for the Auris

it does look like a good piece of kit

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/121157-replacing-oem-screen-with-1025-touchscreen-running-on-android/

On 1/10/2020 at 11:17 AM, da2tha3 said:

I purchased an Auris Hybrid in December of last year. I'm generally happy with the car, but I'd go as far as to say the infotainment system (Touch 2 with go?) is awful. It's slow, unresponsive, and the (very slowly released) map updates are always incorrect. I've had numerous instances of the system becoming completely locked up and crashing on me.

So it's not just me finding it laggy and glitchy then. Locking up in the middle of navigation is very frustrating. Never used to do that, but has happened a few times over the past year or so. The system just feels slow and about 10 years out of date. I really hope Toyota have heard the message (it's mentioned in plenty of reviews, after all) and are working on getting this up-to-speed with competitors' offerings, although I don't suppose it'll be much use for existing Auris owners. Not sure I'd know where to start in terms of replacing the software.

The new systems come out this year, tbh it depends on the firmware you have on the touch2 mine seems fine since i updated it - map data is 6-12 months behind that's the way it is with most oem navs as the mainly use hear navigation (formal Navteq)

you can only do so much with the hardware before you hit its limitations, as for custom firmware/software the units are so secure there are no backdoors into them the only feasible way is with a modified firmware but that has its own hurdles (crc and md5 checking) - I have spent 10's of hours playing with these systems about the only thing i haven't done is a physical attack on the uart or bus

The touch2 runs a system called QNX Neutrino (RTOS) that has its own complex file system you need the SDK just to grasp the basics

Anyhoo there are plenty of aftermarket solutions*, But you get what you pay for

*You will lose the oem functionality on hybrid cars

I've had it lock up a couple of times. Also really slow at pulling in the song data from my iPhone via USB. It's a 40GB+ library.

Did the software and maps upgrade a couple of weeks ago which seems to have solved that particular issue, but not holding my breath. Ideally if Toyota could retrofit CarPlay / Android auto to the Touch 2 with Go that'd be good. I'd happily spend a couple hundred quid to have an expansion module or upgraded unit fitted.

Android Auto is one upgrade I’d love Toyota to offer me. Not holding my breath though! 

Current substitute is a sticky (washable to regain stickiness) phone holder that sits as though glued but non-markingly on top of the dash. Takes the phone in landscape format only, has a little ’tray’ in front of the phone. Works well but isn’t a cosmetic embellishment... I’d much rather have proper AA on the big screen, but its ok on the phone, as long as the phone is easily viewable. 

There will not be an update for AA or AP on the touch2 as its now EOL (End of Liife) the new systems are based on a different OS iirc its Automotive Grade Linux (AGL)

there is not enough interest for the touch2 system for people to hack/code the hardware

• 2 years later...

Hey guys! 

just wondering if it’s possible to install a touch screen radio etc into an 2015 toyota auris that doesn’t already have it? Or would it not be compatible.

thanks !

yes it should be plug and play for the most part, but it depends on if you have a pre- or post-facelift car (change over is mid 2015)