Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch replacement only?

SWEDENiQ

Hello to all, my very first post from here in Sweden. Just bought a 2009 1.0 iQ in very good condition, but it needs a new clutch & pressure plate, which the previous owner supplied.

Question 1: Does it also need a new throw-out bearing? Here's what happened. While test driving, and then driving it home, I noticed the trans suddenly losing contact with the engine at a steady 90kph/55mph in 5th gear only. Once I dropped it into 4th gear, it reconnected and stayed connected the rest of the journeys. Or could it be a 5th gear trans syncro issue? It shifts very solidly in-and-out of each gear, though there is little left of the clutch plate contact when I release the clutch pedal.

Question 2: Is it a difficult self-service job, as I have only ramps to elevate the front end? (I have searched the iQ forum, but could not find any "how to" on this matter)

I have not yet had any chance to check the trans fluid level & condition, as I am still learning where the level stick is located (or is there one for this 5-spd manual?) -- still might be a good idea to have it changed since the engine has 200K km/125K mostly highway miles on the odometer (spark plugs changed out at 140K km, disc rotors and pads replaced at 150K km, suspension super-tight for this year and mileage). Previous owner was a sales rep who claimed 80-90% highway mileage when going to-and-from clients. Service records are very thorough, with oil/filter changes every 8k-10k km. And I have faith in Toyota products, having been a Camry & Yaris owner until I made the mistake of buying a KIA (live and learn).

Question 3: Lastly, how do I determine if I have a Gen1 or Gen2 model, as I have seen discussed in several other iQ forum topics?

I am very happy and excited to be part of such a vibrant, experienced group. Hope I will also be able to help share good tips and such on the road ahead!

[ps: iQ photos, added details coming as I get better organised]

Yes change the Slave cylinder while you are in there, it's a concentric type so the gearbox need to come out to change it (the slave goes over the input shaft)

The IQ was just a single generation car 08-2014

as for the job, its the same engine and gearbox as the Yaris/Aygo

• Thanks 1

QUICK UPDATE: Still need to replace the clutch, but just realised my 5th gear actually disengages itself. The iQ drives fine at steady 80-90kph, but then the gear shift lever actually pops out of 5th gear. Does not occur in any other gear. Any thoughts, or is it directly related to replacing the clutch plates and slave cylinder? Thanks in advance!

As you mentioned in your original post, question 1, in my experience it’s been a worn synchro.

• Thanks 1

the gearbox has possible run low on oil 5th is usually the first to show any signs

• Thanks 1

If you do find whats wrong and find a solution, please come back and let us know.

• Thanks 1

Hi, it may be of use to know that there is a copy on the iQ forum of the complete Toyota repair manual.  I don't have an iQ, but I did download the manual about 5 months ago.

I can't remember what the thread topic that I found it on was about - it wasn't about repair manuals. 

The post was from a member called  "Cyker", if I remember correctly, (he has since sold his iQ and hasn't visited here in 20 months), and he provided a link.  I have looked for you, but I can't find that post!  Perhaps you would have better luck, or someone knows what the thread title was, or has the link?  The downloaded manual is about 300Mb.

The first page for your fault from the downloaded manual is this:

iQ.thumb.png.216594b0eef76eb3346b0834d8174ec6.png

On it's own this is probably not much help!

• Thanks 1

Thank you to all, especially Gerg with this latest response. I will look inside the Forum and see if I can find the manual. Very helpful tips & info from everyone. Terrific forum!!!

UPDATE: Found the old link, but it is no longer active. iQ service manuals are no longer available from Toyota, though I may go out and buy a "Haines" or similar repair manual, unless someone else has one to share. The "Owners" manuals ARE still available, but I have that with the car. All help very much appreciated, thanks again!!!

Hi, I found the post.  It was 'Craggle', not 'Cyker'  I think they were both popular posters once upon a time.

Anyway this was the link, it's quite a few posts down, a zipped file:-

So the topic was about workshop manuals after all!  I must remember to sleep better.

It seems to start downloading ok when I just tried.  You must read the readme instructions to start it!  It's not intuitive.

• Thanks 1

Gerg, it works. This was indeed the link I found, but when I clicked onto it, nothing seemed to happen after trying 3 times. But it actually was in my "Download" file of my desktop, all three copies. Just installed onto a external drive, followed the "Read Me" instructions and it works like a charm. If any ADMIN is reading this, it would make a terrific "sticky" inside the forum since it is so complete -- even has LHD instructions for folks like us in Sweden who drive on the 'wrong side' of the roads!

Tusen Tack as we say in Sweden, for everyone's help. What a fabulous resource!

• 3 months later...

I just changed the clutch on an Iq that I bought for the mother in law. 62,000 miles and its second clutch. It had been replaced previously with a cheap Aysin clutch. The plate itself still had plenty of friction plate left but the centre hub had somehow detached itself and would spin round on its own. 

The moral is to buy a decent quality kit. I purchased an Exedy which felt and looked like a rolls Royce when compared to the Aysin. 

I replaced all three parts and did the job in my driveway. There is a guy on the net has posted a video on changing one. It was a 1.3 and the main difference to a 1.0 was removing the offside driveshaft which was a *****! 

I was originally advised the clutch plate and kit was the same as a Toyota Aygo /C1. Its not. The spigot on the plate is smaller. I spent hours trying to mate it before I realised the problem.. The proper plate then mated very easily. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

hi there how did you remove the drivers side driveshaft ( long one )

On 5/12/2020 at 1:39 PM, NigelD said:

I just changed the clutch on an Iq that I bought for the mother in law. 62,000 miles and its second clutch. It had been replaced previously with a cheap Aysin clutch. The plate itself still had plenty of friction plate left but the centre hub had somehow detached itself and would spin round on its own. 

The moral is to buy a decent quality kit. I purchased an Exedy which felt and looked like a rolls Royce when compared to the Aysin. 

I replaced all three parts and did the job in my driveway. There is a guy on the net has posted a video on changing one. It was a 1.3 and the main difference to a 1.0 was removing the offside driveshaft which was a *****! 

I was originally advised the clutch plate and kit was the same as a Toyota Aygo /C1. Its not. The spigot on the plate is smaller. I spent hours trying to mate it before I realised the problem.. The proper plate then mated very easily. 

hi there how did you manage to remove the long drive shaft 

• 3 months later...

Its a Mod edit mate. . Same as the small one but then you have to leaver the housing that holds the middle bearing away after undoing a couple of nuts. It eventually just turns. It is located on two pins. I haven't found an easier way. 

You have to lever it back as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a Tad late to the party here but Kevin Albert Williams has just done an IQ on You Tube. Check out the video it's a good watch. Not many tools required and there's a description on the page but it does take a fair while to strip down due to everything being so condensed.