Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiring up DRL mini lights to my Aygo

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Guys,

Can anybody direct me step by step how I could wire up some Ring automotive drl lights I fitted to my front bumper a year ago but havents got around to figuring out how to wire them up, I'd really like to achieve this by myself than pay a technician!

These are the lights I have..

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&categoryId=165538&langId=-1&productId=232417&storeId=10001

And this the wiring kit i bought last year but i cant find the instructions in the box, think I've lost them, hence i have no clue!

https://www.google.com/search?q=ring+fast+wire+kit&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiE6Pe1m_7mAhWawYUKHaIYDWUQ2-cCegQIABAB&oq=ring+fast+wire+kit&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3...1108.1524..1873...0.0..0.103.186.1j1......0....1.SCbDueMpMJU&ei=WiUbXoTTNZqDlwSisbSoBg&bih=678&biw=412&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&prmd=sivn#imgrc=VgiyH-W_Ofs5UM

And that's where I'm at guys. So frustrating!

By the way ideally I'd like them to come when I switch my side lights on if possible AND install without running a seperate switch run in to the cabin area...i dislike the look of the switch in the contents box!

I spent the day yesterday wiring up genuine toyota wiring for some original fog lamps I bought on eBay, bought the wiring kit from my dealer, that was easy thanks to their easy follow instructions and pre wired plugs etc

Thank you in advance guys

Anybody? When you get a mo that is! Cheers

Here are the instructions from Ring.

https://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/295907.pdf

There are three ways of connecting these lamps as DRL. These methods work in Aygos delivered to Sweden since it has negative ground and positive wire switching for lights. I believe some Aygos delivered to other countries have negative side switching and that complicates the whole process and may need a different process.

(1) Connecting the DRL to the Aygo's side light circuit so that it is always on, as soon as you start your car. It is on even when you switch on your headlight. This mode is illegal in some countries like Sweden. The DRL has to go off when headlight is on. How do we do that? By using a relay.

(2) connecting the DRL to the side light again but via a relay that switches on and off the power to the DRL depending on the headlight being on or off as I mentioned above. It gets its power from side light wire but since the relay sits in the middle it acts as a gate. The relay is also connected to the headlight wire and knows when the headlights are on or off.

(3) Connecting the DRL via the "Amazon DRLmodule  box" that you mentioned above. That box has two functions. It has a voltage sensor that senses the rise in voltage as soon as you start the car (due to the car generator kicking in). It then sends power to the DRL putting it on. The box is also connected to the headlight wire so that as soon as headlight is switched on it cuts off the power to the DRL (the second function). No need to connect to side lights here. The DRL box gets its power directly from the car Battery.

I would chose the second solution here since Aygo is a very simple car and it is the cheapest and a reliable solution. All you need now is a few metres of wire, connectors and a relay.

So how do I connect the relay?

Get a relay that has following terminals (Bosch, Hella etc makes them), 30, 85, 86, 87, 87a see below. Connect the positive wire from the side light to the position 30. Connect the positive from the headlight low beam wire to position 86. Connect the DRL positive wire to 87a. Connect the earth (any metal chassis in the car) to 85 on the relay. Connect the negative wire from the DRL lamps to another earth point (any metal chassis in the car).

index.jpg

1 hour ago, rajivrattna said:

Here are the instructions from Ring.

https://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/295907.pdf

There are three ways of connecting these lamps as DRL. These methods work in Aygos delivered to Sweden since it has negative ground and positive wire switching for lights. I believe some Aygos delivered to other countries have negative side switching and that complicates the whole process and may need a different process.

(1) Connecting the DRL to the Aygo's side light circuit so that it is always on, as soon as you start your car. It is on even when you switch on your headlight. This mode is illegal in some countries like Sweden. The DRL has to go off when headlight is on. How do we do that? By using a relay.

(2) connecting the DRL to the side light again but via a relay that switches on and off the power to the DRL depending on the headlight being on or off as I mentioned above. It gets its power from side light wire but since the relay sits in the middle it acts as a gate. The relay is also connected to the headlight wire and knows when the headlights are on or off.

(3) Connecting the DRL via the "amazon DRLmodule  box" that you mentioned above. That box has two functions. It has a voltage sensor that senses the rise in voltage as soon as you start the car (due to the car generator kicking in). It then sends power to the DRL putting it on. The box is also connected to the headlight wire so that as soon as headlight is switched on it cuts off the power to the DRL (the second function). No need to connect to side lights here. The DRL box gets its power directly from the car battery.

I would chose the second solution here since Aygo is a very simple car and it is the cheapest and a reliable solution. All you need now is a few metres of wire, connectors and a relay.

So how do I connect the relay?

Get a relay that has following terminals (Bosch, Hella etc makes them), 30, 85, 86, 87, 87a see below. Connect the positive wire from the side light to the position 30. Connect the positive from the headlight low beam wire to position 86. Connect the DRL positive wire to 87a. Connect the earth (any metal chassis in the car) to 85 on the relay. Connect the negative wire from the DRL lamps to another earth point (any metal chassis in the car).

index.jpg

Rajivrattna, i am lost for words, thank you so much, your write up is perfect, just what I needed.

You recommend option 2 on your list, however I’ve already ordered the part relating to option 3 last night via Amazon, to me it seemed the best option as it looked so easy to wire up and has excellent reviews. 

Now that you have illustrated so clearly how to wire up a relay...option 2 doesn’t seem so difficult anymore...maybe I’ll make that my back up plan incase option 3 doesn’t work out (faulty unit etc)

I can’t wait to start this project. I’m happy with the drl’s switching on at start up with lights off, and then going off with lights on. 

I will update this thread once I’ve finished the project!

Cheers again

The pleasure is all mine, being able to share what little I have learnt during my numerous DRL projects before. The DRL module from Amazon is going to work fine and I have used a similar set up with Philips DRL in my older BMW with good result many years ago. In your case, I am a little concerned about the positive feed back wire from the headlight wiring harness that is to be connected to the module. I hope it has a positive current switching for the whole set up to work. I could have checked the colour of the wire in our Aygo from 2008 but my wife has taken the Aygo to work. May be this evening, I will check and let you know which wire in the head light cluster you should be tapping in to (perhaps you already know!). I like your approach, gather all possible information before you get to work. Here is a video of Hella DRL connected to BMW with negative feed back from headlight low beam wire.

8 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

The pleasure is all mine, being able to share what little I have learnt during my numerous DRL projects before. The DRL module from Amazon is going to work fine and I have used a similar set up with Philips DRL in my older BMW with good result many years ago. In your case, I am a little concerned about the positive feed back wire from the headlight wiring harness that is to be connected to the module. I hope it has a positive current switching for the whole set up to work. I could have checked the colour of the wire in our Aygo from 2008 but my wife has taken the Aygo to work. May be this evening, I will check and let you know which wire in the head light cluster you should be tapping in to (perhaps you already know!). I like your approach, gather all possible information before you get to work. Here is a video of Hella DRL connected to BMW with negative feed back from headlight low beam wire.

Dear rajivrattna,

Thank you for ALL your input.

And you've made me blush with your offer to help me all the way by identifying the colour wire I'd need to tap in to...yes please I ask humbly.

That would be great only if you have that moment. 

Cheers 

Re my choice in unit purchased, fingers crossed it works out re.the positive current switching, it's an aygo and universal unit, I know BMW's can be more way more complex, I think it'll be okay!!

Sorry, I have not been able to go out and check the wires because of the storm and rain and the car is parked some distance from the house. But here is how to identify it. The H4 bulb has three pins/terminals, one on the top and one each on the sides. The top most one is for the low beam. See attached photos. Identify the wire going to the top most pin and connect your negative feed back wire from the DRL module (orange?) to it, in the same way as the guy called SY SJ271EW (read his review in Amazon on the Dectane DRL module). You must have a inline fuse in the red wire going to the Battery positive terminal for short circuit protection. I would pull out the fuse and make all connections first as needed and then put back the fuse and test the light. Good luck.

h4pin.png

H4Plug.jpg

4 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

Sorry, I have not been able to go out and check the wires because of the storm and rain and the car is parked some distance from the house. But here is how to identify it. The H4 bulb has three pins/terminals, one on the top and one each on the sides. The top most one is for the low beam. See attached photos. Identify the wire going to the top most pin and connect your negative feed back wire from the DRL module (orange?) to it, in the same way as the guy called SY SJ271EW (read his review in Amazon on the Dectane DRL module). You must have a inline fuse in the red wire going to the battery positive terminal for short circuit protection. I would pull out the fuse and make all connections first as needed and then put back the fuse and test the light. Good luck.

h4pin.png

H4Plug.jpg

Afternoon Rajiv,

Cheers again, those diagrams are most helpful.

I think I'm all set "thank you" to you, I hope that I can be of great assistance to someone on these forums in future!

So to confirm, once the module arrives...

1. I connect the ends with the bullet connectors to each light (I assume they must be marked Right and Left)

2. I connect the single orange wire from the module to the low beam wire which is the top pin on the wired plug to headlight bulb

3. I connect the single black wire from the module to the negative on my vehicle Battery (here I might crumple an end with a metal circle thingy so it sits and looks nice on the negative terminal)

4. Finally I connect the single red wire from the module to the positive terminal on my vehicle Battery (using the same method as above negative fittings) HOWEVER crumple an inline fuse you advised in between the Battery terminal and going to the drl's...does it matter if the wires on the inline fuse I'll be using are of a thicker gauge than the wiring on the module???

I cant wait to get this project done...weekend...but weather permitting! It's terribly wet at the moment sadly.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:01 AM, rajivrattna said:

My inline fuse I happen to have at home from an ring wiring kit...has a 15amp fuse installed...will this do or shall i grab a new one from Halfords? I'll chop the white plug on it to connect inline with the module positive wire!!

20200115_144547.jpg

3 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

1. I connect the ends with the bullet connectors to each light (I assume they must be marked Right and Left)

Yes

2. I connect the single orange wire from the module to the low beam wire which is the top pin on the wired plug to headlight bulb

Yes

3. I connect the single black wire from the module to the negative on my vehicle battery (here I might crumple an end with a metal circle thingy so it sits and looks nice on the negative terminal)

Yes. It can also be connected to any chassis metal point in the car.

4. Finally I connect the single red wire from the module to the positive terminal on my vehicle battery (using the same method as above negative fittings) HOWEVER crumple an inline fuse you advised in between the battery terminal and going to the drl's...does it matter if the wires on the inline fuse I'll be using are of a thicker gauge than the wiring on the module???

Yes. Use the inline fuse that you have.  It does not matter if the inline fuse wire is thicker. The fuses are made for different car accessories that consume more electricity than the DRL. Don't forget to pull out the fuse in the inline fuse box before you start connecting the wires. That way you do not have current going in to the wires and module until all connections are made and fixed. Then put in the fuse and start the car and check your work! That fuse trick is quite nice if you want to disable your DRL (driving in foreign countries with different DRL rules or a nosy traffic COP who does not like your DRL).

Good luck.

Cheers Rajiv,

I am fully equipped in my head now, I shall report back once completed.

I was just reading your input re reverse sensors on the other thread, hmmm, I might make that my next project!

As far as the reversing sensors are concerned, if I was doing it again, I would go for the backup/reversing camera instead of the four ultrasonic sensors. You get more information from the camera and only one hole is required for the camera in the bumper. But you have to drag the wires from the camera to inside the cupe (as for the ultrasonic sensors) and after connecting to reverse light wire, drag another set of wires to the front of the car under the carpet or door sill and attach to a small video screen mounted on the dash. Done. I did that to my daughter's car, Hyundai Accent, recently.

12 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

As far as the reversing sensors are concerned, if I was doing it again, I would go for the backup/reversing camera instead of the four ultrasonic sensors. You get more information from the camera and only one hole is required for the camera in the bumper. But you have to drag the wires from the camera to inside the cupe (as for the ultrasonic sensors) and after connecting to reverse light wire, drag another set of wires to the front of the car under the carpet or door sill and attach to a small video screen mounted on the dash. Done. I did that to my daughter's car, Hyundai Accent, recently.

Interesting read, cheers, I might consider that video screen option in future, the vehicle is so small it’s a teed embarrassing needing any form of aid in all honesty! But I guess every little bit helps.

There is another solution which doesnt require you to fit another light to the front of the car. They are called switchback LEDs and they are used as a combined indicator and DRL. In normal use they are on as DRLs then when you indicate the LED switches the white off  and the orange flashes as a normal indicator. All the above help given can still be used (as you need to disable the DRL when you put your lights on), its just the actual light source that is different. You would need to check the type of bulb connection on these cars as there are a few types. This is the kind of thing...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-1156-BAU15S-Amber-White-Switchback-LED-DRL-Turn-Signal-Light-Bulbs/254344460556?epid=9014704423&hash=item3b381c790c:g:92QAAOSwdzNdZ9PJ

2 hours ago, SimonIG10 said:

There is another solution which doesnt require you to fit another light to the front of the car. They are called switchback LEDs and they are used as a combined indicator and DRL. In normal use they are on as DRLs then when you indicate the LED switches the white off  and the orange flashes as a normal indicator. All the above help given can still be used (as you need to disable the DRL when you put your lights on), its just the actual light source that is different. You would need to check the type of bulb connection on these cars as there are a few types. This is the kind of thing...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-1156-BAU15S-Amber-White-Switchback-LED-DRL-Turn-Signal-Light-Bulbs/254344460556?epid=9014704423&hash=item3b381c790c:g:92QAAOSwdzNdZ9PJ

Sounds interesting, save that mod for another time, or another vehicle even, cheers though!

Hi Rajiv,

Good news, the weather today was perfect for it, hence i attempted the drl box install, following all your instructions to the T!

Ok, so the wires going to each drl lamp werent marked R or L hence I assumed this wouldnt make a difference, they consisted of 1 plain red wire and 1 black wire with a white line on it. I gathered the plain red was negative and the black white lined positive! The bullet connectors on the ends of these matched perfect with the connections on the drl lamps, simply slotted in.

I then removed the fuse from the fuse holder and set up my positive connection to the Battery.

Did the same with the negative direct to the Battery minus the fuse!

And then came the infamous orange wire. Okay this is where I may have a problem...looking at the headlamp plug on the passenger side, I opted for the top pin like you said which is white in colour wire, the two side wires are red and green. I used one those connector things whereby you slide it over the white wire and the orange one sits next to it and you close the cap and slightly crumple...cant think what it's called now!

My problem, although everything works fine! When I start the car...the drl's dont switch on, neither when I select side lights on the 1st turn on my light stalk...but do when I select the 2nd turn for full beam on my stalk.

Not sure what to do now for the drl's are supposed to switch off when I select side lights or full beams? Am I right? I'm thinking whether I should connect the orange wire to the drivers side plug but it would look untidy and unsure if the wire is long enough.

I'll be out tomorrow again to scratch my head looking at it!

Cheers Rajiv

Ignore the wiring mess...temporary until I get them working as they should before I cable tie them and tuck away.

IMG-20200118-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200118-WA0000.jpg

Looking at my Haynes manual...woosh...right over my head!

20200118_201248.jpg

Sorry to hear that it did not work the way we wanted and it may be due to that issue that I mentioned earlier that is called "negative switching" in cars supplied to UK. Most cars have positive switching. Because of negative switching, there is always power to your low beam and high beam wire and you are connected to the low beam side, and therefore the LED light is switched off.  But there has to be a way that it is going to work and perhaps we should think logically here. The LED lights are working but not the way we want.  We have a few more options like (1) connecting that orange wire to the negative pole of that headlight terminal, which receives power only when the head lights are turned on (low or high beam). (2) If that does not work we can try connecting the orange wire to the side light positive wire as the user manual in your Ring LED suggests. Hopefully that bulb has a positive switching! We don't know. Side light is the small bulb that lies within the big headlight reflector. You can clearly see it from out side. I would try the connection to the negative terminal of the headlight first.

The negative terminal is marked as "common" in the bulb and socket photos.

Sam I have found a site that might help us out in negatively switched cars. I'll see if I can figure it out first since we are connecting a DRL and not xtra driving lights in your car. Here is the link if you are interested but it needs working out in your car. Wait, don't change wiring as yet! You can remove the orange wire connection so that the DRL is on every time you start the car and shuts off when you shut off the car. As far as the low beam switching is concerned just wait till I have worked it out.

http://www.ironman4x4.com/system/resources/W1siZiIsIjIwMTQvMTAvMTYvOGEyYWR3NHZ0OV9kcml2aW5nX2xpZ2h0c19pbS5wZGYiXV0/driving_lights_im.pdf

OK Sam, here is the summary of it all. To get it to work, you need a separate relay to feed the orange wire with switched current and many more connections. It can be done as the people in Jaguar forum but it is difficult. If you want I can post you a link but I would just remove the orange wire and not connect it to any thing. That way the DRL will be on as long as the ignition is on and will switch off when you shut the car. I'll post the link any way so that you see how much work is required to feed that orange wire.

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=63301&page=2

this is how i put drl's on a car a few years ago

drl's came on with ignition and turned off with the sidelights on

i used a 5 pin changeover relay

5 pin relay.jpg

2 hours ago, eygo said:

this is how i put drl's on a car a few years ago

drl's came on with ignition and turned off with the sidelights on

i used a 5 pin changeover relay

5 pin relay.jpg

It resembles the post that I made much higher up in the thread and will work with positive switching, but unfortunately Aygo supplied to UK has a negative switching and that has created problem for Sam. Your car with DRL was it an Aygo?