Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help, water leaking into boot (Yaris sr 1.8)

Gazmac

Help

I’ve been finding water leaking into the boot of my Yaris SR 1.8, it’s coming from behind the rear lights. I first thought it could be the light gaskets which after much searching I have replaced but water is still getting through, it looks like it is tracking down from above the lights but inside the body work. Does anyone know of any other seals that be leaking.

Do you have a sun roof ? Remove the interior trim and put down a dusting of baby powder (talc) the water will put marks in the powder allowing you to trace it

otherwise, remove and inspect the rubber boots that go into the car from the tailgate

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

Do you have a sun roof ?

That's my first question too.  Once bitten, twice shy.  Don't buy a car with a sunroof. 😟

We had big problems with our Renault Clio as it got a bit older.  I had to take it off completely, clean out the inadequate original sealant, and use loads of gutter sealant to squidge it all back together.  It wasn't the rubber seal where the sunroof glass opened and closed as that was fine, but it was the framework of the structure that fitted to the main roof sealant.  Took ages to find the problem.

Mick.

Hi

thanks for the responses, I don’t have a sun roof. It looks like it could only come from the seal around the rear washer or the electrical seal near the spoiler both of which appear in good condition and the amount of water that pools in my boot points to significant leak.

Gary, has the rubber seal on the electrical supply loom ever been disturbed?. It has two tiny plastic clips which hold the rubber seal waterproof and are very easily broken. Halfords technician broke mine when wiring a rear cam causing a leak into the spare wheel well, which meant Toyota dealer to fit a new loom. After receiving paperwork from Toyota, Halfords accepted responsibility and paid for all costs involved. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this with my Aygo. It seemed to be coming in from the top, central  brake light. Are there any black spots on the inside of the roof where the back of the brake light would be? That’s usually a sign. If it’s anything like mine then it’s easy enough to remove and check if it’s wet. Hope this helps 🤞

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links