Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nearly an Imported Granvia owner

EdUpNorth

Hi all,

Should be the owner of a Granvia in the coming weeks. I'm aware that sourcing parts for imported vehicles may be an issue, does anyone have experience of running a Granvia?

This vehicle failed MoT when it first entered the country for 4 CV boots on front axle. It subsequently passed but I'm guessing (will ask when go and see it again) that it just had new rubber boots and grease to get it though MoT. 

On the basis it will need new CV joints on the front at some stage can anyone recommend a source of parts?

I don't have the chassis model code but it's a 2000 3.4l V6 AWD.

Any help welcome!

Rubber degrades over time it's more than likely just that especially if its not been used for some time, inner cv's rarely fail, outers do fail but as long as its greased and the boot is sealed not an issue

if there was an issue with the cv's it would have been found

As for parts, importing them isn't an issue, many parts are the same as other models so are obtainable but don't expect to find them on the shelf in some cases they are not cheap either

If its a fresh import you may want to replace the stereo as it will be JDM only in Japanese (no English)

PS. I take in you have checked your insurance as not all providers cover imports

52 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Rubber degrades over time it's more than likely just that especially if its not been used for some time, inner cv's rarely fail, outers do fail but as long as its greased and the boot is sealed not an issue

if there was an issue with the cv's it would have been found

As for parts, importing them isn't an issue, many parts are the same as other models so are obtainable but don't expect to find them on the shelf in some cases they are not cheap either

If its a fresh import you may want to replace the stereo as it will be JDM only in Japanese (no English

PS. I take in you have checked your insurance as not all providers cover imports

Thanks, I'm waiting for a supposed tyre issue to be sorted as had a vibration at 40 or 50mph on test drive. That's when I got myself worrying about CV joints based on previous MoT. 

It's was imported a year ago and has undergone a camper conversion so has been sitting around a bit. I'm prepared to have to replace things as it's a 19 year old vehicle, just got to hope it's not too many things early on.

i got some quotes through Advance and Lifesure which seemed ok.

Looks like biggest bill after purchase cost will be fuel. I hope.

Camper conversions of vans seem to attract a hefty price tag regardless of manufacturer and there's a massive VW premium. Maybe I need to get into the conversion business, must make a pretty penny.

i know some Merc AMG van conversions are into £100-£150k - I have seen some Granvia's commanding £12-25K

I would also suggest you check the coverage of any AA, RAC or Greenflag for a conversion as i know there can be limitations due to age and weight

• Thanks 1

As regards insurance, you could try contacting Adrian Flux who do insure grey imports and offer insurance to Toyota Owners Club members - 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i know some Merc AMG van conversions are into £100-£150k - I have seen some Granvia's commanding £12-25K

I would also suggest you check the coverage of any AA, RAC or Greenflag for a conversion as i know there can be limitations due to age and weight

Hadn't though of that, cheers. I've had AA cover up to now. Will defo want something to get me home and the vehicle to my local garage.

This van was up for 17. Have agreed a slightly lower price but also having a few bits and bobs done before complete purchase. The fit and finish on the conversion is tidy.

Hoping it'll get us to Scotland at Easter and Austria in Summer so got a bit of time to make sure it's mechanically sound.

Hi Ed, welcome. Japanese imports are not normally under sealed so I would look to see if it has been done, if not it will be worth getting it done to protect the underside.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TP49 said:

Hi Ed, welcome. Japanese imports are not normally under sealed so I would look to see if it has been done, if not it will be worth getting it done to protect the underside.

Yes it's just a bare chassis. I've seen the treatment centre options.... Seems pretty steep! I've a compressor and spray gun and access to some wheel ramps. Am I being over ambitious to think I'll be able to waxoyl it myself or is it better to get it applied by someone who does it for a living?

I had mine wax oiled cost about £250, they got in all the nooks and crannies I think it was worth the cost.  Wax oil smells for a few days after its been done but soon wears off. If you can do it yourself all well and good save a few quid good luck mate.

Welcome Ed.

Hope all goes well with the Granvia...nice vehicle and should prove very robust and reliable.

As said...underseal would be well worthwhile ( I ha d mine done as part of the deal when I bought it)...and as Tony say, Adrian Flux would be a good place to go for insurance.

I've used them for years and have my Estima covered through them.

You shouldn't have too many problems with parts etc..there is a a lot of commonality within models..Hiace etc...I've yet to fail on anything I've needed for my V6 Estima.

Have a look at sites such as Megazip and toyoDIY...very helpful for parts identification.

All you need is the FRAME number..and then you can parts search easily...if you put your frame number into toyoDIY it will tell you much about your specific vehicle...build date, external and internal colour details, specs etc.

Living with a JDM import shouldn't be any more difficult than a UK/Euro vehicle tbh..enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TP49 said:

I had mine wax oiled cost about £250, they got in all the nooks and crannies I think it was worth the cost.  Wax oil smells for a few days after its been done but soon wears off. If you can do it yourself all well and good save a few quid good luck mate.

£250 is reasonable. It was the dinitrol price Id looked at which was upwards of £850! I'll defo take a look at a waxoyl  centre. Cheers.

1 hour ago, RUToyota said:

Welcome Ed.

Hope all goes well with the Granvia...nice vehicle and should prove very robust and reliable.

As said...underseal would be well worthwhile ( I ha d mine done as part of the deal when I bought it)...and as Tony say, Adrian Flux would be a good place to go for insurance.

I've used them for years and have my Estima covered through them.

You shouldn't have too many problems with parts etc..there is a a lot of commonality within models..Hiace etc...I've yet to fail on anything I've needed for my V6 Estima.

Have a look at sites such as Megazip and toyoDIY...very helpful for parts identification.

All you need is the FRAME number..and then you can parts search easily...if you put your frame number into toyoDIY it will tell you much about your specific vehicle...build date, external and internal colour details, specs etc.

Living with a JDM import shouldn't be any more difficult than a UK/Euro vehicle tbh..enjoy it.

That's very reassuring thanks! 

Hi and welcome.

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.

Regards,

Dan