Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DRLs

152bobby

On the 2014 Toyota Aygo x-pression I have bought for my daughter, is there any way to have the auto headlight function turn on/off and activate the DRLs accordingly ? 

For safety reasons I'd like my daughter to have the DRLs on during daylight all the time, but once she finds out about the auto headlight function, I think she will never use the DRLs. 

Not sure why Toyota have done it this way in the first place !!

The DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) are on as long as the ignition is on that is what they are designed to do if they are factory fit items

I fully understand that concept, my question is when I have the auto headlights function on, the DRLs will not come on, unless I turn the auto headlights function off.

I hope I'm making sense 🙄

Ah got it, not 100% but i think that is a programmable feature that can be changed by a dealer or someone with techstream

It's in for a service at Toyota on Friday, I'll ask them, thanks.

My manual states that you can't have headlights and DRL on at the same time. I have an older Aygo though.

I'll wait and see what Toyota dealer says, but I think it probably can't be done by them.  I imagine a good auto electrician could probably make it work !!!

The relay is located in the relay box on the passenger side (headlight area) 1 fuse feeds both sides of the relay it uses a negative control from the dash eg. grounding the relay turn them on/off, if its not doable in software its just 1 wire

I have found the diagram Pages 72, 73 and 78

SM_1(1).pdf

Interesting thanks.  I'll wait to see what the dealer says, it would be nice if they came up with your option, if they can't do it via software !!!

2 minutes ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

Interesting thanks.  I'll wait to see what the dealer says, it would be nice if they came up with your option, if they can't do it via software !!!

I doubt it lol i did have a look just in case there was a relay change, unless you get lucky and find a tech with half a clue

They have given me a 2019 Aygo as a loan car, first thing I've noticed is on the loan car, they have sensibly put the guide lines back onto the reverse camera, as there are none on mine 🤔🙄

1 hour ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

They have given me a 2019 Aygo as a loan car, first thing I've noticed is on the loan car, they have sensibly put the guide lines back onto the reverse camera, as there are none on mine 🤔🙄

Reading through your post about the guide line markings, I remembered that as I was mounting a Sony 2din stereo and a separate non oem reversing camera in my daughter's Hyundai accent, that there were two sets of guide lines, one from the camera itself (activated by joining together two wires attached to the rear end of the camera) and another set of guide lines from Sony stereo itself. Since I used the guidelines from the camera itself, I had to go into the Sony stereo menu and disable the guide lines from the stereo. Are you sure you do not have those two tiny wires dangling behind the camera that you can join together?

I wouldn't know, just bought it the other day, but why on earth would Toyota take the guide lines away and possibly leave the wires unconnected, serves no purpose at all to omit the guidelines !!!

If you search on "aygo camera ", you'll find plenty of folk complaining about the camera's lack of lines. It's sadly not disconnected wires, the lines are from the camera itself.  Or not. 

Dealer said that they cannot do what I asked with the DRLs , but mentioned any good auto electrician could probably do it.

I can't imagine it that hard anyway, as I got aftermarket DRLs fitted to my RAV4 and that also has auto headlights and they wired it up so that when the auto headlights come on, the DRLs Dom for night time driving, or I had the option for them to go off completely, but I opted for the dim function.

This is weird, but on my 2016 Yaris Hybrid (German model) the DRL lights (three LEDs on every side) are on all the time, even if the low beam headlights are on.

However, there is another thing, which really annoys me: With DRL on, you have an illuminated cockpit, but no taillights, so when you drive at night, the light in front of your car may seem bright enough - but the back of the car stays dark. I have seen numerous cars driving around this way.

Probably the safest way would be what is called "scandinavian lights". In Sweden it used to be the law that you have to switch on your low beam lights all the day. So cars in Sweden were wired that way that they switch on the lights as soon as you switch on the ignition, and they switch off the lights when you switch off the ignition.

Maybe your dealer can activate this mode.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank