Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 plug-in - more detail

FROSTYBALLS

Got official info. for RAV 4 PHEV in Sweden today.

Pre orderable from now and delivery in sept./oct .

Prices start at 499 999 sek (about 40 620 GBP i think) but then Youll get an climate bonus with 38 000 sek (about 3 087GBP i think) in Sweden soo...

Youll end up paying about 462 000 sek (about 37 556 GBP) for lowes trim model, in Sweden

32 minutes ago, MrBee said:

This has been updated today with a few more details :

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-reveals-new-rav4-plug-in-hybrid

At the end it says details of pricing are to follow 

Same link as in the first post.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Plug-in hybrid grant reduced for vehicles under £50,000, grant removed for vehicles over £50,000.

See 

Anyone who knows about dimensions /measurements for RAV 4 PHEV trunk space,  boot floor to ceiling 

• 3 weeks later...

Heard that some dealers expect to get the new RAV 4 PHEV this august.

Is there any known delays for Rav 4 Plug In relese i EU ?

• 3 months later...

Just bumping this up to see if anyone has heard anything about UK release and prices.

The reviews from the US are looking good and showing actual performance matching the spec, on BHP and EV.

But the reviews are almost equally matched with news about the low quantity of vehicles available in the first two years, less than 1 per dealer in the first year. 

So assuming UK is going to have similar or worst problem wondering how dealers are going to allocate. 

US models are built in Canada. While I've no idea / inside information I guess that numbers of plug-ins vs standard hybrid cars will be determined by estimated market demand and possibly Battery availability.

AFAIK all UK cars come from Japan - we still have no idea on specs, or price, let alone volumes. And then there's the Suzuki Across to factor in to the consideration (not to mention the Covid-19 effect).

My understanding is that UK dealers will give priority to owners of seven year old diesel RAVs ...

• 3 weeks later...

Saw, in two different Swedish car magasines, that the official WLTP for the new RAV 4 Plug In will be 95 km in Japan (think Japan got 100km/h speed limit)  and 75 km i Europé.

18.1 kWh litiumjon Battery

Talked to my local dealer today and they will get their Rav 4 PHEV demo 28 august.

They also said the PHEV will be 40 mm (about 1.574" I think) lower in the boot , floor to celing, Higher than the RAV 4 2019 Hybrid.

(the Battery will make the boot floor 40 mm higher)

On 8/3/2020 at 3:19 PM, HSDish said:

Talked to my local dealer today and they will get their Rav 4 PHEV demo 28 august.

They also said the PHEV will be 40 mm (about 1.574" I think) lower in the boot , floor to celing, Higher than the RAV 4 2019 Hybrid.

(the battery will make the boot floor 40 mm higher)

2 hours ago, Terry10 said:

Hi

will that mean no spare wheel !

We still don't have specs, prices or timescales for any UK version so anything we say at this point is, to some extent, speculation. As I understand:

• The traction Battery lives under the floor, between the front and rear wheel so has no impact on boot space.
  • I suspect that the charging unit lives under / behind the rear seat and it may be this that takes up some boot space. As I understand the 12v auxiliary Battery also lives in the boot rather than under the bonnet - existing 4.5 hybrid owners can probably confirm ...
  • In France there are already some preliminary specs available for download which state that French models will come with a space saver spare wheel. (But the prices being rumoured were just scarey!)

And, it may be the case that, with the plug-in hybrid, one may be able to get a pan-roof and a spare wheel since the emissions calculations will be somewhat different.

But this is all just speculation until we get UK specific detail ... 😉

4 hours ago, philip42h said:

...In France there are already some preliminary specs available for download which state that French models will come with a space saver spare wheel...

The models shown on YouTube videos from the USA show a space saver under the boot floor (I supposed I should say trunk, as it American!).  Alex for Autos has actually bought a 2019 RAV4 and fitted a full size spare wheel and tyres under the boot floor.  He has also done a video on a RAV4 Prime that he had for several days, and confirmed there is not space for a full size spare on that one.  This may be partly because the Prime has wider tyres than nay existing 2019/20 RAV4s.

Of course, there's no telling what spec and options will arrive in the UK when it finally arrives, we generally seem to get short changed compared to many other countries, although TBF Toyota are far from alone in this - indeed, British Leyland (for those old enough to remember them) actually sold cars in other countries that we couldn't get at all (e.g. Austin Victoria).

I'd have happily (well, begrudgingly actually) paid up to £,200 extra for an option pack that induced kit that can be had on some US and German RAV4s.

5 hours ago, philip42h said:

... it may be the case that, with the plug-in hybrid, one may be able to get a pan-roof and a spare wheel since the emissions calculations will be somewhat different...

In the US, there is an option pack (possibly only available on the higher spec version) that caught my eye because it includes a Head Up Display, but it also included the panoramic roof (which obviously would please some people, but would rule it out or me).

Top trim level in Sweden (can.t find anything about ceramic roof or spare wheel but I'm 99% sure that it wont come with spare wheel , Though)

Price in Sweden SEK 569,900 (about GBP 49,990.8 I think)

Before Grant . In Sweden You still get 44.000 sek ( 3.850.5 GBP I think) in grant (after six mounths) if You buy an Rav 4 PHEV

Active cruise control plus • Automatic air conditioning (AAC) • Reversing camera • Electrically operated tailgate • Electric adjustable driver's seat • Electrically heated steering wheel • Electrically heated exterior seats in the rear seat • Projector headlights, LED • Parking sensors front and rear • Rain sensor • Smart Start • Roof railing

Dark-tinted rear windows • Black synthetic half-leather upholstery with red contrast stitching • Wireless mobile phone charger (Qi)

9" Toyota Touch screen • 19" alloy wheels • Bi tone roof in Attitude Black • Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) • Metallic lacquer • Dark-tinted rear panes • Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) • Side rear view mirrors with entry lighting • Black synthetic halfleather upholstery with red contrast seams

Digital interior rear view mirror • Driver's seat with memory function • Driver's seat and front passenger seat with ventilation system • Panoramic view Monitor with 360 monitor • Leather upholstery with perforated pattern • Wireless mobile phone charger (Qi) • Windshield warm-up (de icer) • Windshield display, Head Up Display (HUD)

• 3 weeks later...

Got a message from our local Toyota dealer, that said they got their demo and showroom Rav 4 plug In cars, today.

Ill try to visit them for a quick look tomorrow, friday.

Official release here in Sweden firday 4 sept.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, HSDish said:

Top trim level in Sweden (can.t find anything about ceramic roof or spare wheel but I'm 99% sure that it wont come with spare wheel , Though)

Price in Sweden SEK 569,900 (about GBP 49,990.8 I think)

Before Grant . In Sweden You still get 44.000 sek ( 3.850.5 GBP I think) in grant (after six mounths) if You buy an Rav 4 PHEV

Active cruise control plus • Automatic air conditioning (AAC) • Reversing camera • Electrically operated tailgate • Electric adjustable driver's seat • Electrically heated steering wheel • Electrically heated exterior seats in the rear seat • Projector headlights, LED • Parking sensors front and rear • Rain sensor • Smart Start • Roof railing

Dark-tinted rear windows • Black synthetic half-leather upholstery with red contrast stitching • Wireless mobile phone charger (Qi)

9" Toyota Touch screen • 19" alloy wheels • Bi tone roof in Attitude Black • Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) • Metallic lacquer • Dark-tinted rear panes • Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) • Side rear view mirrors with entry lighting • Black synthetic halfleather upholstery with red contrast seams

Digital interior rear view mirror • Driver's seat with memory function • Driver's seat and front passenger seat with ventilation system • Panoramic view Monitor with 360 monitor • Leather upholstery with perforated pattern • Wireless mobile phone charger (Qi) • Windshield warm-up (de icer) • Windshield display, Head Up Display (HUD)

How does that compare cost wise with the similar spec Hybrid version ?

1 hour ago, 182_blue said:

How does that compare cost wise with the similar spec Hybrid version ?

If you download the Swedish price lists, you will see that a Style hybrid retails from 394,900 krona while the plug-in equivalent retails from 534,900 krona ... so that makes the 'plug' worth 140,000 krona. I don't know whether that really means anything, nor how it might relate to UK pricing but that seems to be what it is in Sweden ... 😉

15 minutes ago, philip42h said:

If you download the Swedish price lists, you will see that a Style hybrid retails from 394,900 krona while the plug-in equivalent retails from 534,900 krona ... so that makes the 'plug' worth 140,000 krona. I don't know whether that really means anything, nor how it might relate to UK pricing but that seems to be what it is in Sweden ... 😉

That's a huge difference, plus I'm the UK and if it goes over the 40k threshold then its £500 a year road tax instead of £165!, the benefit of plug in over regular hybrid would take forever to recoup. 

1 hour ago, 182_blue said:

That's a huge difference, plus I'm the UK and if it goes over the 40k threshold then its £500 a year road tax instead of £165!, the benefit of plug in over regular hybrid would take forever to recoup. 

My thoughts exactly.  I think it's very unlikely a Plug-in RAV4 will list for less than £40k in the UK (even if you got a discount that brings it below that, the tax is based on list price).

Particularity annoying and short sighted of the government because if the RAV4 PHEV really does 40+ miles EV (which all the reviews so far seem to support) in cases like mine it would mean zero emissions on the road (excluding power generation) for the vast majoprity of the time.  I certainly agree with giving maximum incentives for pure EVs, but there should still be some incentive for getting the next best thing to encourage those who can't consider an EV for whatever reason to make a move in the right direction.

In my case too, as well as the hit on the trade-in value of my one year old RAV, I wouldn't be able to keep the full size spare wheel or 5 All Season tyres I use in the winter because the Prime has wider tyres, and I think the better spec one has 19".

Plus if they follow the format of the Prius plug-in and trim levels in the USA there will only be two versions equivalent to the middle two trim levels of the RAV ordinaire.  If that means losing some equipment and maybe having to put up with dark interior colours, that puts me off even more.  It's a shame, because if like US versions it comes with a space saver spare wheel, it'll be the only EV or PHEV that has a spare, which it what's stopped me getting an EV or PHEV to date.

The 'obvious' UK comparison is the 2019 Prius Excel - the hybrid costs around £28k while the plug-in costs around £34k, so the Prius 'plug' looks to cost around £6k. I don't think anyone could expect the RAV plug to cost less and the difference could well be more.

Since Toyota have already said that the plug-in technology will be available as a specific top of the range edition we might expect around £39k for a well spec'd Excl or Dynamic (current prices) plus £6k for the plug ... giving a best price of around £45k - comparable with the equivalent Peugeot. That's merely speculation but, as above, I doubt anyone should be expecting a RAV4 plug-in for under £40k.

I was in the dealer's on Wednesday - they have no more information and, disappointingly, apparently no idea when they will get more info.

I had given up on waiting for the plug-in and was trying to buy a hybrid Excel. Currently they are unable to place an order for any RAV - apparently Toyota UK are tweaking specs and/or prices for 2021 - and are limited to shifting existing UK stock ... ☹️

• Like 1

I think the price difference in the RAV4 plug-in will be greater than the Prius because the RAV will need a much higher capacity Battery than the Prius.

Reviewers in the US who've had access to a RAV4 Prime seem to think the 40+ mile EV range is realistic in most circumstances, while the 30 odd mile range in the Prius has often been put at a little less.  The HV Battery and electric motors in the RAV4 Prime will have to work much harder as it's a heavier vehicle with a very blunt aerodynamic profile (standard RAV CD = 0.32) compared to the Prius' superb (0.24) - at launch the Gen 4 Prius (on 15" wheels) was one of the 5 best CD figures of any available production passenger car, and equalled the Tesla Model S which has the considerable advantage of not needing a radiator grille or having exhausted plumbing under the car.

Apparently, the RAV4 Prime has slightly jacked up suspension to accommodate the HV Battery under the entire floor (Vs under rear seats in standard RAV).  That's probably why the RAV still has room for a space saver spare wheel under the boot floor and the Prius plug-in doesn't.

That's a big difference, I got a Rav4 Excell brand new 20 plate for just over 30k, that's quite alot of fuel you need to be saving!!