Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 plug-in - more detail

FROSTYBALLS

It's not just about money, it's also about being able to do a high proportion of one's driving without polluting populated areas, especially if you have access to wind, solar etc. power.

Hybrids are a stepping stone in the right direction, plug-ins more so, towards a goal of totally emission-free transport.  The more people that reduce their harmful emissions the better for all.

That said, some are now starting to focus on the debris from tyres and brakes, with claims they are just as damaging as burning fossil fuel.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PeteB said:

It's not just about money, it's also about being able to do a high proportion of one's driving without polluting populated areas, especially if you have access to wind, solar etc. power.

Hybrids are a stepping stone in the right direction, plug-ins more so, towards a goal of totally emission-free transport.  The more people that reduce their harmful emissions the better for all.

That said, some are now starting to focus on the debris from tyres and brakes, with claims they are just as damaging as burning fossil fuel.

I get you but over £10.000 for me to save the environment is a big ask, I will do my very very very little part with my hybrid for now. 

• Like 1

Now I’ve been to my local dealer for a quick look. Nice, top trim level car , with HUD etc but no spare wheel.

Hopefully I’ll test drive on Monday 31 august.

In Sweden You still get 44.000 sek ( 3.850.5 GBP I think) in grant (after six mounths) if You buy a new Rav 4 PHEV and the road tax is still 360 sek/år ( 31.3 GBP/year I think).

In my small town there’s a lot of free charging stations and they all get their elecricity from ”green” sources.

So with our driving scedule and god charge planning we could drive an RAV 4 Plug In on allmost pure EV at nearly no charging costs (at least for now and for us personaly)

21 minutes ago, HSDish said:

Now I’ve been to my local dealer for a quick look. Nice, top trim level car , with HUD etc but no spare wheel.

Hopefully I’ll test drive on Monday 31 august.

In Sweden You still get 44.000 sek ( 3.850.5 GBP I think) in grant (after six mounths) if You buy a new Rav 4 PHEV and the road tax is still 360 sek/år ( 31.3 GBP/year I think).

In my small town there’s a lot of free charging stations and they all get their elecricity from ”green” sources.

So with our driving scedule and god charge planning we could drive an RAV 4 Plug In on allmost pure EV at nearly no charging costs (at least for now and for us personaly)

Any free charging near us has long since ended, most are put your credit card in and pay through the nose, tbh that's if someone hasn't parked their Range Rover in the nice bit wide. EV space 😂,don't get me wrong I like the idea but if this goes over the 40k threshold in the UK then its a real big no no for me.

• Thanks 1

This is the issue. Everyone likes/Loves the idea of an EV, but its just too costly to achieve at the moment.

Still feels like the Manufacturers that supply the UK are treating EV's as Premium product when in reality they shoudn't be.

If we had the likes of the Chinese Manufacturers, like Geely, BYD, Shanghai Auto, Zotye who all have high quality, innovative and cheaper products, selling in the UK, it would be a good thing in my view as it would drive competition and give increased options. 

Our 2nd car is an 8 year old Skoda Yeti which we are starting to consider changing for an EV. it does 50 miles a day on a commute so is an ideal candidate for EV adoption, but there isn't anything of similar size out their. we don't want a new car, a couple of years old is roughly what we want. But nothing is really filtering through the 2nd hand market. Let alone looking at new. Demand is out stripping supply causing higher prices.

Guess we will just have to wait about 5-10 years for more EV's to filter down through the Fleet market.

6 minutes ago, BigR1ch said:

This is the issue. Everyone likes/Loves the idea of an EV, but its just too costly to achieve at the moment.

Still feels like the Manufacturers that supply the UK are treating EV's as Premium product when in reality they shoudn't be.

If we had the likes of the Chinese Manufacturers, like Geely, BYD, Shanghai Auto, Zotye who all have high quality, innovative and cheaper products, selling in the UK, it would be a good thing in my view as it would drive competition and give increased options. 

Our 2nd car is an 8 year old Skoda Yeti which we are starting to consider changing for an EV. it does 50 miles a day on a commute so is an ideal candidate for EV adoption, but there isn't anything of similar size out their. we don't want a new car, a couple of years old is roughly what we want. But nothing is really filtering through the 2nd hand market. Let alone looking at new. Demand is out stripping supply causing higher prices.

Guess we will just have to wait about 5-10 years for more EV's to filter down through the Fleet market.

Yeh exactly my issue, anything that was new and did a half decent amount of mileage to the charge was stupidly expensive even for the likes of Kia/ Hyundai etc, plus I needed something that can get me down to Cornwall in one go (approx 280 miles) , it just didn't happen tbh, so I went for the hybrid Rav and that got us down and back to Cornwall on the one tank 👍

5 hours ago, HSDish said:

Now I’ve been to my local dealer for a quick look. Nice, top trim level car , with HUD etc but no spare wheel...

I must say I'm surprised by this, given all RAV4 Prime in the US seem to have the spare wheel.

I'd be willing to bet we will get a spare in the UK though.

26 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I must say I'm surprised by this, given all RAV4 Prime in the US seem to have the spare wheel.

I'd be willing to bet we will get a spare in the UK though.

#edit

Just seen an American video of the plug in and that has a spare

I do like the idea of HUD though, does anyone have images or pics of the HUD. 

1 minute ago, 182_blue said:

Possibly or is the lack of spare down to lack of space in the boot due to extra batteries? 

Nope!  This is true of the Prius plug-in, but the RAV4 plug-in has the Battery under the main passenger compartment floor, not the boot.  They've had to jack up the suspension slightly to allow for it and still give good ground clearance.

If there's room for a space saver on the US model (which admittedly will be made over there, whereas ours will come from Japan) I'd wouldn't expect there to be anything different under the boot floor in EU models.

9 minutes ago, 182_blue said:

You missed my edit 👍

You're right!  I responded to the emailed version so didn't see it.

I was looking for a picture of the HUD and found a video with the boot being opened, for reference im still looking for a HUD video/pic !

I also saw on the same video the American prime had a TPMS display on the dash ? (like the Chinese aftermarket kit you can buy)

16 minutes ago, 182_blue said:

I was looking for a picture of the HUD and found a video with the boot being opened, for reference im still looking for a HUD video/pic !

I also saw on the same video the American prime had a TPMS display on the dash ? (like the Chinese aftermarket kit you can buy)

I haven't yet seen a video of the RAV4 Prime's HUD, but this Prius video will give you the idea (it starts at the point of the HUD appearing): https://youtu.be/YdDr3udvx_I?t=13

I believe the US version displays SatNav info in the HUD, but whether the UK version will (if we actually get the HUD that is) remains to be seen.

I was extremely disappointed that the RAV4 Excel didn't have a HUD after my last 2 Prius had it (since 2009), especially given the much higher price of the RAV4.  After a year an over 11,000 miles I still really, really really hate not having it (only changed because the Prius was too low and I started having major hip problems).  I believe the HUD is a major contributor to safety, and given how Toyota bang on about their safety features I'm very angry they don't fit it in more of their cars - after all, they have the technology!

In some countries the Gen 3 (2009-2016) Prius had the full TPMS dash display.  I've driven some Lexus models that have it, and it's really much better.  TPWS is better than nothing.

20 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I haven't yet seen a video of the RAV4 Prime's HUD, but this Prius video will give you the idea (it starts at the point of the HUD appearing): https://youtu.be/YdDr3udvx_I?t=13

I believe the US version displays SatNav info in the HUD, but whether the UK version will (if we actually get the HUD that is) remains to be seen.

I was extremely disappointed that the RAV4 Excel didn't have a HUD after my last 2 Prius had it (since 2009), especially given the much higher price of the RAV4.  After a year an over 11,000 miles I still really, really really hate not having it (only changed because the Prius was too low and I started having major hip problems).  I believe the HUD is a major contributor to safety, and given how Toyota bang on about their safety features I'm very angry they don't fit it in more of their cars - after all, they have the technology!

In some countries the Gen 3 (2009-2016) Prius had the full TPMS dash display.  I've driven some Lexus models that have it, and it's really much better.  TPWS is better than nothing.

Interesting video, thanks, it looks good, new dash for an aftermarket fit though 😂

It's an option I got by accident on my VW Tiguan and it's not something I would have paid the £500 list price for BUT I absolutely loved it in use and I found it really useful with the sat nav directions and speed etc on it.

I did miss it but have kind of managed without it now, it did help when I changed my dash from normal speedo to the digital speedo though so I can just see the speed instead on the conventional speedo. 

1 minute ago, 182_blue said:

... it did help when I changed my dash from normal speedo to the digital speedo though so I can just see the speed instead on the conventional speedo. 

I also particularly liked having the HSI on the HUD - I used it to gauge my braking to maximise regen without losing sight of the road ahead.  There's no way I'd drop my gaze down to the RAV's dash while braking.

I wouldn't have considered the RAV if it didn't have the option of a digital speedo, having had them since 2000 and over 330,000 miles.  Added advantage in the RAV that the digital speed is shown at the top of the display - the bottom half is washed out in bright light, even when the Sun's not directly on it.  I often can't see the trip meters, temperature etc.

Having seen the displays in Volvos, Skodas, Fords and Hondas I wish the people at Toyota would take a look and bring their screens up to a resolution and clarity that is fit for the 2020s - one motoring journal (forget which now) described the RAVs screens as reminiscent of 1980s video games - a bit harsh but shows what some people think of them.

I must admit if the Honda CRV had a spare tyre I'd have bought one.  Their new 2 motor Hybrid system is getting rave reviews in the US and being touted as having overtaken Toyota's Hybrid system.  It mimicks the 3 modes of the Toyota system (electric only, engine only and both) but in very different ways.

The CRV does have a HUD and US reviewers have all said the mechanical AWD system feels more sure-footed than the RAV's, although that same mechanical system might be the reason there's no room for a spare wheel (but more likely the car wasn't designed with Hybrid in mind, so it's probably the battery).

When it came to choosing between HUD and spare wheel, it was hard, but the wheel won - just .

If I'll get the possibility (which it seems to) test drive on monday 31 august I'll try to take some photos of the HUD and underneath the boot floor.

I'll even ask more about the spare wheel (have just talked to /asked one local salesman)

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 7:10 PM, PeteB said:

I must admit if the Honda CRV had a spare tyre I'd have bought one.  Their new 2 motor Hybrid system is getting rave reviews in the US and being touted as having overtaken Toyota's Hybrid system.  It mimicks the 3 modes of the Toyota system (electric only, engine only and both) but in very different ways.

The CRV does have a HUD and US reviewers have all said the mechanical AWD system feels more sure-footed than the RAV's, although that same mechanical system might be the reason there's no room for a spare wheel (but more likely the car wasn't designed with Hybrid in mind, so it's probably the battery).

When it came to choosing between HUD and spare wheel, it was hard, but the wheel won - just .

I did look at the CRV but I couldn't get the price near my excel and I want to keep this car a bit longer than I normally do so the 5 year warranty helped over the 3 with Honda.

Couldn't test drive to day. Dealers had not charged  the car yet. Sat in the car and took a closer look.

There was HUD with sat. nav (couldn't take any photo cause of to bright light and I did not have enough time to take a closer look in the menues to change settings) on this top trim model "Style" with premium pack, but no spare wheel.

DSC_1259.JPG

DSC_1260.JPG

• Thanks 2

HUD (on top of the dashboard)

DSC_1262_-_kopia.JPG

• Thanks 1

Couldn't find any dedicated buttons for HUD (as in Prius and Prius+)

(probably adjustable in some menue)

Seems like all modells comes with black inner ceiling.

Will (make a new) try to do a test drive this friday 4 sept.

No dedicated HUD buttons here

DSC_1263 - kopia.JPG

DSC_1267 - kopia (2).JPG

DSC_1268 (2).JPG

• Thanks 1

The HUD looked quite like the prius HUD in PeteB's videolink above, but there was a SatNav symbol to the left.

(I didn't drive so I couoldn't see properly)

I'll try to get better pics at the HUD if I'll do a test drive on friday 4 sept.

I'll ask the dealer about HUD adjustment, too

1 hour ago, HSDish said:

...I'll ask the dealer about HUD adjustment, too

I don't know for sure, but you may well find them if you use the buttons on the steering wheel to go into the menus on the dash info screen (not the bigger info/audio screen) - move across until you're on the cog symbol (settings) and then go up or down to see if the HUD is listed.  If it's there, you can probably adjust the height and brightness of the HUD display.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, PeteB said:

I don't know for sure, but you may well find them if you use the buttons on the steering wheel to go into the menus on the dash info screen (not the bigger info/audio screen) - move across until you're on the cog symbol (settings) and then go up or down to see if the HUD is listed.  If it's there, you can probably adjust the height and brightness of the HUD display.

That's right. Found the adjustment for the HUD at the up and down buttons on the left side of the steering wheel.

(as on the mid pic at steering wheel abowe)

Looks like this. (pics below)

Made a 25 km test drive to day. Very nice and competent car.

Tried to take a photo of the HUD on the windshield ( se pic below)

Yesterday when I sat in an other Rav 4 Plug In demo and looked att the HUD I saw a SatNaw symbol to the left but in the todays car it seems moore lik a laneassit to me .

"På" is " On" in Swedish

"Körass" is "Driving assisance"

DSC_1309 - kopia.JPG

DSC_1311 - kopia.JPG

DSC_1312.JPG

DSC_1294 (2).JPG

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, HSDish said:

No RAV 4 Plug In in UK yet?

Hardly a whisper.  Last update I can find is on Toyota UK's blog at https://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-reveals-new-rav4-plug-in-hybrid

This is what it says:

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. The RAV4 Plug-in hybrid will go on sale later this year, with pricing to be announced at a later date too.

• Thanks 1