Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 plug-in - more detail

FROSTYBALLS

On 8/28/2020 at 6:53 PM, 182_blue said:

Interesting video, thanks, it looks good, new dash for an aftermarket fit though 😂

It's an option I got by accident on my VW Tiguan and it's not something I would have paid the £500 list price for BUT I absolutely loved it in use and I found it really useful with the sat nav directions and speed etc on it.

I did miss it but have kind of managed without it now, it did help when I changed my dash from normal speedo to the digital speedo though so I can just see the speed instead on the conventional speedo. 

I got my RAV4 Excel in October 2019, is it likely I would have option to switch my speedo to a digital format?

1 hour ago, Class of 77 said:

I got my RAV4 Excel in October 2019, is it likely I would have option to switch my speedo to a digital format?

Yep.  Using the buttons lon the left side of the steering wheel, move left or right to the Cog Icon, find Settings, then Meter Type.

Apart from preferring a digital speedo, the Numerals are near the top of the display and not so badly washed out by bright sunlight (even when not directly on the display).  Toyota should really look at the clarity of the likes of Ford, Skoda and other manufacturers' displays - displays of this quality should have been updated 10 years ago.

20190309_115601.thumb.jpg.367755c6678c81f8a4c853a729498d58.jpg1326823055_20190309_115635MeterType.thumb.jpg.7b0dc56bd16186ffd3b5707aa60999d7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yep.  Using the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel, move left or right to the Cog Icon, find Settings, then Meter Type.

Thanks for this info Pete. 😁

Edited by Class of 77
Include previous text

Toyota Stafford told me they expect to have the Prime around February/March.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard from my local dealer that the first RAV 4 Plug In are delivered to costomers by now (some two weeks ago), here in Sweden

Suzuki ACROSS will be available from £45,599, so suspect RAV4  Plug In will be close to £50.000 (in the 40K tax bracket)

£50K, wow!. I thought Honda CRV's were expensive! If this does end up being the price tag then I'm out! I've been looking forwards to getting a Prime but that kind of price would put me off.

Anyone got a better estimate to cheer me up?

I may have to stay with Honda ....      

In Sweden prices start at 499 999 sek (about 40 620 GBP i think) but then Youll get an climate bonus with 38 000 sek (about 3 087GBP i think) to 44.000 sek ( 3.850.5 GBP I think) in grant (after six mounths but this is "paused" just now) if You buy a new Rav 4 PHEV and the road tax is still 360 sek/år ( 31.3 GBP/year I think). in Sweden soo...

Youll end up paying about 462 000 sek (about 37 556 GBP) for lowes trim model, in Sweden

Top trim level cost 599 999 sek (about 52.576 GBP i think) and the 38 000 sek (about 3 087GBP i think) to 44.000 sek ( 3.850.5 GBP I think) grant is "paused" just now

Hi

Can’t see why Toyota would allow Suzuki to basically sell their car under another Badge at a lesser price.

So I reckon it will be the same or very little in it price wise.

It will come down to what Badge you prefer.

Terry.

12 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

Can’t see why Toyota would allow Suzuki to basically sell their car under another badge at a lesser price.

The Across (Suzuki version of the Rav4 Plug in with different frontal treatment) and the Swace (Suzuki version of the Corolla Touring Sport) are part of the collaboration with Suzuki, where Toyota will produce versions of Suzuki engines for compact cars in Poland, and will get Toyota versions of Suzuki small cars for the Asian market.

1 hour ago, HSDish said:

In Sweden prices start at 499 999 sek (about 40 620 GBP i think) but then Youll get an climate bonus with 38 000 sek (about 3 087GBP i think) to 44.000 sek ( 3.850.5 GBP I think) in grant (after six mounths but this is "paused" just now) if You buy a new Rav 4 PHEV and the road tax is still 360 sek/år ( 31.3 GBP/year I think). in Sweden soo...

Youll end up paying about 462 000 sek (about 37 556 GBP) for lowes trim model, in Sweden

Top trim level cost 599 999 sek (about 52.576 GBP i think) and the 38 000 sek (about 3 087GBP i think) to 44.000 sek ( 3.850.5 GBP I think) grant is "paused" just now

My issue is my Excell hybrid came it at just over 30k, £7500 is a lot of fuel !

On 10/25/2020 at 11:52 AM, Terry10 said:

Can’t see why Toyota would allow Suzuki to basically sell their car under another badge at a lesser price.

I think it is a matter of perception.  Toyota have a more "upmarket" image, so Toyota devotees would be expected not to be attracted to Suzuki..  And Toyota are probably happy, just to keep their factories and suppliers busy.

EDIT:  The Suzuki may have a lower level of gizmos, which account more for price than cost. 

Edited by IanML

On 10/27/2020 at 8:12 AM, IanML said:

I think it is a matter of perception.  Toyota have a more "upmarket" image, so Toyota devotees would be expected not to be attracted to Suzuki..  And Toyota are probably happy, just to keep their factories and suppliers busy.

EDIT:  The Suzuki may have a lower level of gizmos, which account more for price than cost. 

Looking at the website, it seems Suzuki is selling only a fully loaded single model, it will be Toyota supplying the less posh versions.

Hi again

We shall see when Toyota get around to putting prices out. Can’t really see them doing that deal to keep the factory running as they are struggling to supply demand at the moment anyway for the Rav4.

I know Toyota are good but we are not talking Merc or BMW here are we.They have the Lexus brand for that market.

At the end of the day if I could get the same car with a different Badge on it a few grand cheaper then to me its a no brainer.

regards Terry

20 hours ago, Terry10 said:

Can’t really see them doing that deal to keep the factory running as they are struggling to supply demand at the moment anyway for the Rav4.

Not about just keeping the Rav4 factory running.

As I said earlier, this is part of a collaboration deal which involves Suzuki getting the Across and Swace (Corolla Touring Sports), and Toyota getting a new engine for compact cars (which are being built by Toyota Poland), and new compact cars for Asian markets (Toyota versions of Suzuki compact cars).

Also for UK owners, the Across and Swace will have Suzuki's 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty rather than Toyota GB's 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Terry10 said:

Can’t really see them doing that deal to keep the factory running as they are struggling to supply demand at the moment anyway for the Rav4.

Demand versus supply is about forecasting sales, Toyota underestimated the demand for the new RAV, they would have looked at the size of markets, historic sales, sales expectations and ambitions. From this they would have submitted a 12 month forecast to Toyota Europe who would then process the forecast for europe and order the units from the factory, As the lead time from Japan is 6 months they can't just increase production, there may be opportunities to take a under performing markets allocation but the new RAV is a big seller.

As frostyballs says it's more than just getting capacity through the factory but all factories are looking at utilisation, that's the trade off, give some production to Suzuki and get some engines from suzuki.

Supply will get back to normal soon (Covid permitting) as the new forecasts will match orders.

Looking at the company car tax calculator on fleetnews, early predicted depreciation on the Suzuki Across is a lot higher than a RAV4, A £45K Across PHEV and a £37K RAV4 Excel 4wd. 

After 3 years 60K miles, its predicting the RAV4 will actually be worth £1000 more!!

Crazy when its the same car/factory, does mean the Suzuki is going to be a used bargain for someone in the future.

The preconceptions of Toyota quality in my experience is a bit overated, my car has now developed a squeaky seat going over bumps to add to the list of niggles.

2 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

Looking at the company car tax calculator on fleetnews, early predicted depreciation on the Suzuki Across is a lot higher than a RAV4, A £45K Across PHEV and a £37K RAV4 Excel 4wd. 

After 3 years 60K miles, its predicting the RAV4 will actually be worth £1000 more!!

Crazy when its the same car/factory, does mean the Suzuki is going to be a used bargain for someone in the future.

The preconceptions of Toyota quality in my experience is a bit overated, my car has now developed a squeaky seat going over bumps to add to the list of niggles.

Ford had the Nissan Terrano II rebadged as a Maverick. Despite being the same vehicle the Maverick was a poorer car due to the servicing/maintenance habits of Ford owners v. Nissan owners.

LMM 😊

15 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Ford had the Nissan Terrano II rebadged as a Maverick. Despite being the same vehicle the Maverick was a poorer car due to the servicing/maintenance habits of Ford owners v. Nissan owners.

LMM 😊

It works the other way sometimes, we once had a Citroen C-Crosser, wouldn't have bought a French car back then (they are better these days granted) but we knew the C-Crosser was a rebadged Mitsubishi Outlander. It was cheaper than an Outlander and actually had a superior 2.2 PSA diesel engine, the Outlander at that times was using bought in much cruder VW 2.0 PD engines.  It served us well for a few years when a 7 seater was useful.

5 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

It works the other way sometimes, we once had a Citroen C-Crosser, wouldn't have bought a French car back then (they are better these days granted) but we knew the C-Crosser was a rebadged Mitsubishi Outlander. It was cheaper than an Outlander and actually had a superior 2.2 PSA diesel engine, the Outlander at that times was using bought in much cruder VW 2.0 PD engines.  It served us well for a few years when a 7 seater was useful.

Absolutely. Not be able to purchase a Mitsubishi for much longer though.

LMM 😊

The parent company of Ssangyong GB are in talks regarding taking over the distribution rights for Mitsubishi in the UK, and this may include new Mitsubishis beyond 2022.

22 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The parent company of Ssangyong GB are in talks regarding taking over the distribution rights for Mitsubishi in the UK, and this may include new Mitsubishis beyond 2022.

There is money in Mitsubishi sales still, I had an Outlander PHEV, and they are still popular choice among our company drivers.

The Outlander does face some stiffer competition now from other PHEV's though so its niche is ending, the RAV/Across and Ford Kuga to just name 2 that do it better.

2 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

The Outlander does face some stiffer competition now from other PHEV's though so its niche is ending, the RAV/Across and Ford Kuga to just name 2 that do it better.

I was tempted by 6the Outlander until I saw it had no spare wheel.  I liked the steering wheel paddles that changed the regen braking force.

The RAV4 Prime in the USA is the only PHEV I know of that has a spare wheel, and it will be interesting to see if the UK gets one when the car arrives here (current estimates next spring). 

I was surprised to hear from Kenth that the RAV4 PHEV in Sweden didn't get a spare.