Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1985 Hiace II Dormobile Camper Engine conversion question

Concon

Hello people, 

First off, my sympathise to my fellow old Hiace owners looking for parts! I have felt your pain. 
I did find a site www.jpparts.com that have all sorts of stuff. 
Maybe have a look there https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/cartypelist.php?maker=toyota&type=711120

So! I have a beautiful 1985 Hiace II Dormobile camper, I love it! 
The thing is, it is one of the 2 litre petrol engine ones, and it DRINKS fuel. 
Ideally I'd love to convert her into an EV but the cost of that is putting me off.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience of converting one of these to diesel. 
Specifically I am wondering about installing a relatively modern engine in her, or at least, more modern and efficient than 1985!

So I am wondering about engines, transmissions and such, she's a rear wheel drive and has 5 speed column shift. 
4 forward ones and one reverse. 

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Best Wishes IMG_20190520_180530.thumb.jpg.739365a8511087e61f988fc978010641.jpg

Conor

IMG_20190530_071209.jpg

IMG_20190804_102702.jpg

Hi Conor,

I can't help you but I was wondering if you could help me?

I just viewed a toyota hiace 1984 2.0l petrol that's in pretty good condition, so very similar to yours.

I was wondering if you could give me any advice on the van especially considering it's age and any tips you've found from owning one? I'm pretty keen on buying it but wanted some info on it first.

Any info is much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Laura

• 2 years later...

Hey Laura,
I'm so sorry, I never saw this at the time!
Did you buy it in the end?
I hope it's been going well for you. My one is still in great working order.
Auld lads often come up to me when I'm out in mine and get misty eyed.
The general consensus is that the engines are bullet proof but the bodies are very prone to rust.
So keeping it out of the weather is definitely preferable. 
First thing a friend recommended me to do was change the oil, oil filters, air filter and sparkplugs. Basic service really but when you get an old machine it's hard to know when it was done last.
Also, I've found it can be very thirsty on fuel, but this can be mitigated a bit if you keep the speed low. Basically it's not great for motorway driving! And actually, given the shape of it, it's like a sail and really wobbles when trucks pass you out (which is not a lot of craic)
I recommend sticking to the old roads if possible, and just allowing more time to get where-ever you're going.
Apart from that, Wiper Blades have proven a bit elusive here in Ireland, so if you get some, maybe get a couple of sets so you don't need to worry in the future!
Once again, apologies for the 2 years late reply.
Best of luck!

Conor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links