Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Motorized headlight adjustment; RAV4.3

Dippy

I have a 11 year old RAV4.3 with headlights and the dash roller switch that can move them down if I have weight behind. 

I bought a good quality HID kit (HIDS4U) for my H11 projector dipped beam and fitted it myself.  Not difficult, and I barely do an oil change myself these days. Both lights come on well and throw a clear horizontal line as they should. 

1. The line is too high.  At the HID kit recommended range of 7.5m from a wall it is about 63cm high, but it should be just below headlight centre which is about 48cm. I see the vertical adjuster, a bizarrely hidden white screw with 6mm? Hex head at the base of a narrow V.  But I need a hex bar 20cm plus to get to it! Is that right, do I have to buy a special tool? Seems weird. 

2. Will I succeed to lower the line 15cm or is that so far out of spec that I should try to re-mount the bulb first? I’d prefer not to...!

3. As the car is a daily I used the roller wheel to keep the lights low for the moment. I can see it lowers the driver side light a bit, then stops, but continues to lower the passenger side much more. Is that normal or is something wrong with the driver side, and any idea what? Motor, adjuster, stone jammed under it? I’d have thought it more logical that pax side adjusted little as then I only blind hedges, not oncoming traffic..

(Please no digressions into the legality of the kit, I’ve followed them a lot on another forum...)

Thanks!

Would a 1/4" drive socket set provide enough reach, using the 2 extension bars they normally come with (in UK), plus a 6mm allen key to suit 1/4" drive which may or may not be in the same set?  I've experienced awkward access to adjust headlights in the past, and it can be difficult getting to the adjusters.

Thanks. Not sure I have that, but the head is sunk below such a narrow V that I’m pretty sure the bit holder would not get past it. 

As you say, alternatively it's a special tool.  Or, a length of hexagonal bar, but you'll only know it's 6mm once it's slotted in.  Presume it'll be same size as the other alignment adjuster

I'm certain I've seen simple, low quality sets of hex wrenches for 1 pound in a Poundland or equivalent shop. 

If they had a 6mm included, then you could saw one to fit (jammed) into the 6mm socket of the previously mentioned socket set.  I am certain that it would be tough enough for a headlamp adjuster. 

On 1/16/2020 at 10:47 PM, Dippy said:

No one knows?

Here in the UK laws restrict HID to only fitted to vehicles that come with it has standard, though it has not stopped some from doing the modification. That is why there was hardly much initial response.
You stated in your first post that you fitted the kit yourself. Did you make sure there is nothing fouling the movement, and the kit cable it not short on the headlight? Not sure if the level was designed to bring the headlight on the oncoming side lower, to not blind drivers approaching.
Go over the installation again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links